Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Robotool retro

Post by martyscncgarage »

Take the VFD out of the cabinet temporarily. Set it on top, make a longer signal cable from Acorn to the VFD and retest. If that solves your problems move the VFD to the top corner of the cabinet and have the motor power cable enter the side of the cabinet just beneath the VFD

In other words, isolate the VFD from drive electronics as much as possible.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
geckocycles
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by geckocycles »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:54 am Take the VFD out of the cabinet temporarily. Set it on top, make a longer signal cable from Acorn to the VFD and retest. If that solves your problems move the VFD to the top corner of the cabinet and have the motor power cable enter the side of the cabinet just beneath the VFD

In other words, isolate the VFD from drive electronics as much as possible.
Marty
I can do for sure and thought of it. I just see so many controls with everything crammed in a tight spot. I thought for sure being I have separated the control into 3 enclosures with tons of space I would of been safe as could be. I guess the VFD has more interference than I figured. THe only reason I am using this large enclosure is because the the VFD fit into it and the other enclosures I have aren't as deep or even larger. I wouldn't mind having it outside and use the smaller enclosures I have.

I'll try this first before getting a new VFD.
The VFD cable I got was 3 conductor with bare ground. This is what they sold me when I asked for VFD cable.
I ordered the 4 conductor vfd cable which has a insulated ground from the shield I see. 20' minimum order from Automation but I found the same cable in 10' from Belden.

I'm sure I'll get it figured out before I get too old.
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

Problem solved. Ran 3 hrs of programming and returned exactly to 0. No errors in the report.
2 issues found.
One of the motor wires from the VFD was not in correctly although it was tight. It is hard to see but it was just not making good contact all the time. weird being it was tight.
I removed the 2 snubbers on the relays. I did not have them on correctly. I was going o hook them up today although it is working as it is. The relays are in separate enclosure, maybe that is why no difference if they are off?

Cut splines for rear bicycle gear.
1st cut spline.jpg
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Good to hear. Keep us posted if all your issues resolved.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

Finishing up my 3rd part today after a near crash last night.
For some reason the tool settings are not being saved in Fusion. I didn't notice and made a 1/2" deep, .2 stepover, 3/8 4 flute EM in AL at 124 IPM 2750 rpm. IT did fine and was scary to look at being that was not the feed rate I had set in the tool, I'm still mostly at 10 IPM till I get the hang of it all. LOL THe next operation came scary close to hittin the vice. I stopped before. I forgot to reset Z0 after changing out my parallels.

I bought some more tool holders on Ebay and 3 of them have a different flange dia and thickness. They would of worked if I used a drawbar which I have but I am using the Erickson QC30 nut. I could turn the od fine but the flange thickness is too thin and I wouldn't think it would work right after I turned the flange OD.

I saw a great video on how to setup your tools in the library. I'm not doing any production and most everything I do is one off. My friend suggest not setting up tool heights being I would be swapping tools in holders as I brake them and he found it Just an extra step. As I get more holders I may setup the tool heights but I need to be sure XYZ is always going to be remembered correctly first. So far so good.

I have lots of learning to do, so fun and thanks once again for all your help with this total newbe to CNC. I did take on a HUGE project for being new to this all.

I am now going to get the wireless pendant. I held off till I was sure I got the machine working. I have a wired one on the CNC4PC control which I never used. Why is there no way to be able to use a wired one? It's only money, but times are harder these days.
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

I need to spend some time on the tool library. Fusion and Centroid tool numbers don't match and it adds some confusion when Centroid says 3/8 endmill and I am center drilling. I just had to make sure it was going to drill instead of mill by looking at the code first.
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

After making a few good parts I put back on the enclosure door and now I'm losing steps again. It just made a bad part and luckily didn't hurt anything. I am keepin a close eye on things and slowing down the travel at the sketchy parts and hand on the estop always.

THe new VFD cable should be here tomorrow. If that doesn't work then the VFD and EMI is going to get mounted outside.
Jeeze, just when all was going good. I did order the wireless pendant.
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

THe duel shield VFD cable did the trick. Ran an extended test and returned to 0 just fine. Made a few simple parts with the door closed for my intake manifolds.
I also put the Snubbers on correctly this time before I got the new cable. Made no difference in my tests.

I don't understand the tool paths, lots to learn.

I have to figure out how to make the table move to a spot that is easier to make tool changes when needed.

Also I am not fond of setting Z0 every time I change tools like my friend does and suggested. I forgot twice and remembered in time. Just need more time on the machine on many levels.

THe Pendant should be here tomorrow.
cooling flange.jpg
cooling flange1.jpg
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Good to hear...now you can have fun and learn....
That dual shield VFD cable from Automationdirect.com while pricey and you have to by 20' for about $50 its worth it.....free shipping over $50
Keep us posted on things.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:33 pm Good to hear...now you can have fun and learn....
That dual shield VFD cable from Automationdirect.com while pricey and you have to by 20' for about $50 its worth it.....free shipping over $50
Keep us posted on things.
Marty
Thanks, at least I didn't have to get another VFD.
I found the same Belden cable with a minimum of 10' elsewhere. I didn't know about the free shipping. I really only needed about 6'. It didn't fit into my 1/2" flex conduit and I had to drill out the hole for 3/4" cable connector on the mill. Monster cable compared to the other VFD cable I got.

The Teco doesn't like the motor wire pin connectors. Fine for signals. This was one issue I found. A small spade works very well. Maybe if I took it out of the enclosure I could see if I could stuff the pins in better but I doubt it. That is some big 14g wire in the cable. I was barely able to get one gray pin in but the others were sketchy at best.