Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Setting up tool offsets

Post by ScotY »

I’ve been trying to set up my tools using the procedure in Franco’s YouTube video and I’m a little confused on a couple of things.

His procedure is, if I understand correctly, as follows:
1. Home machine
2. Activate G59 because it’s an unused WCS with zero values
3. Make sure all WCS have zero for the X value
4. Take a skim pass and use this to set the X offset
5. Find a Z reference point and use it to set Z offset

I have done all that and it seems like I did it correctly. What I’m confused about are the following things:
1. Does it matter what WCS you are in when setting up your tools? If so, why?
2. After I have the tool offset done, do I need to set a part offset for X? I tried to do this using the same skim cut part and when I ask for X0, the tool is not on the centerline of the part.

If someone has a simplified written procedure for setting up your tool library, it would be nice to see. Yes, I did read the manual. :lol: I must be getting hung up on something simple and have confused myself again. :lol:
RayL
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Re: Setting up tool offsets

Post by RayL »

What I suspect you're going to find is there are about 2000 different ways to define fixture offsets and tool length offsets. Every person you talk to will have a favorite method that he will swear is the ONLY correct way to do it.

Fact is, YOU need to understand the purpose of all the offsets, and look a as many different methods of setting them as you can, and decide what works for you. Make sure you understand HOW AND WHY each method works, don't just memorize a procedure, or it will eventually come back to bite you in the a$$.

Then you can get into even more exciting (and often polarizing) topics like:

Should the machine X/Y Home positions be at the left-rear, right-rear, left-front right-front, or center of the machine travels?

Should I set my X/Y fixture zeros be at the left-rear, right-rear, left-front right-front, or center of the stock? Or the finished part? Or to a hole in the part? Or a point on the fixture?

Should I set my Z fixture zero at the top of the stock? The bottom of the stock? The top of the finished part? The bottom of the finished part?
Regaards,
Ray L.
ScotY
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Post by ScotY »

I AM trying to understand how this works, not just blindly looking for a procedure to follow. I’m also hoping someone can answer my questions.

Seems to me, for a lathe, if your tool offset in X is defined, you shouldn’t need to set it again for the part offset. As I said, I do not understand how this works.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

scot, that is true if the machine has the ability to home out at the EXACT location day in and day out..
if you are using Acorn with the DYN2 drive that have marker pulse output (they call it reference output) then yes, you never have to reset X once you set it.. otherwise.. you have to reset X every time you power off and power back up and home out.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Okay, thanks...that makes sense. I’m assuming the best way to find the X offset for the day is using the skim cut method?

Previously asked question...does it matter what WCS you’re in when setting your offsets for the tool library? It doesn’t seem to matter but I’m not sure.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

yes, skim cut or touch off known diameter and set X as per manual instructions.

i always choose "YES" to "Set all WCS" when setting X. so all the X part zero locations for all WCS are at the center line of the spindle.
lathe x part zero.JPG
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
cbb1962
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2695C8301-0122180576

Post by cbb1962 »

I know that there are router enhancements coming in the next release of the software, but currently, is there a procedure or a macro for setting tool zero for manual tool changes without tool holders?
Clint in NW Arkansas

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know...
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

how to create a macro and assign it to a VCP AUX key has been described in earlier post.

Here is a sample one line macro that zero out the current position.

G92 X0YOZO sets current position X Y Z part zero for the WSC currently being used.

refer to earlier post for instruction on how to map the macro to an available AUX key on the VCP

and you can always use the Part Setup screen F1 Setup, F1 Part to set part zero locations.
midy
CNC12: Yes

Post by midy »

Just starting to set my tool offsets on my lathe and am a bit confused by the 'reference tool' The manual/help refers to a reference tool, but I don't see it in my tool library? Or do you simply use tool 1 as the reference tool?

cheers
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Take a look here, it may help you understand the process described in the manual a little better.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1405&start=30

The reference tool is just whichever tool you choose, and it will usually be tool #1. Not sure if it HAS to be tool #1 though. I read somewhere it’s better to use an insert type tool for your reference tool as it’s shape/length won’t change if you need to sharpen it.

Your reference tool’s offset value in the table should be zero. However, you need to set the reference tool’s offset from machine zero...not at the computer so can’t remember how to do it. But that is important, the reference tool needs to be referenced to the machine zero position (tool table values 0,0) but the values for the offsets for all your other tools is the difference in X/Z relative to the reference tool.

I hope I got that right and that it makes sense. :lol: