Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn + Ajax AL-818 lathe

Post by cnckeith »

John, we just emailed you the Lathe pro license. email is from diysales@centroidcnc.com
if you don't see it in your inbox check spam folder.
fyi...the email we got from paypal doesn't match the email you used to sign up for the forum.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

J. Clear wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:57 am Keith report file attached. I'm looking forward to v4.12, anything that makes this easier for me. No hurry though I won't be ready too soon.
Is there is any documentation or pics available of how these lathes were setup originally? I'm in the process of figuring how the motors were mounted
and that would be a big help.

Marty I will be sure to post some pics of my progress. I do hope that you're a patient man though it's gonna take me a while to get this running.
I could use a little help picking out the motors. I was planning on ordering the NEMA 23 282 oz-in Hybrid Stepper Motors for both the Y & Z axis
but that would be a bit under what Keith recommended (750 watt) for the Z. The lathe does have a timing belt pulley on the spindle and I am planning
to fit an encoder. I could use help with what type would work best. I do know it has to drive it 1 to 1.
martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:54 pm I want to see this lathe running! Post picture album of your build and then one of it running.
Does it have provision for an encoder on the spindle? I assume it did?

Marty
*Roughly* Your 282oz in is over the peak of 179 oz in of a 400W
And a 750W is about 346 oz in, vs. your 282 oz in. I think your are pretty close, and that's using the closed loop steppers from Automation Technologies. There are some larger NEMA23 on ebay (and probably elsewhere)

As for an encoder:
Don't know what size shaft, or mount the machine used. Try here:
https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Sh ... uadrature)

You want line driver output, 5VDC power.

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
J. Clear
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by J. Clear »

Keith, got the Pro license loaded up no problem. Sorry about the email issues. Yours wasn't the only one I had problems with, that's why I signed up here with a different one.
cnckeith wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:36 am John, we just emailed you the Lathe pro license. email is from diysales@centroidcnc.com
if you don't see it in your inbox check spam folder.
fyi...the email we got from paypal doesn't match the email you used to sign up for the forum.
Jr914

Post by Jr914 »

Any idea when the pro 4.12 going to be release?
J. Clear

Post by J. Clear »

Wow, when I mentioned Marty needing patience I didn't think it would take me this long. I've got a Fadal VMC and side jobs have been keeping me real busy. So I finally got the motors & encoder mounted. Now it's time to get the controller stuff together, that's going to be more difficult for me. Link attached shows my progress so far. I could use help in specing out a power supply. I have a new "Torrid"? and a PMDX-135 but would be ok with buying one ready to go. I think I also need a relay board & E-stop relay. I am presently researching this stuff, but there is so much I don't know right now.

J. Clear
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XfUyPTGZCYA8A7gt8
martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:20 pm
Marty I will be sure to post some pics of my progress. I do hope that you're a patient man though it's gonna take me a while to get this running.
I could use a little help picking out the motors. I was planning on ordering the NEMA 23 282 oz-in Hybrid Stepper Motors for both the Y & Z axis
but that would be a bit under what Keith recommended (750 watt) for the Z. The lathe does have a timing belt pulley on the spindle and I am planning
to fit an encoder. I could use help with what type would work best. I do know it has to drive it 1 to 1.
martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:54 pm I want to see this lathe running! Post picture album of your build and then one of it running.
martyscncgarage
CNC12: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

J. Clear wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:20 pm Wow, when I mentioned Marty needing patience I didn't think it would take me this long. I've got a Fadal VMC and side jobs have been keeping me real busy. So I finally got the motors & encoder mounted. Now it's time to get the controller stuff together, that's going to be more difficult for me. Link attached shows my progress so far. I could use help in specing out a power supply. I have a new "Torrid"? and a PMDX-135 but would be ok with buying one ready to go. I think I also need a relay board & E-stop relay. I am presently researching this stuff, but there is so much I don't know right now.

J. Clear
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XfUyPTGZCYA8A7gt8
martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:20 pm
Please start a new build thread! Don't mix it up here....
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ