Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn + Ajax AL-818 lathe

Post by J. Clear »

A few years ago I picked up an Ajax AL-818 lathe minus the servos & control system. It came with some aftermarket components like
CNC4PC controller, Granite Devices drives, a Toroidal Transformer & PMDX Power Prep Module and 3 servos. The servos are a bit too big for this setup
so I'm leaning towards the NEMA 23 282 oz-in Hybrid Stepper Motor system from AutomationTechnology. Would these be a good choice?
I think Centroid has done alot to make the install much easier with the new Acorn board. I've watched most of the videos and I think I'm ready to tackle this. I don't have much electronics experience but I can phone a friend if I get in too deep.
I've already recieved the Acorn board and the all-in-one Touch Screen PC. I also ordered the CNCPCpro version but I'm not sure that I've recieved that yet. I've read about receiving an email with the proper .dat file.
One of the reasons I went with the Acorn board is to be able to use the Turret Tool changer. Will I need an additional drive to make this work?

J. Clear
Gary Campbell
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CNC12: Yes

Re: Acorn + Ajax AL-818 lathe

Post by Gary Campbell »

J. Clear...
Can you post a few pics showing what your lathe looks like? A good number here can answer your questions, but might not attempt to, due to unfamiliarity with your model number.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Nice lathe; should look familiar to everyone here!. :D
http://www.ajaxcnc.com/downloads/A818_lathe.pdf
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

J. Clear wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:57 am A few years ago I picked up an Ajax AL-818 lathe minus the servos & control system. It came with some aftermarket components like
CNC4PC controller, Granite Devices drives, a Toroidal Transformer & PMDX Power Prep Module and 3 servos. The servos are a bit too big for this setup
so I'm leaning towards the NEMA 23 282 oz-in Hybrid Stepper Motor system from AutomationTechnology. Would these be a good choice?
I think Centroid has done alot to make the install much easier with the new Acorn board. I've watched most of the videos and I think I'm ready to tackle this. I don't have much electronics experience but I can phone a friend if I get in too deep.
I've already recieved the Acorn board and the all-in-one Touch Screen PC. I also ordered the CNCPCpro version but I'm not sure that I've recieved that yet. I've read about receiving an email with the proper .dat file.
One of the reasons I went with the Acorn board is to be able to use the Turret Tool changer. Will I need an additional drive to make this work?

J. Clear
What motor mounts are on the lathe? Dickeybird posted some info but it didn't give specs on the motor.
This post should be moved up to ACORN forums..

Maybe Keith can shed some light on this machine and what were the axis motor ratings at the time.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
J. Clear

Post by J. Clear »

Dickeybird, thanks for putting up that pdf.
Marty when I got the lathe it was stripped. I've tried to find info or pics showing the original configuration with no luck. I've got some ideas on how I can mount the NEMA 24 style motors and I think (no real experience here) that the 282 oz-in will be strong enough. I do have the equipment to make the mounts. I have an old Lagun mill with a Bandit controller that works well and a Fadal VMC20.
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum, and thanks for putting up your videos, I'm learning a lot from them.
What motor mounts are on the lathe? Dickeybird posted some info but it didn't give specs on the motor.
This post should be moved up to ACORN forums..

Maybe Keith can shed some light on this machine and what were the axis motor ratings at the time.
martyscncgarage

I think they will ok as well. You might wait until tomorrow see if Keith responds with the motor specs.
Mesa, AZ
J. Clear

Post by J. Clear »

Keith thanks for moving this to the right place. Would you be able to help me with these questions?
I ordered the all-in-one Touch Screen PC and the CNCPCpro version for the lathe but I'm not sure that I've received that version yet. I've read about receiving an email with the proper .dat file.
The turret looks similar to the one on the lathe you have/had for sale.
J. Clear
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

hello. please post a report.zip file and i'll make sure the correct license file is emailed to you.

for the motors, i would install a 400 watt on X and a 750 watt on Z

the turret is very simple unit and requires 3 inputs and 1 output. the turret has its own little motor that goes forward and backward.

the upcoming CNC12 v4.12 will have Wizard support for simple ATC turrets like this one. (you can do it now with v4.10 but you got to program your own PLC, (see viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1340) the upcoming v4.12 wizard will do the PLC programming for you by you answering some questions about the atc type.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage

I want to see this lathe running! Post picture album of your build and then one of it running.
Does it have provision for an encoder on the spindle? I assume it did?

Marty
Mesa, AZ
J. Clear

Post by J. Clear »

Keith report file attached. I'm looking forward to v4.12, anything that makes this easier for me. No hurry though I won't be ready too soon.
Is there is any documentation or pics available of how these lathes were setup originally? I'm in the process of figuring how the motors were mounted
and that would be a big help.

Marty I will be sure to post some pics of my progress. I do hope that you're a patient man though it's gonna take me a while to get this running.
I could use a little help picking out the motors. I was planning on ordering the NEMA 23 282 oz-in Hybrid Stepper Motors for both the Y & Z axis
but that would be a bit under what Keith recommended (750 watt) for the Z. The lathe does have a timing belt pulley on the spindle and I am planning
to fit an encoder. I could use help with what type would work best. I do know it has to drive it 1 to 1.
martyscncgarage wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:54 pm I want to see this lathe running! Post picture album of your build and then one of it running.
Does it have provision for an encoder on the spindle? I assume it did?

Marty
Attachments
report_38D26950B9CB-1228170415_2018-01-16_09-06-28.zip
(166.23 KiB) Downloaded 117 times