CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Acorn & PC Division of Tasks

Post by Gary Campbell »

mikes...
When you say: "I am sorry, but I am not so sure that because it is heavier, it is harder.", I believe I would have to categorically disagree.

Imagine a low or no load complex toolpath. Your signature on a whiteboard for example. Your brain is able to take feedback from your body in a similar fashion to encoders on a given axis. Perform the following test: Write your name on a whiteboard 10 times. Each time add 1 pound of weight to your wrist and increase the speed. Remember that your mind will perform the recalcs easier than most computers of normal specs.

Remember that speed, mass and load will all complicate perfect trajectories, especially when the load is a variable, unknown and often changing. That is the major difference between additive and subtractive machining. With additive machining the mass and load are virtually fixed, so all that needs to be calculated is speed for the medium and special start/stop parameters.
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
mikes
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by mikes »

Interesting analogy, thank you!
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

mikes wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:51 pm Interesting analogy, thank you!
Boy Mike, you sure analyzed this one! It was an interesting read for sure. I enjoyed reading the dialogue.
Why don't you buy one and set it up and give it a go?

The rest of us are building and refitting machines while you are thinking this through.....
Let's see, I am down two All in One DC's, and on machine #4 with Acorn and looks like #5 might be a large scale hotwire machine.
Over 30 years in the business...Centroid's been doing something right, their controls have been fitted to MANY types of machines, including their 5 axis A590 Cylinder Head/Cylinder Block machining Center

https://youtu.be/Ez20PFZyjBk

...For me, I don't care about the math or logic, I care about the reliability, the support and my finished part, so far so good for me anyway! :D
This shidt is good stuff made by good people who care!

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
mikes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by mikes »

martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:14 pm Boy Mike, you sure analyzed this one!
Thanks for the thoughts, and your words are not falling on deaf ears. I do however need to dot some 'i's. Right now I think I will be concentrating on the CNC router design, trying not to make too many mistakes. I am sure I will wish I had known this or that, and want to change something after it is built, but that is also part of the learning process. I am trying to keep it modular so I can rip it apart and change what I don't like. We will see. I would love to put the design on the forum for others to offer their thoughts, but that would require I model the thing to a point where it can be visualised. I'm doing this with the brackets, which are all custom, but that does not tell much of the story. I'll create a build thread if I do go with the Acorn.

I assume you are using some of those CNC machines for money making endeavors? As I think you probably gleaned from the thread, I am doing the opposite. That is, spending a bunch of money and probably won't gain monetarily from it, but I am having fun!
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

mikes wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:55 am
martyscncgarage wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:14 pm Boy Mike, you sure analyzed this one!

I assume you are using some of those CNC machines for money making endeavors? As I think you probably gleaned from the thread, I am doing the opposite. That is, spending a bunch of money and probably won't gain monetarily from it, but I am having fun!
Key phrase, HAVING FUN!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ