Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2695C831F-1228170419
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn Setup

Post by mntlvr »

Hi
I am new to Acorn have been using Mach 4 for several years.
I am totally confused by the setting up of the S/W limits in Acorn . When you go into setup and Config and Motors and Jog the axis are called 1,2,3 etc
but in config motors motors the Axis are called X,Y Z, etc.
So I am using Home switches on my 3 Axis and the machine has no problem finding "Home" on each axis.
Now my question are the limits set from "Home" which is 0 and set in the direction of remaining travel?
eg. I home "Z" in the + direction and from "Home position "Z" has -3.5 inches left in it travel.
"X" is "Home" in the - Direction and has 14" of travel remaining in the + direction and my "Y" axis is "Homed" in the + direction and has 18" remaining in the - direction.
Now if I use these numbers in the Motor setup and in the Jog setup I can not move any of my axis 325 error is displayed.
Is there no manual for Acorn or somewhere it show what error codes mean and how to setup limits.
sure could use so help here
Thanks
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Acorn Setup

Post by Dave_C »

Ok, I understand the issue and basically you have it described correctly. What may be wrong is how you define - and + direction.

I'll explain: The motions are the direction of the tool movements, not the table. So if you home the Z axis at the top of its stroke that is a far as it can go in the + direction. So in the limits table you would enter the travel under the + entry as 0 and under the negative entry -3.5.

The Y axis gets homed next and if the table comes toward you (while standing in front of the machine) then it homes with the tool all the way in the + direction. This is desirable as it keeps a vise on the table from contacting the column.

Then the X gets homed and it really makes no difference which direction but let's say it moves fully to your left. It is then homed in the full + tool direction so the entry for limit movement will be a negative number.

So in the Cartesian coordinate system the positive tool movements of the table are full left and toward the operator.

The table is set up to take two numbers. One will most likely always be a 0 if you home to the full limit of travel in one direction.

Hope that is of help,

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
mntlvr

Post by mntlvr »

Dave C
Thanks Yes I have tried it in both directions so now are the limits always taken from the "Home Position"?
and then the next step would be to set WCS and can you describe this it must be different than Mach4 or is it. I wish someone would make a video of the step by step setup of each section that could be used even if you do not have ""Brand" name drivers or Steppers.
Also what are the "M" tables used for and the several other functions that seem to be user input friendly?
Bob :D
Dave_C
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Dave_C »

Bob,

Yup, the limits are set from the home positions since the movements can go any further in the "home" direction. (under normal circumstances)

The WCS is much the same for any mill, Mach 3 or other wise. The setup procedure can be a bit different. If you haven't printed out the Centroid Manual you might want to at least down load it from the Centroid site. Look at chapter 4. It has a good explanation of how to set up your WCS step by step. You can have more than one WCS but for beginners I recommend you just start with the First one G54 and get used to it first.

Limits are set in "machine" coordinates and then once you set your WCS you are in work Coordinates. You can toggle the DRO back and forth by using ALT D (once for machine and again for current position)

One thing that might be giving you trouble is if your WCS is set so that once you home the machine the WCS is at the end of the travel. There are a couple of ways to fix it without moving the table. One way is to go into setup, then part setup, the F9 for the WCS table and from there you can change the entries.

I'd set the Z to -.05" then set you X and Y positions to half their full travel values. That will put your WCS in the middle of the table.

As far as M codes go, there is a table in the manual and they all have specific functions in the G code programs.

Oh by the way, Axis 1,2 and 3 are the same as X,y and Z provided that is how you set them up.

Hope this helps,

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
mntlvr

Post by mntlvr »

Dave
You have been great help now if only my Acorn would listen to you . I do not recall seeing on the Centroidcnc website a user manual for Acorn just where is it located?
Bob :D
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Hiya Bob; I don't think there is manual specifically for CNC12 but CNC11 is the same thing (I think) except for the VCP which just emulates the hardware buttons of the M-series control. Download the CNC11 .pdf & see if it helps.

http://www.centroidcnc.com/downloads/ce ... manual.pdf
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
mntlvr

Post by mntlvr »

DICKEYBIRD
You are correct and there is a wealth of knowledge in that manual.
I will read over the area that seems to be giving my machine a fit and see if I can resolve why the axis will not move after putting in the limits from the home position.
I get no errors just will not move
Also I can not seem to find the "Work-light" button on the control panel. I saw and used it once with my new-old Acorn that stopped working. And now that I have the New-Newer controller installed the button no longer exist.
I am sure once I have this setup and working I will enjoy this controller ,right now it is frustrating.
;)

Bob
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

mntlvr wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:57 pm ...there is a wealth of knowledge in that manual. To me it's like drinking from a fire hose!

Also I can not seem to find the "Work-light" button on the control panel. I haven't seen that on mine. I think you'd have to set up an "Aux" key for that.
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."