Bridgeport CNC mill, retrofit with Acorn control board?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

fredhh47
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Bridgeport CNC mill, retrofit with Acorn control board?

Post by fredhh47 »

I am new to this forum. I have a Bridgeport Series 1 Boss 5 CNC with a defective control. It has already had all the boards in the card cage removed and replaced with an Ah-Ha-based control system that came from a company called Machine Master, back about 2000, and has worked extremely well ever since, until it finally quit. The control software is a variation of Artisan CNC. The retrofit that was put in used almost everything from the old control system, EXCEPT the logic boards, which were replaced by a 486 DX-2-66 computer with a hard drive, keyboard, and monitor. The original control panel and pendant arm were removed, the limit switch wiring was changed and the limit override was moved off the control panel to another location. Cycle start and hold switches were added in a separate box mounted on the front of the CNC below the motor start switch panel.
I came across an ad for the Acorn board in Digital Machinist and thought it looked simple and a quick-fix for my situation. However, I have a few questions.
1. Will the Acorn board run the ORIGINAL Bridgeport steppers? The stepper motors need about 75 volts to operate, which was created by the power transistor modules from the 56 volts supply, as I understand it.
2. Can I use (any of) the original 5, 12, 24, and 56 volt power supplies?
I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. I just want to control 3 axes with a computer program with as little hassle as possible. The motor is started manually. The brake is actuated pneumatically and tied in with the spindle switch. There is no need for spindle speed control, it is manually adjusted. Coolant is turned on and off with the spindle, or off completely with a switch on the cabinet.
I want to use as much of the original machine system as possible and keep the cost as low as possible.
I saw a thread about up-converting a Bridgeport mill, but that is essentially starting from scratch. Has anyone done the BOSS 5/6 retrofit with the Acorn board? What were you able to salvage/what did you have to replace?
Any information would be appreciated as this machine is important to my business and is used daily. Downtime is costing me production.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Bridgeport CNC mill, retrofit with Acorn control board?

Post by martyscncgarage »

fredhh47 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:32 pm I am new to this forum. I have a Bridgeport Series 1 Boss 5 CNC with a defective control. It has already had all the boards in the card cage removed and replaced with an Ah-Ha-based control system that came from a company called Machine Master, back about 2000, and has worked extremely well ever since, until it finally quit. The control software is a variation of Artisan CNC. The retrofit that was put in used almost everything from the old control system, EXCEPT the logic boards, which were replaced by a 486 DX-2-66 computer with a hard drive, keyboard, and monitor. The original control panel and pendant arm were removed, the limit switch wiring was changed and the limit override was moved off the control panel to another location. Cycle start and hold switches were added in a separate box mounted on the front of the CNC below the motor start switch panel.
I came across an ad for the Acorn board in Digital Machinist and thought it looked simple and a quick-fix for my situation. However, I have a few questions.
1. Will the Acorn board run the ORIGINAL Bridgeport steppers? The stepper motors need about 75 volts to operate, which was created by the power transistor modules from the 56 volts supply, as I understand it.
2. Can I use (any of) the original 5, 12, 24, and 56 volt power supplies?
I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. I just want to control 3 axes with a computer program with as little hassle as possible. The motor is started manually. The brake is actuated pneumatically and tied in with the spindle switch. There is no need for spindle speed control, it is manually adjusted. Coolant is turned on and off with the spindle, or off completely with a switch on the cabinet.
I want to use as much of the original machine system as possible and keep the cost as low as possible.
I saw a thread about up-converting a Bridgeport mill, but that is essentially starting from scratch. Has anyone done the BOSS 5/6 retrofit with the Acorn board? What were you able to salvage/what did you have to replace?
Any information would be appreciated as this machine is important to my business and is used daily. Downtime is costing me production.
Fred, you'll likely have to change your stepper drivers. Do a search of Bridgeport BOSS in the search box, upper right hand corner. There is a relatively fresh thread on a Bridgeport conversion using a Leadshine drive. You would simply just have to select a drive that works up to 80VDC at the proper current. Geckodrive is one among many http://www.geckodrive.com/geckodrive-st ... rives.html

As for power supplies, I suggest you keep the one feeding the stepper motors and scrap the rest. If you need 5, 12 and 24 VDC with no large current requirements, go for this one from Jameco:
https://www.jameco.com/z/RQ-65D-MEAN-WE ... 23572.html

I suggest posting pictures of your build along the way. Have you downloaded the ACORN schematic set?
I think you will be very happy with your mill after the Acorn/Centroid CNC12 conversion.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
pulsenpal
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Bridgeport CNC mill, retrofit with Acorn control board?

Post by pulsenpal »

MachineMaster--Slo-Motion Controls was a company two of us founded in 1990
the single focus of the company was dedicated kit retrofits of Bridgeport Boss 3 thru 6
snap in conversions eleminating all control logic boards found in the left hand-low power cabinet

the step motor drives from factory remained the same--but rarely blew
we used AHHA Design Group software

in a Boss conversion you keep the original factory step motors
pull all transformers in both cabinets

use vfd to power spindle motor ----------------------all components in low power cabinet are of no use
you will need to rewire step motors from 5 to 4 wire configuration
replace mechanical postion counters with encoders and wire these into digital read out for absolute
positioning reliability-- Acorn control only tracks digital pulses to drives, open loop

the best step drive is Superior 2000 D6 series-- 120 vac input and microstepping--
this is my daily use mill conversion on a Boss 5

our company retrofit over 400 Boss machines worldwide
our control remains the most simple bulletproof ever offered--many are operating 25 years later
I have been waiting for a worthy successor--and confidently state it is Acorn--a control also destined for the stars

pic of my second generation board

pulsenpal
Attachments
2slomo.JPG