Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

AXYZ5014 CNC Router retrofit attempt #2

Post by muibubbles »

So I've been posting too many questions everywhere I figured it was time to start a build/retrofit thread. I've been talking with Marty and we both think it may be helpful to others to document my journey as it doesn't seem like there are too many people using the acorn for Router tables. So hopefully you can learn from my mistakes, because there will be a lot!

Backstory (you can skip this)
This is my 3rd CNC machine. I started out with a small 2'x4' CNC Router parts hobby unit about 4-5 years back and has been my work horse. A year ago I added an Arclight Dynamics 5'x10' Plasma table (Hypertherm PM45) to the fleet. Both running off mach 3, and I've been using vetric cut2d and sheetcam as my CAM programs.

A few months ago I acquired my largest table, a used AXYZ5014 CNC Router that was in semi working condition, It powered on and could jog sometimes, but the sub console had some errors which we suspected it was the computer. But, with the deal they included another computer which was a newer version that was believed to never been used, I took the gamble and............lost, lol. Along the way some of my motor drivers fried, and after some searching it turned out to be a common issue with the pacific scientific drivers (the cable end gets too hot and cracks the plastic and fries itself -- which i believe because I also have a box of probably 8 additional fried drivers that came with the table, and they are like $300-$500 each and non-rebuild-able) That, plus buying new firmware and then some software to see if I could diagnose the problem, which wouldn't even connect to the table and then finding out they wanted to charge me $100 per phone call, I was fed up with AXYZ and did not want to be tied to ANY of their proprietary equipment. Thankfully I accounted for the worst, so I began my retrofit. I settled for Linuxcnc with the MESA Boards and got some motion but I ended up giving up after that. There was too much coding/script writing etc that I did not have the patience, time, or desire to learn (I'm fairly computer illiterate past the basics). The project sat for a while and as I was looking for an alternative that wouldn't require me to write programming to get the machine to run, and then I found Acorn!

So here's My set up:
Axyz 5014 Table
AXYZ A2MC > MESA Boards/Linuxcnc > Acorn/CNC12
Dual spindle carriage (2 Z Motors)
HSD ES919
AZYX ELTE TMPE5 14/2
Air drill
(2) Emerson Commander SE Inverter
Vexta PK299-F4.5A Stepper Motors
Scientific Pacific> Keling 8060 Drives
Rack and Pinion XY
Ball screw Z
Zoned vacuum table
Becker Vacuum pump
Popup pins
Touch plate (questionable condition)
Pressure foot/dust shoe

For the ease of things I just want to get the table running with the one VFD and running th HSD ES919 spindle.

This machine was purchased from a multi-million dollar solid surface fabrication company (corian and such). SO needless to say, they have plenty of money, anddddd they did not maintenance the machine well at all. Actually, their idea of maintenance was replace the parts after they got trash from being neglected by dust. Here are some pics prior to pick up!
**Not the safest way to transport a table**

And Finally back at the shop

I failed to take a lot of pictures when I was doing the "restoration" part of the build but I basically took every single bolt and nut off to clean, Disassembled all the bearings and slides cleaned EACH bearing and then reassembled them- EVERYTHING was caked with dust. The shop didn't have air filters, running the dust shoe or dust collector....... :x :x

Popup pins were seized...

After cleaning

Pressure foot/dust shoe- actually one of my favorite designs of this machine! (before refurbishing it)

The Nightmare cabinet while I still had the MESA boards in it..

And my other CNC's

So at this point I successfully bench tested acorn and got motion on all axis. I'm currently in the process of mounting the board and power supplies in the cabinet which have become quiet cramped! The layout is less than ideal as this is the 3rd layout this cabinet has seen! Next I will have to fine tune the motors and dial them in.

Also the table currently has Carlo Gavazzi IA 08 BLN 25 PO (PNP NO Inductive sensors) I've been looking to replace them with their NPN NC counter part CARLO GAVAZZI IA08BLN25NC -- Which comes out to $100 for 3 with shipping. Or AECO NPN NO Inductive Sensors $24 each http://www.factorymation.com/SI8-DC2-NPN-NO Has anyone heard of either, or recommend one over the other? Or am I better off going with Ebay ones? My only requirement is for the sensor to be an M8x1.0 threaded sensor so I can place them in the same location as the stock ones.

For reference, I cut 90% aluminum, I currently only do profile cutting.

And the other two tables:
frijoli
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Re: AXYZ5014 CNC Router retrofit attempt #2

Post by frijoli »

Great project, and Good job getting that beast rolling!

Carlo Gavazzi makes good sensors. However if I were going to go inexpensive, before I bought the factorymation units, I would buy Automation Direct. There almost almost always in stock, and ship same day. Customer service is great.
They're about the same price.

Clay
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
cncman172
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DAD429EE9-0926170118

Post by cncman172 »

This should be a great project. Wow, that solid surface place really abuse their equipment. The one that really got me was looking in the control cabinet which was full of the dust from the corian or whatever they were cutting. Unreal mess.

Clearly you are doing the right thing taking it all apart and cleaning everything, that is a first great step. The Acorn will control this table no issue, I have mine running a much smaller router table with no issues. When it comes to adding the other spindles you will probably need to upgrade to maybe their Oak board. That is a very heavy table and it should be very stable, it will most likely become your primary table when you are all done. I almost got a AXYZ several years ago from a place in town that just purchased a brand new machine. I went to pick it up and found they had sold the table twice. The other buyer threaten to sue so they got the table. I was really disappointed because the one I was buying had the HSD spindle with tool changer. So I have to make my own 5x5.

Russ
muibubbles

Post by muibubbles »

Clay, Would you recommend something like these over the Carlos sensors? https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Sh ... /AES-CN-3A

They're only a few bucks cheaper, but they are shipping from the States and I'd feel more comfortable using parts that are more easily accessible.

Russ- YES it was pretty rough, I have to get a picture of the box of parts they replaced... They were replacing the bearings 3 times ever 2 years!! They also had and older Thermwood and Newer Onsrud. But they sold this one to clear up floor space for a newer big boy onsrud, wonder how long those will last....

I don't plan to add the second spindle, as it's more likely overkill for my application. I really just wanted a larger table so I didn't have to keep pre cutting sheets to fit on my smaller 2x4 table, I've been doing it for years and it has gotten so old. PLUS I wanted th vacuum table, it should speed up my production times drastically and make my pricing more competitive (I make automotive parts) I'm hoping once this is set up and my new work horse, I'll start throwing the spare parts (second spindle) on the smaller cnc and upgrade that (enclosure, sensors, ACORN, etc)

Thats crazy, I've always gravitated towards the AXYZ table for some reason although I feel like not much support is available unless you want to pay $100 per ticket with their customer service (too much for my scale of operation) These can be had for a pretty decent price when they come up at industrial auctions!
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

That's a substantial machine for sure. Again, its a good example of finding a dedicated CNC machine for retrofit. Given its past, you put a lot of elbow grease into it and its likely going to pay off.

BOY you must have a lot of shop space!

Please do keep us posted of your progress. Do show it off when done, video of it cutting, showing CNC12 running and a tour around it including the control cabinet with Acorn.

Looking forward to your build!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
muibubbles

Post by muibubbles »

Sorry for the lack of updates, it's been hard finding time mess around with the table but got some progress made!

I cleaned up some of the wiring and mounted the Acorn board, power supply's and distribution blocks.
(It's far from the ideal setup but it was originally AXYZ's design, then I retrofitted everything and mounted all the components around the MESA board, and recently just reconfigured the cabinet around the acorn board- so some of the placement of things is a little wonky and not ideal)

For this part, I'd like to thank Marty for his contributions through videos, and countless posts. They were a HUGE help guiding me along the way.
In this case, the video on tuning motors was a HUGE help.
Link for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3SSgb_FnDA

Also page 65 in the allin1dc manual was very helpful in fine tuning the motors
http://www.centroidcnc.com/downloads/ce ... manual.pdf

For anyone else needing the formula to calibrate their motors its:
Commanded movement (most common is 1" movement) DIVIDED BY Actual movement (measured by the dial indicator) MULTIPLIED BY your current Motor Revs/in = Your new Motor Revs/in
(I had a to do some searching to find this out since it was not clearly stated in Marty's video and I couldn't find the link to the spread sheet with the formula's built in)

Here are the results:
Axis Command DRO Dial Indicator
X 1" .9995 1.004
Y 1" 1.004 1.0015
Z 1" .9999 1.002

I was manually inputting the g-code in the MDI screen to move 1" but the DRO did not land exactly at 1" is this normal? (I haven't done any backlash comp) Do these numbers seem average, good or bad?

I also got around to repairing the vacuum table manifold as it got damaged loading it onto the trailer transporting it.

Vacuum Zone break down

Mounted the tool holder rack (still needs cleaning from previous owner)

Next major task will be getting the VFD wired up and spindle going which I've had some ongoing discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1286&p=8892#p8892

Some of the VFD wires wired up, trying to get it running before doing the final routing of the wires

Also just got my new proximity sensors in from automation direct that I'm hoping to have in tomorrow!
(4) AES-CN-3A
Inductive proximity sensor
tubular 8mm x 20.3mm
Stainless steel
NPN, NC, IP67
2mm sensing distance

Andddd other projects I still need to complete...
Finish wiring the Vacuum pump

Finish restoring my dust shoe/pressure foot- need to get another fitting for the air line and finish painting the parts that were sand blasted!

Figure out what to do with the pop up pins- They were seized so I took them apart and cleaned them out, now they "work" but sometimes stick and just not overall great..

And address the tool touch off plate built into the table -I'm not sure if its in working condition or if it will even be accurate due to the surface condition...

-Benny
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Holy shmolly! That's a job! :o
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
muibubbles

Post by muibubbles »

Yeah, I'm definitely wayyy over my head lol

On the plus note, Proximity switches are wired up (thanks again to Marty lol)
Wiring through the gantry

X-axis sensor

Y-axis sensor

Z-axis.... Uh I ordered a sensor too short so I couldn't attach it lol. So I'll have to see if i can retrofit something to get it to work, if not I'll have to purchase the longer length version (about .5" longer which still might be too short)

Then going back to when I was cleaning out all the bearings and sliders, I found some metal brackets where the "sweepers" go and judging by how they maintained their machine, I thought they made them to band-aid it up. Turns out they were attached on to trigger the Proximity sensors, which I had thrown away a few months back.... So I had to re-make some brackets to trigger the sensors! #Facepalm

And currently how the Acorn board is wired up, Once I confirm the Proximity sensors work as the homing switches I'll tidy up the wiring.Image

Also for anyone else who is more visual and needs help wiring up proximity switches, I made a diagram that may be helpful to some!
Brown- +24VDC
Blue- Common
Black- Acorn input

Lastly I just got the NPN Relay board in so I'll be giving the VFD/Spindle wiring a try tomorrow! Fingers crossed the spindle works (never seen it run :/)