CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: "No Connection to Acorn Discovered" Error

Post by Muzzer »

Hi Marty

Thanks for the guidance. I'll have a go at that when I am next able to get into the workshop. Got some floor tiling to do first :(

When I did the last upgrade of CNC12 I had to manually copy over a few of the config files before it was fully set up again which was quite painful. If I understand you correctly, restoring the report over a fresh installation (same version) should do the trick. As a matter of interest, do you know if restoring a report will reconfigure the system after an upgrade? Seems unlikely.

Might be wrong but I believe I can simply rename the CNC12 directory rather than uninstalling it, then create a new installation, then restore the report. I suspect you would probably advise the cautious route and uninstall the old, dodgy copy.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Muzzer wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:01 am Hi Marty

Thanks for the guidance. I'll have a go at that when I am next able to get into the workshop. Got some floor tiling to do first :(

When I did the last upgrade of CNC12 I had to manually copy over a few of the config files before it was fully set up again which was quite painful. If I understand you correctly, restoring the report over a fresh installation (same version) should do the trick. As a matter of interest, do you know if restoring a report will reconfigure the system after an upgrade? Seems unlikely.

Might be wrong but I believe I can simply rename the CNC12 directory rather than uninstalling it, then create a new installation, then restore the report. I suspect you would probably advise the cautious route and uninstall the old, dodgy copy.
Yes, you restore to same version of software. In essence, its copying all your config files etc back into the CNC12 directory.
Do not rename it. Copy it and uninstall using Windows Control panel.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Muzzer
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D269594F9C-0110180512
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Muzzer »

Well, I managed to fix it without any fancy reinstall in the end. Although I could ping both the Acorn and the BBG, it seems the Windows Defender Firewall was still partly enabled. It was only when I dived deeper into the settings that I could see some features still turned on, even though the firewall claimed to be turned off. As I hadn't changed anything myself (I'd been away from the machine), I assume it must have been some form of "update". Gah!

Back to normal again now, so finally I can think about actually making swarf again. Given that I am away from home during the week, it's nice to know the machine's going to work when the time comes....
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

👍

Windows is the bane of everything.
I have this habit of making sure all the machines are up to date, then I go through what you did, back tracking to see what was turned back on thanks to a Windows update. Sometimes I think, if the machine works, turn off Windows update. BUT if your machine hangs off a network, you need those antivirus and security updates....grrr

It is what it is. Do a Windows update...go back and check Defender.....and everything else.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ