Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Power supply / plasma table / acorn

Post by Baddad1911 »

Hi. I am attempting my first cnc build, I will be using the acorn and 4 570 oz stepper motors from automation technologies and the MX 4660, , the motors are rated at 5.0 amps , I bought the 48v 12.5 amp power supply that was in the cnc package from AT. After more reading I have a couple question if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated
1st is the 12.5 amp ps big enough ?
2nd if not can I use a 48v 20.8 meanwell ps ? Asking because the MX 4660 says 20 amps max
3rd I've seen that acorn needs to be powered up 1st ? Or at the same time does anyone know of a power supply that can meet the 20 amps that I need or dont ? And that has a dual output of 24v for acorn
I apologize in advance if I'm completely lost here, and thanks to all who may be able to help
mikes
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Re: Power supply / plasma table / acorn

Post by mikes »

The multi power supply issue you are concern over is a bit different then what I think you think it is. The group having issues are using 3 PS. One for 24v for the Acorn, one 5v for powering the opto isolators on their drivers, and the third is the higher voltage and current used to power the stepper motors/drivers. If you can interface the Acorn with your drivers using 24v, then you will have no power up sequencing issues. If you need a lower voltage due to current limiting requirements of the driver control inputs (those optical isolators), consider getting a dual voltage (24v & 5v) PS, use a DC2DC voltage converser to get 5v, or if the current is reasonable, you can use a current limiting resistor on the driver's control inputs. I hope that helps.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Baddad1911 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:06 am Hi. I am attempting my first cnc build, I will be using the acorn and 4 570 oz stepper motors from automation technologies and the MX 4660, , the motors are rated at 5.0 amps , I bought the 48v 12.5 amp power supply that was in the cnc package from AT. After more reading I have a couple question if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated
1st is the 12.5 amp ps big enough ?
2nd if not can I use a 48v 20.8 meanwell ps ? Asking because the MX 4660 says 20 amps max
3rd I've seen that acorn needs to be powered up 1st ? Or at the same time does anyone know of a power supply that can meet the 20 amps that I need or dont ? And that has a dual output of 24v for acorn
I apologize in advance if I'm completely lost here, and thanks to all who may be able to help
I think you are going to be fine with your 12.5amp power supply. My suggestion is use it and try it. If it came as a package, they matched it up.
Acorn comes with its own power supply. They were shipping dual output power supplies, 24VDC and 5VDC. Unless that changed, you should be OK.

When did you buy your Acorn? I believe they corrected the issue (#3 in your question list) in the most latest revision of hardware. Though that would be a question for Centroid to answer.

The point is moot, your MX4660 is a copy of the Geckodrive G540, make sure you buy a DB25 male male cable wired straight through cable, plug it into Acorn's DB25, configure Acorn for G540 drive only. You shouldn't have to worry about #3

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Baddad1911
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by Baddad1911 »

Thanks Marty, the acorn I bought in the last 2 weeks, it's still unopened in the box , the power supply I actually contacted automation technologies and was advised to run 2 power supplies ??? Very confusing . The gentleman I spoke with and emailed suggested to use 2 power supplies, very nice but very hard to understand due to his accent. I found a meanwell ar 48v 20.8 amps but the leadshine says 20 amp max, would the .8 amps be an issue, I would have used the gecko 540 but its max amp output rating is only 3.5 and didnt realize that the mx4660 was a knockoff,
martyscncgarage

Baddad1911 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:34 am Thanks Marty, the acorn I bought in the last 2 weeks, it's still unopened in the box , the power supply I actually contacted automation technologies and was advised to run 2 power supplies ??? Very confusing . The gentleman I spoke with and emailed suggested to use 2 power supplies, very nice but very hard to understand due to his accent. I found a meanwell ar 48v 20.8 amps but the leadshine says 20 amp max, would the .8 amps be an issue, I would have used the gecko 540 but its max amp output rating is only 3.5 and didnt realize that the mx4660 was a knockoff,
Read up on this great article about stepper and their power supplies from Geckodrive
https://www.geckodrive.com/support/step ... asics.html

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Baddad1911

Post by Baddad1911 »

Thanks Marty really appreciate the help
Baddad1911

Post by Baddad1911 »

Ok Marty so after reading the article I've come to these numbers the meanwell ps that came with the kit is the se-600-48 the stepper motors ×4 ( dual gantry) are 5amps 3volt the inductance is 2.5 so if my calculations are correct I'd need a power supply at 50.+ volts and 13.2 amps if my numbers are correct the supplied ps is just slightly to small correct ?
martyscncgarage

I think you might find that if it's that close it may be ok.
I'm not where I can run the calcs, but if you followed the article then you should be ok.
48vdc power supply should be perfect.
After reading their article, I take the time to run the inductance calcs at the stepper motors I'm looking at to make I have a closely matched power supply and stepper driver.

Marty
Mesa, AZ