Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19F2215B-0404180798
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Bridgeport R2E4 W/DMM DYN4 Servos not reversing

Post by Woburn »

Hello,

I'm having an issue with my Bridgeport R2E4 retrofit set-up. I have movement on all axis but each axis will only jog in one direction. Z will jog negative but not positive, X will jog positive but not negative, and Y will jog positive but not negative. The CNC12 readout will show movement in both directions but servo will not jog in both directions.

I had this really nice post going.... then tried to paste a some text into the post and deleted it all. Wanted to get this out before heading to work so i will provide more details as time allow.

Acorn board, DMM DYN4 AC servos, INTEL NUC PC set-up @ Centroid with CNC12 version 4.10. Acer touch screen monitor 21.5".

I've attached the report and the link below is the machine details, wizard pics, and DMM software setup. I've been working with DMM and recently checked the DIR signal from Acorn and it looks like it changes from 0v to 5v when changing direction on the jog panel.

Acorn communication all seems good. The ping test returns nothing lost. I currently do not have any inputs hooked up and am just trying to get my mounted bench test completed. I've purchased the AC servo communication cables from DMM. They have been very responsive to emails. I've double checked my wiring and pins. I have filters in place as well as DMM recommended fuses.

I'll hopefully get some direction from DMM today as it appears Acorn is sending the proper DIR signal but servo drive not responding.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YrV7DuEmBejBRoUL7
Attachments
report_C8FD19F2215B-0404180798_2018-10-25_07-16-45.zip
(178.37 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Bridgeport R2E4 W/DMM DYN4 Servos not reversing

Post by martyscncgarage »

You arent setting home first are you?
When you stat CNC12 and before you press cycle start to home the machine, you should be able to press the axis +/- axis buttons on the virtual control panel and run the motor in either direction.
Have you watched my video on basic wiring of Dyn4?

https://youtu.be/TFCWAxQkxok
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Woburn
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Woburn »

Hi Marty, thanks for your reply.

I was unable to jog in both directions before setting home. The issue of reversing has been resolved. I worked with DMM yesterday. Again, thanks for all your videos. I have watched the one you commented on several times, actually made a comment minutes after it was posted.... :)

This issue turned out to be some confusing correspondence with DMM. Not knocking their support as it has been quick and helpful. As your video shows Pin ll and 22 should see 5V. I did order the CA-CUACRN-M4-05 communication cables and when checking for voltage at the JP4 DB25 connector I did not see the voltage drop to 5V. So based on your video I used the Acorn dual voltage 5V to supply power to pin 11 and 22. When measuring DIR voltage it was switching as it should (0v in one direction and 5V for the other) but the voltage was 6 and 8 volts. DMM then said the DIR voltage should be 24V and directed me to not use the 5V. I'm not a EE but it was a bit confusing following the supplied Schematics.
DMM_info.png
I had asked a few questions and the response was above.
Acorn_dmm.png
When I received my cables I check the pins and made sure the pin 11 and 22 were 5V after going through the DMM 2K resistors. When it was not I assumed the supplied cables didn't have the resistors installed. That's why I switched to the 5v power supply as if i was making my own cables. That's when the axis were not reversing. DMM directed me to put 24v to pins 11 and 22 which then put the DIR signal to 24v and now it reverses.
DMM_24V.png
So does DMM's info align with your schematic?
Attachments
pnhiadjpamcnidmj.png
eefjifpfgbpipekb.png
bhhehpbhpgjpcmkj.png
martyscncgarage

The 2K resistor drops the voltage to NEAR 5VDC. This is typical with many drive manufacturers.

Is your system operational now?
Mesa, AZ
Woburn

Post by Woburn »

My system will now reverse while jogging on all three axis as it should.

So when my DIR signal was at the near 5V (between 6v and 8v) it would not reverse. Is the DIR signal supposed to be 5v or 24? DMM directed me wire 24v and it now works. I've checked the DIR signal and it is 23.8v.
martyscncgarage

Woburn wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:27 am My system will now reverse while jogging on all three axis as it should.

So when my DIR signal was at the near 5V (between 6v and 8v) it would not reverse. Is the DIR signal supposed to be 5v or 24? DMM directed me wire 24v and it now works. I've checked the DIR signal and it is 23.8v.
Please explain how you deviated from the schematic.
Mesa, AZ
Woburn

Post by Woburn »

[/quote]Please explain how you deviated from the schematic."

As far as deviating from the schematic, my comment would be who's schematic? I followed the Centroid DYN4 schematic and when checking my DMM purchased AC servo cables I found pin 22 and 11 were seeing 24v at the connector. (the connector has resistors so I was expecting 5v as the schematic shows) When I used the DMM schematic supplied with the purchased cables i was expecting a drop to 5v after going through the resistors (appears to be 2 in the connector) There was no drop in voltage so pins 22 and 11 showed 24v. At that point i used the 5v supply from the dual voltage PS supplied with my Acorn. I measured the DIR signal and it was switching but only between 0 and 6v-8v. That is when my axis was not reversing. A couple of emails back and forth with DMM and I was directed to put pin 22 and 11 back to 24v (i never tested @24v because I thought it was supposed to be 5v).

With the 24v supplied to pin 11 and 22 of DMM purchased servo drive cable I now get 23.8V @ my DIR reversing signal. DMM mentioned the 5v signal i was seeing previously was not enough to reverse the axis.

I've included a picture of the DMM cable connector. I can see it appears there are 2 resistors behind the shrink tube. Shouldn't the resistors be dropping the supplied 24v down to the "near 5v" as was mentioned. It doesn't..... 24v in 23.8v out. When checking resistance it seems to check around 1850. Again, i'm not a EE but something doesn't align with the schematic's i was using.

DB_25_AC_drive_arrows.png
Attachments
bhhehpbhpgjpcmkj.png
Centroid_DYN4_sch_A.png
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

hello. the Centroid Acorn to dyn4 schematic was drawn before DMM came up with the DYN4 cable with the built in dropping resistors.
The the Centroid schematic is good, if you wire as shown the system will function.
we just received one of the new cables from DMM yesterday and will be testing it out and producing a new schematic based on this new cable.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Woburn

Post by Woburn »

Just so I'm clear, will the dyn4 work, or is it supposed to work, with 5v supplied to pins 11 and 22? That's where my system did not function properly. When the output from acorn to the servo drive was between 5v and 8v.

Thanks,
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

we have the dyn4 running according to our published schematic without using the dmm cable
(along with other users that are not using the DMM supplied cable.)
S14888-ACORN_rev3 DMM DYN4 SERVO DRIVE.pdf
(98.54 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html