Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Robotool retro

Post by martyscncgarage »

Did you check and compensate for backlash per the Centroid Tech Bulletin? Marc also has a method and can be found in CNCSNW.com
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
geckocycles
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by geckocycles »

Yes I did compensate in software as per TB037. I will check out that one.

I have some more snubbers arriving tomorrow for the 3ph spindle motor and one for the VFD relay. The spindle is not on but the VFD relay is. I have snubber on the oiler line and main PS relay. Maybe that is an issue even though all but Acorn relays are in a separate enclosures and so are all PS's.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

VFD relay?
Mesa, AZ
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

martyscncgarage wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:31 pm VFD relay?
I have a relay that turns on the 220v to main PS for drives and one that sends 220 to IMI and then to VFD. I separate switch for LV PS to Acorn and C86. Main panel switch controls 220 and one 120v circuit for the oiler.
I'll have to make a new drawing showing Acorn system. I didn't change much from the old CNC4PC system as far as power supply to control and vfd.
martyscncgarage

In general, the VFD powers up when the control powers up. Per Centroid system schematic, the VFD COM is opened when there is a fault.

Sounds like you use several relays on power up controlled by one main switch?
Mesa, AZ
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

martyscncgarage wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:44 pm In general, the VFD powers up when the control powers up. Per Centroid system schematic, the VFD COM is opened when there is a fault.

Sounds like you use several relays on power up controlled by one main switch?
For the most part it is wired as per CNC4PC diagram. I had an electrical engineer design the main and 24v PS with relays using what I had. I left it alone from there. He never showed up after the first day again.

The main switch sends power to relays and 24v PS for relay coils. VFD coil is energized when main switch turns on. Acorn controls coil to main PS for drive circuit as soon as I start CNC12. Not sure where I got that from. I don't get the system schematic fully. I'll take a closer look as things progress. At least I know this is going to work as I piece meal this together.

At least for all this testing, I like having the LV PS for control on a separate switch. I have lots to learn running the software and don't need to listen to relays trippin and transformer buzzin unless I need to.

Got to go get a shoulder shot.
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

Got a few more things to dial in and I am sure more in the future. Thanks so much for all you guys for the help.
I had the tool holder fall out of the spindle after I thought I actually had really had it tight with the wrench. Put the first gouge in the table. Took allot of effort to find the problem and fix it. Kennemetal was of no help in the end although they did try hard. Weird they had no manual for the QC spindle nut but they did have a cad drawing of the nut.
After making a few test parts, I feel more confident on spending more on tooling and doing the little things to the machine.
Got 5 more tool holders on order as well as a rack. Shars not USA like the rest of my tooling. See how they look but the last ER40 set I got from them was very impressive and had less runout than my Erickson DA180 set. I got the Kurt from Shars too. Best price I found that was reliable.
kurt vice.jpg
robo tools.jpg
Actually a mister not a fog machine like my Cool MIst which after a hour of use you couldn't see across the shop.
mister.jpg
I had trouble doing tool changes with just a lever brake for the spindle. Needed two hands. I started to get a air cyclinder or make one and then I got getto. LOL Tried the spring clamp on the hand lever and it worked great. I just don't do enough KISS but the wife suggested it and here I am for now anyway.
getto air brake.jpg
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

I see another Fusion 360 Post Processor for Acorn. Not supported by Fusion or Centroid I see, so I will give it a try today or soon anyway.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2992
Couldn't find a Post Processor for BobCad V23 so I am learning Fusion now. Bummer, they had one for the Robotool when I bought the software but not using Robotool control anymore obviously. Lots of time and money wasted there, and I mean LOTS of both. BobCad and BobArt was not cheap.
geckocycles

Post by geckocycles »

Does only one end of the shield wire going to the spindle motor need to be grounded or both ends? The ground is a small bare wire and the foil wraps around so I see no way of separating them.

I am loosing steps in Y Axis when spindle motor is running but not when it is off.
I did not put snuIbbers on 3ph motor wires
I have snubbers on both relays (220 and FVD) and on the Acorn relay for the oiler. 220 is powering 24v transformer for the main relays too.
martyscncgarage

geckocycles wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:10 pm report_7804733ACA4C-1223192767_2020-08-28_16-26-38.zip

Does only one end of the shield wire going to the spindle motor need to be grounded or both ends? The ground is a small bare wire and the foil wraps around so I see no way of separating them.

I am loosing steps in Y Axis when spindle motor is running but not when it is off.
I did not put snuIbbers on 3ph motor wires
I have snubbers on both relays (220 and FVD) and on the Acorn relay for the oiler. 220 is powering 24v transformer for the main relays too.
Doesn't sound like you are using VFD cable.
Go to automationdirect.com and search VFD cable.
It has a braided shield around the conductors. I follow Belden Wire and cable's white paper and ground earth and shield at both ends. Motor and VFD.
I make sure the VFD has its own ground wire back to the service point in the control cabinet.
However, I do find it somewhat odd that only your Y axis is losing steps. Did you use shielded control cable from Acorn to the drives by chance?

Marty
Mesa, AZ