Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Any way to read torque?

Post by hackish »

My servo drivers can all output torque. I was thinking that this would be interesting if I were to run multiples of the same part. A sudden change on torque (spindle or otherwise) would signal that something bad just happened (broken tool or otherwise). Is there any way to get a torque input into cnc12 mill for this purpose? If not, is there a way to get the g code from the acorn as it executes? I could easily create a tool that records and monitors torque for every instruction in the program.
diycncscott

Re: Any way to read torque?

Post by diycncscott »

No. There are no analog inputs on the current Acorn. I suppose You could use the ADC on an Arduino or similar and then write your own software to display the values and/or fire an output that tells an Acorn PLC input to feedhold/cycle cancel if the load jumps.
hackish
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Any way to read torque?

Post by hackish »

I think the problem was really getting the ADC values into the milling program so maybe I could look at a PLC type solution to trigger a fault. You can expect that torque will be up and down a lot through different operations, so I was hoping to correlate it with the actual instructions being run. Maybe I could just do it based on time with toggling an output to start the timer with each block of code?