Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Proper Encoder Wiring

Post by Dave_C »

This is a copy of the post in my G0678 thread but no one responded to it there so maybe this will catch someones attention.

Question:

I received my encoder today from Automation Direct. 2500 PPR and I am looking at the drawing that came with the encoder and also looking at the P10 pin out drawing on the Acorn drawing S14819.DWG.

Everything makes sense except that pin #1 on the P10 is labeled N/C which I take to mean "not connected" instead of "normally closed" as normally closed would not seem to apply here. Is that right so far?

Second question: My encoder has a blue wire labeled as 0V and I am making the assumption that attaches to Pin #2 which is labeled "COM" in the P10 diagram. Is that correct?

The others are simple and that leaves just the shield wire and when I ring it out with the Ohm Meter I get no continuity to the case of the encoder which makes sense as you would want to ground only at the P10 end.

So does the shield wire attach to the case of the DB9 connector? (acorn end)

I'm using a modular connector with insert holes and screws so moving wires is real easy if I need to move anything. (not wired just yet)

Wires are all tinned and ready but I like to ask questions when I come to a task I have never done. [ and this is my first encoder install]

All help is appreciated,

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Proper Encoder Wiring

Post by martyscncgarage »

Dave_C wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:30 pm This is a copy of the post in my G0678 thread but no one responded to it there so maybe this will catch someones attention.

Question:

I received my encoder today from Automation Direct. 2500 PPR and I am looking at the drawing that came with the encoder and also looking at the P10 pin out drawing on the Acorn drawing S14819.DWG.

Everything makes sense except that pin #1 on the P10 is labeled N/C which I take to mean "not connected" instead of "normally closed" as normally closed would not seem to apply here. Is that right so far?

Second question: My encoder has a blue wire labeled as 0V and I am making the assumption that attaches to Pin #2 which is labeled "COM" in the P10 diagram. Is that correct?

The others are simple and that leaves just the shield wire and when I ring it out with the Ohm Meter I get no continuity to the case of the encoder which makes sense as you would want to ground only at the P10 end.

So does the shield wire attach to the case of the DB9 connector? (acorn end)

I'm using a modular connector with insert holes and screws so moving wires is real easy if I need to move anything. (not wired just yet)

Wires are all tinned and ready but I like to ask questions when I come to a task I have never done. [ and this is my first encoder install]

All help is appreciated,

Dave C.
P10
Pin 1 = NO CONNECTION
Pin 2 = COM (0V)
Pin 3 = Z\
Pin 4 = A\
Pin 5 = B\
Pin 6 = Z
Pin 7 = A
Pin 8 = B
Pin 9 = +5VDC

Yes, shield soldered to DB9 shell
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Proper Encoder Wiring

Post by Dave_C »

Thanks Marty, I knew I could count on you to confirm or correct my assumptions.

I made an excel spreadsheet with the P10 designations and then matched them to the encoder wire colors.

It should be a piece of cake!

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.