Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 60640555D28-1109170220
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Help to figure out mach 3 Dc spindle control to Acorn Dc spindle control

Post by Pardonmebuthelp »

Hello I have had control of a DC spindle in Mach 3 with the help of Littlemachineshops 4213 spindle speed control board with a Littlemachineshop variant of the x2 mill(l.m.s 3990)

Now that I am moving to acorn and away from using the g540 I am using DMM servos and drives to the acorn. I want to figure out the spindle situation. I want to get feed back and or guidance so I can lessen the chance of killing either the acorn or the spindle control board.

In the schematics I see a hook up diagram for a VFD and KBIC board spindle control and that's it. I had control of the spindle in mach 3 forward and reverse(hooked up to a G540 just like the picture). It took trial and error because that G540 to 4213 diagram wasn't on Littlemachineshop's website until I asked about it and after trial and error I figured it out.

The 4213 board doesn't have any relays as someone on this forum mentioned some dc controllers switch polarity to change the direction of the motor. This set up is one of them in mach 3( see picture) I used output 2 for m3 and m4 and it worked(don't know how).
Franco tried with his factory dc motor controller and fried part of the acorn board as he said in one of his videos so I'm a little hesitant to just wing it. Is it possible with my set up?
Attachments
20180208_170712_001.JPG
20180208_161256.JPG
20180208_163834.JPG
IMG_20180208_163635.JPG
4213CNCSpindleControlUpgradeKit.pdf
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
Last edited by Pardonmebuthelp on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spindle Nerd
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes

Re: Help to figure out mach 3 Dc spindle control to Acorn Dc spindle control

Post by spindle Nerd »

Now that I am moving to acorn I want to figure out the spindle situation. I want to get feed back and or guidance so I can lessen the chance of killing either the acorn or the spindle control board.
Contact Gecko for the correct wiring to Acorn , they are very nice folks they will help you out with this.
Pardonmebuthelp

Sorry I see that I left out information, I just inserted it. I am using Dmm servos and drives to the acorn so Im not using the G540 anymore.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

We'll, so it's not much close to the original setup anymore......😉
Currently there is no PWM output on Acorn 3. It maybe added in the near future. (DB25)

Since Acorn currently only has a 0-10v analog output for spindle control, you can use many of the KB Electronics DC drives provided they have their companion signal isolators installed.
You will only have forward motion however.
If you need a reversing spindle, at this time I'd suggest a VFD and 3 phase motor.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Pardonmebuthelp

Thanks for the response, I'm not being difficult on purpose. A 56 frame ac motor wouldn't fit my small mill. I have a c6 speed control board not being used, is it possible to connect it(c6) to the acorn I would have to replace the pot in manual mode. Or one of those cheap pwm to analog boards.
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

I ended up buying a used KB reversing speed controller and isolator off eBay. Haven’t had time to try it out though. I’m not sure what the solution is...perhaps one of the KB isolator boards can be used for a more economical solution.