Is it possible to have ClearPath SDSK on Z and X axis and Delta servo controlled by ASDA-B2 as the spindle motor?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

AcornFanBoy
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E8EB112A1F7F-0312180719
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Is it possible to have ClearPath SDSK on Z and X axis and Delta servo controlled by ASDA-B2 as the spindle motor?

Post by AcornFanBoy »

Hi

I'm thinking about retrofitting my Emco Compact 5 CNC lathe with Acorn and modern servos. Do you see any problems hooking them up in the Acorn if I have ClearPath SDSK servos on Z and X axis, and a 750W Delta servo as spindle motor? The Delta would be controlled by an ASDA-B2.

ClearPath model number would likely be CPM-SDSK-2311S-EQN
Delta servo would likely be ECMA-C20807SS or ECMA-C20807FS
Delta controller would likely be ASD-B2-0721-B
Last edited by AcornFanBoy on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
diycncscott

Re: Is it possible to have ClearPath SDSK on Z and X axis and Delta ASDA-A2 driving the spindle?

Post by diycncscott »

That shouldn't be a problem if the Delta accepts 0-10VDC and/or step and direction. -Though in 1 place you indicate it will be an A2, in another the B2. A2 and B2 are NOT the same.

Were you planning on using the Delta as a C axis? If so, you will need to figure out how to switch the Delta in an out of position and RPM mode.
AcornFanBoy
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: E8EB112A1F7F-0312180719
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Is it possible to have ClearPath SDSK on Z and X axis and Delta servo controlled by ASDA-B2 as the spindle motor?

Post by AcornFanBoy »

Thanks for pointing out my mistake with A2/B2. I corrected my original question to only refer to ASDA-B2.

I'm just learning the hobby, and not very knowledgeable with the terminology. If by C-axis you mean a machine where the spindle is moved forwards and backwards quite rapidly while a mill-like tool is carving the side of the piece being machined, that is not what I'm planning to achieve. Obviously something like that would be super cool, but likely way out of the league of my tiny lathe.

I'd like to be able to make threads and do rigid tapping with a servo controlled spindle. Would that still require the capability to switch the Delta in an out of position and RPM mode?

If this kind of setup is something that Acorn and CNC12 can handle more or less out-of-the-box, and without kludges, I would continue studying it further. But if you guys can spot immediately a lot of trouble ahead, please say so =)

Currently I have a KBIC-240 as a speed controller for a 180VDC / 3A / 0.44 kW / 4000 RPM permanent magnet motor.
diycncscott

Re: Is it possible to have ClearPath SDSK on Z and X axis and Delta servo controlled by ASDA-B2 as the spindle motor?

Post by diycncscott »

A servo controlled spindle is not needed for threading or rigid tapping. All you would need to add to your current spindle configuration is an encoder on the spindle as the control makes the axes follow the spindle not vice versa.