Debrick my Acorn

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

realloser
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19C7472A-1121170264, C8FD19E9D49B-1109170245
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Debrick my Acorn

Post by realloser »

Hi,

here some experience from my side:
I have a problem setting CSR on my Acorn and thought it would be a good idea to debrick my Acorn(s). So I downloaded the latest version and started to follow the manual to "update" (it is a new installation) to the latest version. I hope you will improve this process in the future since I also loos all the parameters I have set (right?).

After successfully updating my first Acron, I started to update the second one. But something happened, can't tell what. At least it took forever and after a while et says I have to start Acorn. So the Acorn was bricked. No problem, follow the video on how to debrick and all is good.
It took already an eternity to Format my 16gb SD using the HP tool (I tried first without that but it seems it is important :)). After that 30 minutes of waiting or so the HP applikation says "too big" :evil: :evil: :evil:. So I had to search for a smaller SD card which I luckily also had! I then used quick formatting in the HP tool which also worked perfectly after all but I "wasted" at least an hour to debrick my acorn which I could have done in a view minutes.

To things I would like to mention. 16gb seems to be to big!! Quickformat can be checked and if this doesn't work do the full formatting. Make sure you find a SD card which is smaller than 16gb and do this BEFORE you plan to update your ACORN. I remember that 16gb is already the smallest SD one can buy in the shop at least here in switzerland.

Maybe you can test that again and update the manual accordingly. It should also mention that it would make sense to have such an SD card when updating to avoid down time. The udpate manual should maybe also point to the debrick manual.

Martyn
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Debrick my Acorn

Post by martyscncgarage »

realloser wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:44 am Hi,

here some experience from my side:
I have a problem setting CSR on my Acorn and thought it would be a good idea to debrick my Acorn(s). So I downloaded the latest version and started to follow the manual to "update" (it is a new installation) to the latest version. I hope you will improve this process in the future since I also loos all the parameters I have set (right?).

After successfully updating my first Acron, I started to update the second one. But something happened, can't tell what. At least it took forever and after a while et says I have to start Acorn. So the Acorn was bricked. No problem, follow the video on how to debrick and all is good.
It took already an eternity to Format my 16gb SD using the HP tool (I tried first without that but it seems it is important :)). After that 30 minutes of waiting or so the HP applikation says "too big" :evil: :evil: :evil:. So I had to search for a smaller SD card which I luckily also had! I then used quick formatting in the HP tool which also worked perfectly after all but I "wasted" at least an hour to debrick my acorn which I could have done in a view minutes.

To things I would like to mention. 16gb seems to be to big!! Quickformat can be checked and if this doesn't work do the full formatting. Make sure you find a SD card which is smaller than 16gb and do this BEFORE you plan to update your ACORN. I remember that 16gb is already the smallest SD one can buy in the shop at least here in switzerland.

Maybe you can test that again and update the manual accordingly. It should also mention that it would make sense to have such an SD card when updating to avoid down time. The udpate manual should maybe also point to the debrick manual.

Martyn
Martyn,
If the blue heartbeat light is flashing, THERE IS NO NEED TO DEBRICK ACORN. (Firmware updates are NOT done through the SD card, they are done through the CNC software and are automatic when there is a new software revision)

Other than the video I did, I have never had to do it. This is very uncommon. Most people miswire Acorn, or have a loose wire that comes into contact with Acorn or the Beagle Bone Green. Debricking is the last ditch effort before having to order a new Beagle Bone Green or Acorn board.

As far as the micro sd card size, I do mention in my video that a 1gb is fine even smaller if you can find it.

So, If your heartbeat LED is flashing, leave it alone. If not, what caused it to stop?

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
realloser
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19C7472A-1121170264, C8FD19E9D49B-1109170245
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by realloser »

Maybe I was not clear enough..

I have update one Acorn successfully. So this means I was totaly able to do it.
For some reason, and I do not blame Acorn or Centroid for it, I failed to update the second Acorn and there was no hartbeat at all. I should also mention that I did update this Acorn successfully in the past. Trust me, I had to debrick my Acorn! And I finally was also able to do so, it was just very cumbersome due the experiance I have explained.

I try to share my experiance and demand for some improvements in the documentation for me and also for others. As I mention, the smallest SD I could by in a shop was 16gb, I'm also not aware on where I should be able to get a 1gb SD online or somewhere else theas days. So my suggestion again.. Ship it with that 1gb SD, this can't be that expensive and people could immediately debrick it in case of a failure for what ever reason. But of course I understand that this should never happen. Just a recomondation from my side. I'm now able to fix my Acorn.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

realloser wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:56 am Maybe I was not clear enough..

I have update one Acorn successfully. So this means I was totaly able to do it.
For some reason, and I do not blame Acorn or Centroid for it, I failed to update the second Acorn and there was no hartbeat at all. I should also mention that I did update this Acorn successfully in the past. Trust me, I had to debrick my Acorn! And I finally was also able to do so, it was just very cumbersome due the experiance I have explained.

I try to share my experiance and demand for some improvements in the documentation for me and also for others. As I mention, the smallest SD I could by in a shop was 16gb, I'm also not aware on where I should be able to get a 1gb SD online or somewhere else theas days. So my suggestion again.. Ship it with that 1gb SD, this can't be that expensive and people could immediately debrick it in case of a failure for what ever reason. But of course I understand that this should never happen. Just a recomondation from my side. I'm now able to fix my Acorn.
1GB Micro SD cards are available via Amazon.
Here is a cheapie: http://a.co/dihAqXs

Here is a 2GB http://a.co/52uUa1q

The video exists to show users how to debrick on the rare occasion its necessary.
Glad you are back up.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ