CNC Control System Serial Number: 60640555D28-1109170220
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Bed Mill Z reference problem Z axis travel exceeded

Post by Pardonmebuthelp »

First things first my report file is at the end
Hello again, following this method Image
and confirming it watching step three of CENTROID CNC Control User Training Video: CNC Millling Machine Training.
https://youtu.be/mA41pUyONJM?t=18m6s

I reset the tool table by zeroing everything with the machine at Z0(dyn2 marker pulse is my home)
And to show that g54 is at zero as well

I use a long reamer as my reference tool and so far so good everything makes sense and I make my Z reference point 2" off of the Mill table using a height gauge

Now I use my tool#2 to zero on that same reference 2" point and the distance from my reference tool and tool #2 is right I measured it with a height gauge so It still makes sense to me

And here is where it doesn't make sense anymore I try to set my part zero with tool#2 .125" over the work piece and the z reference after I set part z it makes no sense to me.

Showing the z reference going for a walk right after I set part z0
Here's is machine coordinates which still makes sense because is only -.4025" bellow Z0

Here is the program noticing that the z if funky and it wont work

Something seems wrong, If im doing something wrong can someone please steer me in the right direction. Im not sensitive so give it to me straight. I came from mach 3 where I always set each tool 2"above my work piece so im trying to learn the industry way and I thought I understood it but Im not sure. Pardon me can someone help?
Attachments
report_606405355D28-1109170220_2018-03-23_12-01-07.zip
(162.62 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Bed Mill Z reference problem Z axis travel exceeded

Post by cnckeith »

If you have dyn2 with ZRi homing on the Z axis you don't have to use a reference tool.. just set the tool reference position at the home position they will be the same place ..(this technique only works if you can repeat to the exact same location every time you home out which the ZRi will do. )

Then measure your tools off a 1-2-3 block on top of the table using the tool Library, be sure to press F10 save. The offsets numbers that will be in the tool library are simply the distance from home/reference position to the tool touching the top of the 123 block.

Now go set Z zero work coordinate.

And graph the part to see if you get any travel errors before running the job.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Pardonmebuthelp
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

Thank you for your response but that's what I did first because I have the ZRI, so before I made the complaint I did it the text book centroid way. I am getting the same Z axis travel exceeded. I just did it again the way you asked me to do and I get the same message.
Pardonmebuthelp
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No

It is my mistake because I had time away from the machine this morning I had a chance to come back with a clear head. The problem is obvious to me now it shows in these two pictures
The first thing I'm machining is a new z axis to put on the ball screw I was waiting for so i didn't have all of my machines Z travel *the part with tool 2 in the spindle is only .400" something below machine zero

And the program is commanding a clearance height of .600" over the work part which is not possible because it exceeds the travel of the machines Z home

Thank you Keith, time and time again the old timers advice is as good as gold : walk away from the problem your having a hard time figuring out and come back to it.