Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Additional conversational tutorials?

Post by martyscncgarage »

tblough wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:44 am The Centroid manuals are never going to be able to teach someone how to run a lathe. There are many books, videos, community college courses for that. Once you understand the basics of lathe operations; turning, facing, grooving, feeds and speeds for various materials, how to set-up and calibrate cutting tools, the Intercon tutorials will start to make sense.
Well said Tom!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Chaz
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Chaz »

I do agree however with the OP. Seeing some real life tutorials of someone using the conversational programming would be nice. I use it for a few simple bushings etc but as soon as I need to add chamfers / arcs, I struggle.
DocsMachine

Post by DocsMachine »

The manuals, which I'll freely admit I haven't by any means fully absorbed, are just "shopping lists". Do this, enter that value, done.

Yes, I'm sure it'll make more sense once I have a grasp of it, but I'm having a hard time getting that grasp- and the manual is written by experienced engineers, for experienced engineers. As others have noted, I'm looking for something a little more explanatory, and preferably stated more colloquially.

The one YouTube video is rushed, a little disjointed, told as if the listener knows all this stuff already, and really only covers a straight turn. As Chaz notes above, the problem starts when we need to build a series of angles, steps and arcs.

Doc.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

DocsMachine wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:18 am The manuals, which I'll freely admit I haven't by any means fully absorbed, are just "shopping lists". Do this, enter that value, done.

Yes, I'm sure it'll make more sense once I have a grasp of it, but I'm having a hard time getting that grasp- and the manual is written by experienced engineers, for experienced engineers. As others have noted, I'm looking for something a little more explanatory, and preferably stated more colloquially.

The one YouTube video is rushed, a little disjointed, told as if the listener knows all this stuff already, and really only covers a straight turn. As Chaz notes above, the problem starts when we need to build a series of angles, steps and arcs.

Doc.
Intercon is great for relatively simple parts, for something more complex, CAD/CAM would be easier in my opinion.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
DocsMachine

Post by DocsMachine »

Which is the exact opposite of what I've been told since the Acorn came out- that even complex pieces can be made easily and quickly in conversational. Even the demo pawn, which is about as complex a piece as I need to make, was supposedly "built" in conversational.

In any case, last time I asked- which has been a while- there was no functional post-processor for the lathe yet. Has that changed?

Doc.
Chaz
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Chaz »

DocsMachine wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:56 pm Which is the exact opposite of what I've been told since the Acorn came out- that even complex pieces can be made easily and quickly in conversational. Even the demo pawn, which is about as complex a piece as I need to make, was supposedly "built" in conversational.

In any case, last time I asked- which has been a while- there was no functional post-processor for the lathe yet. Has that changed?

Doc.
For which CAD? There is one for Fusion 360, search for it, Franco's will come up.
KevinTaylor

Post by KevinTaylor »

I know these videos are not centroid specific, but it may shed some light on how things in conversational are working. (some real examples) Maybe not, but it doesnt hurt to watch and see.

http://s3.cnccookbook.com/GWEUConversat ... zards.html
Shoptask turnado lathe converted to acorn (when I finally receive the machine)
Plasma table build with acron