Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn ERRORS during first move <resolved>

Post by BrandSacped »

I have upgraded a clients simple 1 axis machine from Mach-3 to an Acorn controller. It also uses a clearpath servo (part number SDHP-3441S-ELN)
I can not get it to work correctly. At first the motor would start to turn and fault out with an error, now any time a move command of any kind is sent to the controller by the software, the motor moves slowly one direction regardless of G code being executed in the software. I can only stop the motion with an E-stop. The motor's LED indicator will flash a code consisting of four long yellow blinks.

I have attached the report and some photos
Attachments
20180101_193516.jpg
20180108_182218.jpg
20180108_182849.jpg
20180108_184124.jpg
report_985DADB49EC7-1215170116_2018-01-08_18-42-18.zip
(155.79 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
diycncscott

Re: Acorn ERRORS during first move

Post by diycncscott »

You state this is a single axis machine yet you defined limit switch inputs for 4 axes. You also have a DriveOk/Drive Fault input defined, is this wired?

What is plugged into the DB25? Unplug it. We have a schematic for Clearpath, please follow it.

I suggest you run the wizard and start with a benchtest configuration so you're not fighting a bunch of faults on non existent axes..

instructions are here. http://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy ... guide.html
BrandSacped
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Post by BrandSacped »

Yup, that's how I set it up. I have only used the wizard.

It should only have two limits. X+ and X-
It only has one axis, X. Y and Z are disabled in the wizard.

Drive OK/Drive fault are wired up per the Centroid wiring schematic for clearpath. I have a picture attached showing the wiring to the board that shows the colors of each wire from the clearpath motor and which pin on the board they are wired to. Are you saying something is incorrect?
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

1. Please remove the board that is plugged into the db25. It is a complete unknown and needs to be removed from the equation for troubleshooting. Is it plugged into the db25? I just looked at the picture again and maybe it's just mounted right next to it. Still - see #2 below.

2. Remove all other wiring that does directly follow our Clearpath schematic

3. Please run the Wizard, select "Benchtest" and click "Write settings to CNC control configuration."

4. Power cycle your PC, Acorn and Clearpath hardware.

5. Start Acorn CNC12 software and report your findings with the machine exactly as configured above.

6. Send an updated report
BrandSacped

Post by BrandSacped »

There is no board plugged into the DB25 port. You are looking at a small relay board that is mounted close to the acorn.

What you are suggesting I do I have done three times. I have started over with the wizard each time. However, I can do it again when I get back to the location of the machine, But it is 40 minutes away on a factory floor and I would like to go there with more than one arrow in my quiver if you know what i mean.

The only things that are connected to the board are two limits, an E-stop and two outputs to the relays. I can easily remove those, but I highly doubt either of those has the ability to cause these types of errors...right?

I have error codes, what do they mean?
Where is the documentation that shows error codes? Isn't there an acorn manual other than the quick start guides?
Why would the motor move slowly in one direction without being commanded to do so?
What is the relationship between the clearpath drive OK signal and the acorn?
Is that what one of the error codes indicates, that the clearpath motor is faulted, or is the acorn faulting and sending the signal to error out the clearpath?

I have a feeling there's a big document somewhere that I'm not aware of that can tell me these things.
BrandSacped

Post by BrandSacped »

Here's a better picture of the acorn and it's connections.
Attachments
20180108_170703.jpg
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

can you get a internet connection to the cncpc?

about 3/4 the way down, alan shows us his Acorn to Clearpath setup in a video.
http://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy ... ideos.html
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

I also noticed that you are not using the ethernet cable provided with the Acorn. You MUST use a shielded ethernet cable. If it's shielded, it will have a metal clip on each end.

You said it had been working. When? Did you perform the benchtest initially? Was it working then? When did it stop working? What was added? If you press F3-MDI from the main screen, does the white box for the MDI command stay up on the screen or does it kick you out? If it kicks you out, there is a fault/limit/some other condition causing it to do so.
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Error codes for the blinking Clearpath motors is documented in Appendix A of the manual here:
https://www.teknic.com/files/downloads/ ... manual.pdf
You have to create a free account to view the file. Four yellow blinks means the RMS torque limit has been exceeded, command speed is too high, tracking error limit exceeded, or excessive bus current.
BrandSacped

Post by BrandSacped »

That is a shorter shielded Ethernet cable that I used initially, but I have swapped it with the one that came with the Acorn kit just to be sure. No change.

The acorn was never working. The clearpath worked before with Mach3 and an ESS. My bench test was on the machine when I first installed the acorn. everything mechanical was unhooked except the gearhead and drive pinion. The only things connected to the acorn were the motor, the power supply, and the Estop per the clearpath wiring schematic. But I can unhook everything again tonight and go through it all again.

The MIDI works fine, the machine just behaves as I described before.

There's almost nothing to setup in the wizard. I set the steps/rev to 6400 for the -ELN motor. I calculated the turns per inch by taking the total reduction on the axis, 50:1, divided by the circumference of the drive pulley which is 6.9959 = 7.1470 motor turns/inch.

The motor only turns at 840 rpm max.

Any concerns with my math?