Acorn not controlling DMM Servo (Added video to my post)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn not controlling DMM Servo

Post by martyscncgarage »

DanielCA92563 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:40 pm I just bench tested my new DYN-4 drive/motor, with new acorn Rev 4 and everything seems to working well.

IN DYN4 software:
I started by:
Confirmed servo turned in the DMMsoftware then changed to pulse/Dir/position ect per keiths Cheat sheet
- used CNCkeiths suggestion of 2048 Gear Number and Line number in DYN4 software (DMMDRV) I found this as well. Set Gear Num and Line to same value. Doesn't matter what, but make it at least 1000
- I did not invert the enable in the DMMDYN4 software. (this seems to be a new feature in the software)Correct! This feature was added for Centroid OAK compatibility.
- saved everything, and read drive to confirm it saved Yes, just make sure you change from RS232 to Step/Dir before saving the settings to DYN4

In acorn wizard
- I clicked on the radio button for DYN2/DYN4 and NO the estopOK
- Steps /REvolution set to 8192 (as keith suggested)
- I Unchecked the Enable in Advance Axis Configuration.
- set to 400Khz
- I did not change Parameter #991
- I know that every time I go into acorn wizard I'm going to have to uncheck the Enable in advance axis configuration before saving other settings. Since you are doing this in the Wizard, once you have made the inversion selection, you should not have to worry about changing it. Give it a try.

note:
* these were my initial settings that worked so I left them alone. I don't know if changing parameter 991 or if inverting DYN4 enable in the DMM software instead will work any differently.
* I'm running everything on 240V
* I'm not using DMM's DYN4 cable but rather two 4 wire shielded cables and a DB25 breakout board.
You did exactly as you are supposed to.
1) Benchtest Acorn BY ITSELF, establish communication between it and the CNC PC
2) Connect ONE DRIVE and ONE MOTOR and work to get it to move.
3) Connect the rest of the drives and motors and get them going

Could I trouble you to install MILL and repeat your bench test? (don't worry about not having a physical drive to connect to Z, Acorn won't care)See if you have to check the ENABLES in the ADVANCED tab or UNCHECK them. You should not need to do ANYTHING in DMMDRV.

However, I would like to see a screenshot of the DMMDRV screen after you READ from the drive.
Thanks!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

Oswaldo wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:57 pm But it has been the only way to make the engines move.
I made all possible settings, also click on the address box and it also worked. So I am believing that there is something unconfigured about the Program and I don't know how to repair it.
Oswaldo

Pero ha sido la única manera de hacer mover los motores.
hice todas las configuraciones posibles, tambien pulse la casilla de direccion y tambien funcionó . por lo que estoy creyendo que hay algo desconfigurado del Programa y no se como repararlo.
Oswaldo
You don't invert the step settings.
You need to double check your wiring to your servo drives. I think you miswired them.
I see you started a new post, that's where you need to post your OWN issues.
You are posting again in someone elses post, mixing things up. PLEASE post in your POST.
Mesa, AZ
DanielCA92563
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by DanielCA92563 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:54 am
DanielCA92563 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:40 pm I just bench tested my new DYN-4 drive/motor, with new acorn Rev 4 and everything seems to working well.

https://youtu.be/aUbWI4FpHrA

IN DYN4 software:
I started by:
Confirmed servo turned in the DMMsoftware then changed to pulse/Dir/position ect per keiths Cheat sheet
- used CNCkeiths suggestion of 2048 Gear Number and Line number in DYN4 software (DMMDRV) I found this as well. Set Gear Num and Line to same value. Doesn't matter what, but make it at least 1000
- I did not invert the enable in the DMMDYN4 software. (this seems to be a new feature in the software)Correct! This feature was added for Centroid OAK compatibility.
- saved everything, and read drive to confirm it saved Yes, just make sure you change from RS232 to Step/Dir before saving the settings to DYN4

In acorn wizard
- I clicked on the radio button for DYN2/DYN4 and NO the estopOK
- Steps /REvolution set to 8192 (as keith suggested)
- I Unchecked the Enable in Advance Axis Configuration.
- set to 400Khz
- I did not change Parameter #991
- I know that every time I go into acorn wizard I'm going to have to uncheck the Enable in advance axis configuration before saving other settings. Since you are doing this in the Wizard, once you have made the inversion selection, you should not have to worry about changing it. Give it a try.

note:
* these were my initial settings that worked so I left them alone. I don't know if changing parameter 991 or if inverting DYN4 enable in the DMM software instead will work any differently.
* I'm running everything on 240V
* I'm not using DMM's DYN4 cable but rather two 4 wire shielded cables and a DB25 breakout board.
You did exactly as you are supposed to.
1) Benchtest Acorn BY ITSELF, establish communication between it and the CNC PC
2) Connect ONE DRIVE and ONE MOTOR and work to get it to move.
3) Connect the rest of the drives and motors and get them going

Could I trouble you to install MILL and repeat your bench test? (don't worry about not having a physical drive to connect to Z, Acorn won't care)See if you have to check the ENABLES in the ADVANCED tab or UNCHECK them. You should not need to do ANYTHING in DMMDRV.

However, I would like to see a screenshot of the DMMDRV screen after you READ from the drive.
Thanks!
Marty
I installed MILL and it worked just as well at 400khz. In the ADVANCED tab I had to uncheck the enable again. Seems like wizard checks it every time I go in so I have to uncheck it. I’ve attached a screen shot of my DYN4 read.
Attachments
F4D5A9A1-6374-4831-BB9E-B90A666D3B93.jpeg
martyscncgarage

So you are UNCHECKING enable in the Wizard?
When you WRITE THE SETTINGS, exit the Wizard and come back in you are saying the enables are checked?
Good you are leaving the "Servo Enable Active Low" setting unchecked in the DMMDRV software.

Thank you for taking the time, to install Mill and check it for us. Very helpful. I am concerned about the Enables being unchecked somehow. Can you do a short video on this issue and post it?
Marty
Mesa, AZ
DanielCA92563

Post by DanielCA92563 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:41 am So you are UNCHECKING enable in the Wizard?
Yes
When you WRITE THE SETTINGS, exit the Wizard and come back in you are saying the enables are checked?
Yes
Good you are leaving the "Servo Enable Active Low" setting unchecked in the DMMDRV software.

Thank you for taking the time, to install Mill and check it for us. Very helpful. I am concerned about the Enables being unchecked somehow. Can you do a short video on this issue and post it?
Marty
Here is the video:
https://youtu.be/0SznkU9a9VY

I wouldn't call it an issue, more of an imperfection :) I thought this is what Keith was referring to on page one of this thread and that it would be fixed in Version 4.2?
marks3465
CNC11: No

Post by marks3465 »

I've been using 110 volts, I'm going to try 220 volts. I've noticed from the start that the enable reverts back to being checked every time i went back in Wizard. It definitely is very annoying.
marks3465
CNC11: No

Post by marks3465 »

I just tried Daniel's setup. It doesn't work for me. Now I can't drive my servo forward or backward. I will say the shaft is locked when I hit reset. Soon as I try X+ or X- the shaft unlocks and I can turn it with my fingers. The DRO shows movement but not the servo. Also the axis led on Acorn doesn't turn green anytime. Again I'm trying this at 110 volts. If I check the box for servo enable active low in the DMM software and then go into the Wizard and check the enable box in Advanced settings also change to 200khz I can control the servo. I close the Wizard hit reset and I can turn the servo shaft with my fingers. Soon as I hit the X+ or X- the axis led turns green and turns my servo. Ok this is the part that makes no sense, if I go back into the Wizard uncheck enable I get no movement from my servo. Its locked when I hit reset and soon as I hit the X+ or X- shaft unlocks and I can turn it my fingers. The DRO shows movement but the shaft doesn't turn when I try using X+ or X-. I also don't get a green led light come on for X axis.
DanielCA92563

Post by DanielCA92563 »

marks3465 wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:25 pm I just tried Daniel's setup. It doesn't work for me. Now I can't drive my servo forward or backward. I will say the shaft is locked when I hit reset. Soon as I try X+ or X- the shaft unlocks and I can turn it with my fingers. The DRO shows movement but not the servo. Also the axis led on Acorn doesn't turn green anytime. Again I'm trying this at 110 volts. If I check the box for servo enable active low in the DMM software and then go into the Wizard and check the enable box in Advanced settings also change to 200khz I can control the servo. I close the Wizard hit reset and I can turn the servo shaft with my fingers. Soon as I hit the X+ or X- the axis led turns green and turns my servo. Ok this is the part that makes no sense, if I go back into the Wizard uncheck enable I get no movement from my servo. Its locked when I hit reset and soon as I hit the X+ or X- shaft unlocks and I can turn it my fingers. The DRO shows movement but the shaft doesn't turn when I try using X+ or X-. I also don't get a green led light come on for X axis.
Can you upload closer pics of your wiring? The resolution on pic of your setup is not clear but your power to the DYN4 doesn’t look right. it should look like this.
Attachments
40E02971-8E66-455C-A3CB-4FF955101CE5.jpeg
Oswaldo
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn180322

Post by Oswaldo »

Daniel thanks for your response, I watched the video, and I did the procedure described, but I still can't turn in both directions, as I also followed Marty's video.
I am using the DMM connection cables and the Draiver is DYN2 the engines I am using are 640 DTS of 400 watts.
What is the name of your YouTube channel?
Sincerly
Oswaldo
Daniel gracias por su respuesta, vi el vídeo, y hice el procedimiento que esta descrito, pero todavía sigo sin poder hacer girar en las dos direcciones, como también seguí el vídeo de Marty.
Estoy usando los cables de conexión de DMM y el Draiver es DYN2 los motores que estoy usando son lo 640 DTS de 400 watios
Atentamente
Oswaldo
martyscncgarage

Oswaldo wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:59 pm Daniel thanks for your response, I watched the video, and I did the procedure described, but I still can't turn in both directions, as I also followed Marty's video.
I am using the DMM connection cables and the Draiver is DYN2 the engines I am using are 640 DTS of 400 watts.
What is the name of your YouTube channel?
Sincerly
Oswaldo
Daniel gracias por su respuesta, vi el vídeo, y hice el procedimiento que esta descrito, pero todavía sigo sin poder hacer girar en las dos direcciones, como también seguí el vídeo de Marty.
Estoy usando los cables de conexión de DMM y el Draiver es DYN2 los motores que estoy usando son lo 640 DTS de 400 watios
Atentamente
Oswaldo
Oswaldo, these guys are working with DYN4 not DYN2 like you are.
There is NO cable I am aware of that DMM provides for DYN2 as the DYN2 uses terminal blocks. Please post to your own thread
Marty
Mesa, AZ