Updated DMM DYN2 and DYN4 to Acorn Hookup schematics.

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

woffler
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Updated DMM DYN2 and DYN4 to Acorn Hookup schematics.

Post by woffler »

The machine is a lathe ,sorry about that, on the schematic it says to hook wire to ZRI on DYN2 drive to input 2 on Acorn ,I was trying to find out why?
And what it was for ?
Because in the wizard if you load the proper schematic it comes up with it, as a limit switch input 2 ,I do not wish to use it as a home to absolute zero, that's why I have home switches.

The other question was how to wire NPN proximity switches to one input pin = 24 (+) brown wire , common (-) Blue , Black to input ,do I hook all the black wires to the input pin #1 ?

Tahnk you for helping me on this
cncman172
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DAD429EE9-0926170118

Post by cncman172 »

Woffler,

On the proximity switch. Yes, the power brown wires goes to +24V, the Common Blue wire goes to the ground/common connection and the Black goes to the input of your choice. The inputs have a common 24V connection point that also must be connected to 24V, look on your board next to the inputs or look at any of the schematics and you will see these are open collector transistors so the collector is pulled up to 24V.

Russ
woffler

Post by woffler »

Thank's, Russ that will help me get this thing going.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

woffler wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:08 pm The machine is a lathe ,sorry about that, on the schematic it says to hook wire to ZRI on DYN2 drive to input 2 on Acorn ,I was trying to find out why?
And what it was for ?
Because in the wizard if you load the proper schematic it comes up with it, as a limit switch input 2 ,I do not wish to use it as a home to absolute zero, that's why I have home switches.

The other question was how to wire NPN proximity switches to one input pin = 24 (+) brown wire , common (-) Blue , Black to input ,do I hook all the black wires to the input pin #1 ?

Tahnk you for helping me on this
I think its even more important do use the ZRI on the lathe. I would be interested to see how repeatable your prox switches are.
If the feature is there, use it? Unless you need the I/O

Be sure to post pictures of your build.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
spindle Nerd

Post by spindle Nerd »

I think its even more important do use the ZRI on the lathe. I would be interested to see how repeatable your prox switches are.
If the feature is there, use it? Unless you need the I/O
I will give it a try tomorrow, i had to stop for today it was making my head hurt , it's raining and some lightning in southern Arizona right now,i do not need a strike.
spindle Nerd

Post by spindle Nerd »

I did some more work this morning on this lathe rebuild ,from Mach 3 to Acorn ,found out that you (can not) use a dyn 2 drive and a dyn 4 drive on a Acorn board .

You get all kinds of noise ,the dyn 4 motor starts humming and the dyn 2 motor will start moving on its own,the minute you hook the dyn 2 to the parallel port and start Acorn.

Had no problem from DMM board ,did not need a big drive and motor for the X axis,spoke to Dmm and they are sending the new motor and drive out .

I will post some picks of the control soon ,got my panel in today so bench testing is pretty much done ,except for the spindle .
martyscncgarage

spindle Nerd wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:29 pm I did some more work this morning on this lathe rebuild ,from Mach 3 to Acorn ,found out that you (can not) use a dyn 2 drive and a dyn 4 drive on a Acorn board .

You get all kinds of noise ,the dyn 4 motor starts humming and the dyn 2 motor will start moving on its own,the minute you hook the dyn 2 to the parallel port and start Acorn.

Had no problem from DMM board ,did not need a big drive and motor for the X axis,spoke to Dmm and they are sending the new motor and drive out .

I will post some picks of the control soon ,got my panel in today so bench testing is pretty much done ,except for the spindle .
Yeah, that part kind of sux on DMM's part, two different beasts and way of getting the signals into them.
But curiously wonder what exactly the issue was? Seems step/dir signals as long as you didn't try and drive the DYN2 and DYN4 from the same output shouldn't have mattered. DYN2 via DB25 port using a DB25 breakout board like I did on the Emcoturn 120 lathe, and DYN4's using the Acorn terminal blocks.....do you have a schematic you drew up you can share to let us look at? Maybe we can see or figure out why it didn't work?

Did you share the info with DMM and the way you connected them?
Good you are getting all the same drive, which is the best thing really.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
spindle Nerd

Post by spindle Nerd »

Yeah, that part kind of sux on DMM's part, two different beasts and way of getting the signals into them.
But curiously wonder what exactly the issue was? Seems step/dir signals as long as you didn't try and drive the DYN2 and DYN4 from the same output shouldn't have mattered. DYN2 via DB25 port using a DB25 breakout board like I did on the Emcoturn 120 lathe, and DYN4's using the Acorn terminal blocks.....do you have a schematic you drew up you can share to let us look at? Maybe we can see or figure out why it didn't work?

Did you share the info with DMM and the way you connected them?
Good you are getting all the same drive, which is the best thing really.
The problem was this Marty ,after hooking up the DYN 4 drive and motor jogging everything is fine ,Hook up Dyn 2 Drive and power up Acorn .
First thing that will happen is the DYN 2 drive and motor will start to cogg on its own ,and the Dyn 4 motor will start buzzing .

I used the current DMM schematics from the Forum post's with out deviation and seperate power supplies 5v an 24 v , took me a little bit to get my head around it ,but if you simplify this, unplug the DYN 2 drive and the problem goes away.

I talked to Tianu at Dmm and Michael , they are sending motor and drive DYN 4, and i am working with them to see if we can figure it out .

I am going to dig out the scope tomorrow and take another look to see if i can nail it down ,i think it is a power issue from the 48 volt supply interfering with the board,but i am just guessing at this point.
spindle Nerd

Post by spindle Nerd »

Addendum to last post , i did not use the DMM B/O board on the build i used a straight thru ,B/O board to the Acorn per the wiring from the sight .
martyscncgarage

Thanks for the follow up.
I think DMM is also working actively to get their arms around Acorn and bow it functions.
I think they need more customizability in their software for a couple features, like the alarm output signal which appears to pulse rather than be at a steady state. They say some CNC control software uses that type of signal, but it certainly doesn't seem to be the norm.
Mesa, AZ