Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Inrush current limiter?

Post by martyscncgarage »

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:20 pm OK, thanks a bunch for your input.
I know you probably don't want to spend money...but if you want a 400W 44VDC power supply:
http://www.antekinc.com/ps-4n44-400w-44v-power-supply/
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
DICKEYBIRD
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Great link Marty, thanks! Looks like you get a lot for your money with Antek, especially that rectifier module for $25. That's great for someone that already has a xfmr. Would'a-could'a-should'a! I've come this far so I gotta see it all the way to the final shocking result though! :lol:
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Dave_C wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:06 pm Does your stepper drives have any over voltage lights or anything of the sort to let you know it has an issue or does it just let the smoke out when it ain't happy?

Dave C.
Interesting tidbit to add to this way too long thread. I ordered some real deal Leadshine DM542's from Amazon and compared the .pdf manual for them to the Longs Motor DM542A's and found this blurb. Couldn't find any mention of warning lights on the cheaper Longs Motor. Maybe there is a difference?
Attachments
Leadshine Warn Lp.jpg

jazzcnc
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by jazzcnc »

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:08 pm Interesting tidbit to add to this way too long thread. I ordered some real deal Leadshine DM542's from Amazon and compared the .pdf manual for them to the Longs Motor DM542A's and found this blurb. Couldn't find any mention of warning lights on the cheaper Longs Motor. Maybe there is a difference?
When I warned about voltage it was in relation to Leadshine DM542. Like I said they do have Overvoltage protection but it doesn't work very well. The light's blink alright to let you know but the Buggers Still dead.!!
DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Good to know, thanks!

ps: New electrickery term: BSD = "Bugger's Still Dead" :lol:

DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

So I ended up removing turns from the secondary to reduce the output voltage & finished up with around 42 volts rectified & filtered. I think that should be plenty safe especially since that's unloaded. I didn't keep a tally of the total number of turns removed, just started with 5 & kept removing & re-checking 'til it looked good to me. I'll recheck it when the 3 stepper drivers are hooked up; should be less then. I'm a LONG way from checking it when the mill is finished & cutting metal but I can temporarily set the drivers' dip switches for full power instead of 1/2 power at idle. That should approximate the total power usage or close to it.

Interesting sidebar: notice the homemade bobbin shown on top of the meter with the frosty looking tape? I racked my brain trying to come up with some kind of tape (without buying it online) to rewrap it with. I finally settled on the "Doculam" polyester laminating machine film I used to cover my lightweight model airplanes with back when that was my hobby/obsession. I bought it in 500 ft rolls for next to nothing & covered quite a few models with it without making a dent in my stash. It irons on & shrinks just like MonoKote & is about 1/2 as thick & much lighter.

The original toroid polyester tape is much thicker than the Doculam so I just wrapped on more layers. It shrinks & stretches great. It was on a 24" wide roll but I was able to chuck it in the lathe & slice off a 5/8" wide strip with a slitting tool & wound it on the bobbin.

Hopefully the 42 volts will keep the Leadshine DM542's happy so they can live a long & productive life. :)
Attachments
Toroid Fini.jpg

martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:01 pm So I ended up removing turns from the secondary to reduce the output voltage & finished up with around 42 volts rectified & filtered. I think that should be plenty safe especially since that's unloaded. I didn't keep a tally of the total number of turns removed, just started with 5 & kept removing & re-checking 'til it looked good to me. I'll recheck it when the 3 stepper drivers are hooked up; should be less then. I'm a LONG way from checking it when the mill is finished & cutting metal but I can temporarily set the drivers' dip switches for full power instead of 1/2 power at idle. That should approximate the total power usage or close to it.

Interesting sidebar: notice the homemade bobbin shown on top of the meter with the frosty looking tape? I racked my brain trying to come up with some kind of tape (without buying it online) to rewrap it with. I finally settled on the "Doculam" polyester laminating machine film I used to cover my lightweight model airplanes with back when that was my hobby/obsession. I bought it in 500 ft rolls for next to nothing & covered quite a few models with it without making a dent in my stash. It irons on & shrinks just like MonoKote & is about 1/2 as thick & much lighter.

The original toroid polyester tape is much thicker than the Doculam so I just wrapped on more layers. It shrinks & stretches great. It was on a 24" wide roll but I was able to chuck it in the lathe & slice off a 5/8" wide strip with a slitting tool & wound it on the bobbin.

Hopefully the 42 volts will keep the Leadshine DM542's happy so they can live a long & productive life. :)
Good job Milton!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

back when that was my hobby/obsession
Boy do I know that all too well! :x

May the Force (torque) be with you, LOL

Ok, let's steal another one, may the [drives] "live long and prosper!"

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Dave_C wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:58 pm Boy do I know that all too well! :x
I guess that hobby led me to this one eventually. I learned CAD way back when to draw plans & distribute them for a club one-design event. Learning CAD got me to thinking about & building a crude CNC router for accurate rib & bulkhead cutting. I did that for a few years until a fellow club member helped me modify some engines in his shop. Later he sold me a lathe & WHAM! I was smitten & my life was changed forever.

I still have a ton of balsa, ply, covering, methanol, nitromethane & castor oil. On the 1st calm spring day I have a huge guilt trip to deal with. I have 5 grandkids that would love to play with model airplanes with their pappaw but he's always too busy (worthless scoundrel!) I'm determined to actually do it this year though! :)