Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn VS Tormach

Post by Dave_C »

I found it very interesting that Tormach's new PCNC1100M has gone to servos, moved the motion controller out of the PC much like Centroid does with the BBG and Tormach now communicates via Ethernet.

No doubt having to compete with Centorid made someone rethink what they were building!

Centroid had it right all along, good job guys!

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn VS Tormach

Post by cnckeith »

thanks for the stoke. wish we would have had Acorn 10 years ago, maybe then all those Tormach's would have Centroid's on them. :D
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

maybe then all those Tormach's would have Centroid's on them.
I'd own one right now if that was the case! The new 1100M is a new casting with increased Y travel which makes it more desirable than some of the mills we have at hand to convert. The 1100MX will have a BT30 spindle instead of the R-8.

The 1100M and 1100MX are a whole new casting, they just need a Centroid control to make it something I would buy.

Tormach is still debating on which Servo to use, the demo NYCCNC has is fitted with Clearpaths!

Maybe if enough of us let Tormach know we would like a Centroid control, they might take the hint!

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

in the industry it is a common thing for machine tool builders to offer two or sometimes several control mfg options on the same machine tool , maybe tormach could offer a Centroid option with Clearpaths?
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
fostereast
Acorn CNC Controller: No
CNC12: Yes

Post by fostereast »

If Tormach controller is closed loop, I can see benefits in simultaneous machining requirements that Acorn does not support. I suspect it is not necessary for a large portion of the DIY/Tabletop CNC population, but it is a need for some, and for others, a nice feature to check off.
Dan M
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8df84dfbdd5-0809181120

Post by Dan M »

Those 1100s are getting into hass territory on price these days and I don't know why anyone would buy one over a hass. I'm curious to see how it works out for them now that they're trying to compete with the big boys.

I personally think the way to go is doing a CNC Acorn conversion on a Little Machine Shop, Sieg, PM, or Grizzly table top mill. For the money you would save vs buying a Tormach you would have a tooled up nice little Mill for a fraction of the cost. If you're spending 30+k on a Tormach, skip it and get a hass mini mill if space is a issue. That's my personal opinion and what I plan on doing when I'm ready for a VMC.

Dan
slodat

Post by slodat »

Dan,

Can you get a similarly configured Haas MiniMill for Tormach 1100m pricing? I'll be buying a mill next year and want to spend under 30, and I want a proper tool changer..
Dan M

Post by Dan M »

Yes, you can build one on their website and it gives you pricing. A super mini mill 10k rpm 10 tool atc starts at 42k delivered and a standard mini mill 6k rpm 10 tool atc starts at 32k delivered. That's why I was saying why would you spend 29k on a Tormach? Btw I'm jealous, I wish I could get one. Post some pic's on here if they let you when you get it, I want to see it so I can really be jealous..

Dan
DocsMachine

Post by DocsMachine »

Dan M wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:12 pm Those 1100s are getting into hass territory on price these days and I don't know why anyone would buy one over a hass.
-Weight, size and power requirements, among other things.

While I agree that if you're going to get serious about any kind of actual manufacturing, the HAAS would be a better choice. But not everyone can afford that extra $10,000 to $20,000, has access to 100 amp 3-phase power, or has a slab that can take a 10K lb load. The Tormachs are aimed at the small shops, the DIY type machinists, and prototypers, not necessarily manufacturers.

It's also worth noting that the high price for a Tormach is a full-meal package, with all the bells and most of the whistles, while the low price of the HAAS is for basically a bare-bones model with few or no tools and limited options. You start adding some of the same kind of options the full-meal Tormach has, like a 4th axis, and suddenly that $10K difference between the two balloons to $20-$25K.

Don't get me wrong- personally I'd love to have a MiniMill sitting on my floor right now whittling parts for me, but at least for me, I absolutely do not have the room for a machine that size, I'm not sure I have the power requirements (and definitely don't have 3-phase) and I'm not sure my slab can take it.

I'm waiting for the 770MX to be released- skipping some of the fluff, I can get into it for $15-$17K, which is a far cry from the $40K I'd have into a HAAS.

Doc.
Dan M

Post by Dan M »

I was comparing the 1100m price which is 25-30k. The entry level Hass mini mill is 32k and its 5x faster than the Tormach. It also runs on single phase power, as for the weight yes it weighs 2x 3400lb vs 1600lbs still lighter than a suv sitting in the garage, so I wouldn't worry about the weight. I still wouldn't try to save a few grand if I could afford to buy the 1100m to begin with. Unfortunately both are way out of my budget. I was just saying that for a little more money you get literally 5x the machine. If a fully loaded 1100 was more like 15k I could see the appeal, but no way for 30k. Just my personal opinion that a lot of others share.

Dan