Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269931CF1-0307180710
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Tool Library Offset -< Answered>

Post by Crosshatch »

Hi Folks,

Help me understand this. I perform a manual toolchange on my machine when M6 is called. All my tools are Tormach TTS style, so I'm use to measuring the tool height from where the Holder Collar touches my spindle nose to the tip of my tool.

I would like to do the same for my tool library in Acorn. Measure my tooling on my granite surface plate/height gage combo.

The manual states (referencing Centroid M-series Operator's Manual), "Height Offset" when G34 or G44 is used, which is what I use in my code along with "H" Tool.

Would I leave these offsets at 0000 if I just measure each Tools height and diameter? When I setup part Zero for the Z, wouldn't it offset the toolchanges based on the height of the tool with respect to one another without needing to do height offsets from a reference tool?

Regards,

Jason
Last edited by Crosshatch on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cnc_smith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Tool Library Offset

Post by cnc_smith »

Jason,

Based on what you are saying you are using your spindle nose as your reference tool. So if you are pre-measuring your tools you would put a positive value in for each tool measured. When you go into Part Setup for setting Part Z0.0 make sure you enter the tool number for the tool you are using to set Part Z0.0. This tool will need the offset value already inputted for the length from the spindle nose. When you press F10 Set the control will update the Tool: Tool number and offset at the top of the screen to the tool number you had entered. If you had already done a M6 T?? and G43 H?? for the tool you are using to set Part Z0.0 this field will not change when you type the tool number in at the Set Part0/Position screen with what tool you are using to set Part Z0.0. If you had the correct tool number and had not done a G43 H?? when you press F10 Set with the tool number the Height offset will be turned on for that tool.

Dana
Dana

When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Crosshatch

Post by Crosshatch »

Hi Dana,

Thanks for answering that. That was my logic, so all my offset heights will be positive and simply be the length of each tool from the spindle nose to the cutting edge.

I agree that when I set part Zero, it will need to know which Tool I'm using so that it can apply the correct information with respect to the next tool offset. When you say " This tool will need the offset value already inputted for the length from the spindle nose" ...this will already be defined in the tool table as a positive number from what was mentioned above, for that particular tool. It's just a matter of setting the heights, defining which Tool is first being set on Part Z 0.0 and updating the control with F10 to truly start the program with that tool.

Regards,

Jason
ScotY
CNC11: No

Post by ScotY »

cnc_smith wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:31 pm Jason,

Based on what you are saying you are using your spindle nose as your reference tool. So if you are pre-measuring your tools you would put a positive value in for each tool measured. When you go into Part Setup for setting Part Z0.0 make sure you enter the tool number for the tool you are using to set Part Z0.0. This tool will need the offset value already inputted for the length from the spindle nose. When you press F10 Set the control will update the Tool: Tool number and offset at the top of the screen to the tool number you had entered. If you had already done a M6 T?? and G43 H?? for the tool you are using to set Part Z0.0 this field will not change when you type the tool number in at the Set Part0/Position screen with what tool you are using to set Part Z0.0. If you had the correct tool number and had not done a G43 H?? when you press F10 Set with the tool number the Height offset will be turned on for that tool.

Dana
I’m trying to set my tool offset table using this method...spindle nose as the reference. The values for my tools are all positive values and appear to be correct. However, when I use MDI to change tools, the offsets don’t seem to be applied. I’m only using 2 tools right now. Tool 1 is the reference, i.e. spindle nose. Tool 2 is a flycutter and tool 3 is an endmill. Tool 3 is longer than tool 2. It’s easy to see the offsets aren’t working and I have no idea why. I’ve saved using F10, etc.

Is an MDI command the proper way to select which tool you’re using? I am seeing the tool number in the upper right change after the MDI but when I MDI a z-axis move, the offsets don’t follow the tool number. It’s like it’s stuck on the offset for tool 2, so if I select tool 3, it still uses the offset for tool 2. Hope that makes sense?
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Well, after a long time messing around, I finally figured out how to get the tool offsets to work. I was using “T1” in MDI and that changes the tool number but does not change the offset. I eventually noticed the “H” next to the tool number in the upper right portion of the display. I assume that stands for height? Anyway, I had to use “T1H1” and that seems to do it!
Muzzer
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512
CNC12: Yes

Post by Muzzer »

Yes, that's it.
Crosshatch

Post by Crosshatch »

ScotY wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:42 am Well, after a long time messing around, I finally figured out how to get the tool offsets to work. I was using “T1” in MDI and that changes the tool number but does not change the offset. I eventually noticed the “H” next to the tool number in the upper right portion of the display. I assume that stands for height? Anyway, I had to use “T1H1” and that seems to do it!
Thank you for posting!! So your reference tool is the spindle nose correct? Is this value simply zero (0) in the tool table or the value from your home swiched jogged down to some arbitrary surface?

Regards,

Jason
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

I started setting it up with the spindle nose touching on a 1-2-3 block which sat on the table. I set Z Ref when the spindle was on the 1-2-3 block. Then touched off the tools and manually set they heights. Then I had problems with the tool height offset not working so I redid everything so the offsets are negative values (Centroid method).

Anyway, I haven’t had time yet to redo it so the offsets are positive values but I’m pretty sure it will work. The key is, I think, that you need to ensure the offset follows the tool. I don’t know about how the G43 commands, etc works but MDI “TxHx” seems to work. The Mach3 method of “T0x0x” doesn’t work in CNC12.

My question is this...if I use the positive value offsets and break a tool, should I reset the Z Ref on the spindle nose then manually set the new tool height? Will this ensure the new tool height will be correct relative to the other tools previously set up?
cnc_smith
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnc_smith »

ScotY,

"My question is this...if I use the positive value offsets and break a tool, should I reset the Z Ref on the spindle nose then manually set the new tool height? Will this ensure the new tool height will be correct relative to the other tools previously set up?"

If you are setting the tools off the same surface that you set the spindle Z Reference to you do not have reset Z Reference with the spindle nose. If you are setting the tools off a different Reference surface than you did originally with the spindle nose then you have to reset the Z Reference with the spindle nose.
Dana

When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Crosshatch

Post by Crosshatch »

ScotY wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:21 pm I started setting it up with the spindle nose touching on a 1-2-3 block which sat on the table. I set Z Ref when the spindle was on the 1-2-3 block. Then touched off the tools and manually set they heights. Then I had problems with the tool height offset not working so I redid everything so the offsets are negative values (Centroid method).

Anyway, I haven’t had time yet to redo it so the offsets are positive values but I’m pretty sure it will work. The key is, I think, that you need to ensure the offset follows the tool. I don’t know about how the G43 commands, etc works but MDI “TxHx” seems to work. The Mach3 method of “T0x0x” doesn’t work in CNC12.

My question is this...if I use the positive value offsets and break a tool, should I reset the Z Ref on the spindle nose then manually set the new tool height? Will this ensure the new tool height will be correct relative to the other tools previously set up?

My Mach3 method WAS and hope to be still (because it was fine) was for example: T29 G43 H29 M6

I'm hoping to see if the same setup is valid. Measure tools on granite surface plate. Zero any tool for the job, have the offsets applied using the GCode above.

I'll report back.

Jason