Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Analog 0-10 volt staying at .6 volts when should be zero for spindle

Post by spindle Nerd »

Hi , everyone i am onto the spindle with my DMM 1.8 kw servo for spindle and i am getting .647 volts on the analog out pins on acorn .

I checked to make sure i had set zero in the wizard for minimal spindle speed, the problem is the spindle is going at 35 rpm at that voltage when i just turn on Acorn.

I need to get zero on analog pins ,because the drive is enabled when power up and the drive wants zero voltage for forward and 5 volts for reverse on output 5.

Thank you
Last edited by spindle Nerd on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: No

Re: Analog 0-10 volt staying at .6 volts when should be zero

Post by Dave_C »

zero voltage for forward and 5 volts for reverse on output 5.
Ok, What is output 5?

The analog out on the Acorn board is labeled as (Analog Out and is on H8 on the drawings)

The other output terminals on Header 5 (H5) 3-8 are open collectors. 1-2 are relays!

So if you can give us some more detail, we might be able to help.

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Disconnect the wires from the Acorn to the DMM. I'm sure you will find it is 0VDC with them disconnected.
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes

Post by frijoli »

diycncscott wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:48 am Disconnect the wires from the Acorn to the DMM. I'm sure you will find it is 0VDC with them disconnected.
When in MANUAL mode, there is always voltage on the analog out. When in AUTOMATIC voltage will drop to zero.

Clay
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
spindle Nerd

Post by spindle Nerd »

When in MANUAL mode, there is always voltage on the analog out. When in AUTOMATIC voltage will drop to zero.

Clay

Hi clay ,i talked to Michael this morning they are going to make an official announcement on this page here in a little while as to the problem and the fix they have come up with.

We are aware of the spindle issue and have already implemented a fix for it in the drive firmware and we will be issuing a formal notice on this issue. It will be resolved using an adjustable parameter to offset the 0.6V left on the analog output so the drive will not move. So when everything powers up, the drive does not move.

From Michael Dmm Tech, by the way a very nice person
frijoli

Post by frijoli »

spindle Nerd wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:56 pm Hi , everyone i am onto the spindle with my DMM 1.8 kw servo for spindle and i am getting .647 volts on the analog out pins on acorn .

I checked to make sure i had set zero in the wizard for minimal spindle speed, the problem is the spindle is going at 35 rpm at that voltage when i just turn on Acorn.

I need to get zero on analog pins ,because the drive is enabled when power up and the drive wants zero voltage for forward and 5 volts for reverse on output 5.

Thank you
The DMM drive as a spindle and the Acorn are not there yet unfortunately When the Acorn is in Manual mode there will be voltage on the analog out from acorn. You will see that if you put into Automatic mode the spindle goes from .5ish volts to zero.

I had a long thread about this issue here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1308

Clay
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
frijoli

Post by frijoli »

spindle Nerd wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Clay

Hi clay ,i talked to Michael this morning they are going to make an official announcement on this page here in a little while as to the problem and the fix they have come up with.

We are aware of the spindle issue and have already implemented a fix for it in the drive firmware and we will be issuing a formal notice on this issue. It will be resolved using an adjustable parameter to offset the 0.6V left on the analog output so the drive will not move. So when everything powers up, the drive does not move.

From Michael Dmm Tech, by the way a very nice person
They are confused about this. The .6 volts is only there when in manual mode. I thought I had them convinced otherwise, but I guess not.
If they offset it, it will create other issues when in AUTO.

Clay
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

I have confirmed this issue. A fix is posted below:

Download this file:
acorn_universal_template.src
(145.54 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
Save it to either c:\cncm\WizardResources\Template\ or c:\cnct\WizardResources\Template\

Run the Wizard and click "Write Settings to CNC Control configuration"
eng199
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by eng199 »

The DMM drives should have a contactor controlled by output 1 to cut the main drive voltage (R,S,T). This arrangement is shown on the Estun Pronet-E schematic (DYN4 schematic needs this added). Since DMM powers on even with no control signals connected, there is no other safe way to use it.

Setting the analog voltage to 0 is not adequate for stopping the spindle. There will always be a slight mismatch between an analog output and analog input. Complete stop requires the disable input to be driven and / or the power cut with a contactor.

diycncscott will change the PLC to go to 0 in manual mode. Unfortunately, this will encourage people to continue without correcting the wiring.
spindle Nerd

Re: Analog 0-10 volt staying at .6 volts when should be zero - RESOLVED

Post by spindle Nerd »

I have confirmed this issue. A fix is posted below:

Download this file:
acorn_universal_template.src
(145.54 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Save it to either c:\cncm\WizardResources\Template\ or c:\cnct\WizardResources\Template\

Run the Wizard and click "Write Settings to CNC Control configuration"
I gave it a try ,still there ,and i also hooked up a contactor to relay 1 so the stupid thing would not start running on power up.
And the other thing is, i still get the .7 volts when in automatic mode as well as manual mode.

If you command( M03 S250 )from the mdi line and then command S(0) speed goes back down but that voltage is still present on the analog out pin's ,at least on my machine.

I installed the file to the right directory ran the wizard wrote to plc and saved , i got no change.