Bench testing. Spindle won't turn off(resolved)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

frijoli
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Bench testing. Spindle won't turn off

Post by frijoli »

Thanks everyone for the help.
I believe I explained the situation in a way that everyone thought I was trying to accomplish something, when what I am trying to do is understand what the board itself is doing, and something I don't think it should be doing.

Clay
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
frijoli

Post by frijoli »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:04 am
frijoli wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:39 pm
martyscncgarage wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:34 pm

Frijoli,
Please open the Wizard
Go to Tab 3
What is the minimun spindle speed set to?
I believe when in MANUAL mode this is what it starts at.....

Let us know please.
Marty
Minimum speed is set to zero.
Frijoli,
I went out to my benchtest rig. I set 0 for minimum speed and I set 1000 for max spindle speed. Wrote that configuration to Acorn

I restarted ACORN
I started CNC12
I set spindle from AUTO to Manual
I pressed the green spindle start button, it defaults to the low speed until I hit 100% and then it jumped up to 500. I measured the analog voltage and got 5VDC as it should, As long as Acorn is powered up it stays at this speed. You can hit the - speed button and it should drop down to 0

Marty
Thanks Marty. That's what I would expect it to do. That's NOT what mine is doing. When I power up CNC 12 it starts in manual mode AND is "running" at 1000. I can slow it down, or speed it up. BUT I didn't start it, that's the way it booted; it started on it's own while estopped.

Clay
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Clay,
You made me go out at 9:30pm to FIRE up the bench test rig, fire up the lathe and make you a video.
(Video uploading from my smartphone)
DO this please:
1: Open wizard, assign output 2 to SPINFWD (remove it from any other output). Set spindle speed minimum to 0 and maxium to 1000rpm in Tab 3 0f the Wizard. Write the settings to Acorn

2: Cycle Power to Acorn
3: Start CNC12
4: Press Spindle AUTO MANUAL button on Virtual Control Panel (WHEN YOU DO THIS, WATCH THE - button under 100%)
5: Press the GREEN Spindle ON button to start the imaginary Spindle VFD...did you hear relay 2 click? Check continuity across its contacts. You should have continuity
6: Press 100%...did the RPM go to 500? Measure the spindle analog voltage output on Acorn, should be 5vdc
7: Press the RED button to stop the imaginary spindle VFD...did you hear relay 2 click??? Check continuity across its contacts. You should NOT have continuity
8: Yep, RPM still reads 500 doesn't it? BUT the FWD signal is OFF VFD is not running. if you press the green button again, yep, relay 2 closes again, and you get 5VDC out.

9: Go to MDI
10: Call M3 S500, press cycle start. Did the RELAY 2 Click??? Continuity? 5VDC on analog terminals?
11: Call M3 S1000, press cycle start. Relay 2 is still closed and now display reads 1000rpm? (10VDC on the Acorn spindle analog output?)
12: Press M5, Relay 2 click? no continuity? Your imaginary VFD is off.

The gist is, in manual mode, the last speed called will stay, but with no SPINFWD command, the spindle wont run until you hit the green button. Relay 2 closes. Hit the RED stop button, relay 2 opens.

Mi mi time.... ;)
I will post a link to the video after I brush my teeth. :D Maybe by then it will be finished uploading (warning...you might get sick watching it! :mrgreen: )

https://youtu.be/aY08cctyhvY
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
frijoli

Post by frijoli »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:48 am Clay,
You made me go out at 9:30pm to FIRE up the bench test rig, fire up the lathe and make you a video.

Mi mi time.... ;)
I will post a link to the video after I brush my teeth. :D Maybe by then it will be finished uploading (warning...you might get sick watching it! :mrgreen: )

https://youtu.be/aY08cctyhvY
You're a hoot Marty. I'll follow up later 1 AM here...
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
ScotY
CNC11: No

Post by ScotY »

That's dedication, Marty...awesome! :D
frijoli

Post by frijoli »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:48 am Clay,
DO this please:
1: Open wizard, assign output 2 to SPINFWD (remove it from any other output). Set spindle speed minimum to 0 and maxium to 1000rpm in Tab 3 0f the Wizard. Write the settings to Acorn

2: Cycle Power to Acorn
3: Start CNC12
4: Press Spindle AUTO MANUAL button on Virtual Control Panel (WHEN YOU DO THIS, WATCH THE - button under 100%)
5: Press the GREEN Spindle ON button to start the imaginary Spindle VFD...did you hear relay 2 click? Check continuity across its contacts. You should have continuity
6: Press 100%...did the RPM go to 500? Measure the spindle analog voltage output on Acorn, should be 5vdc
7: Press the RED button to stop the imaginary spindle VFD...did you hear relay 2 click??? Check continuity across its contacts. You should NOT have continuity
8: Yep, RPM still reads 500 doesn't it? BUT the FWD signal is OFF VFD is not running. if you press the green button again, yep, relay 2 closes again, and you get 5VDC out.

9: Go to MDI
10: Call M3 S500, press cycle start. Did the RELAY 2 Click??? Continuity? 5VDC on analog terminals?
11: Call M3 S1000, press cycle start. Relay 2 is still closed and now display reads 1000rpm? (10VDC on the Acorn spindle analog output?)
12: Press M5, Relay 2 click? no continuity? Your imaginary VFD is off.
Okay, did that and it works as described. As always, you are a valuable resource, and great member on here!
I appreciate you staying up past your bed time too! :lol:
I thought it was not supposed to have an analog signal until I told it to do something. I didn't want to hook anything up until I understood it.
My drive connections will be a little different. This is what took me down this rabbit hole.
I will start another post with the schematic of my spindle drive set-up to verify my thought process.

Clay
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet
CNC11: No

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

frijoli wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:45 amI appreciate you staying up past your bed time too! :lol:
Robots don't sleep; you didn't know? He's a 'bot in beta testing from Centroid's advanced R&D lab. Just take a look at any of his videos....REAL close. He never smiles & if you look for it you'll see a tiny facial tic. All that will be fixed in the next firmware upgrade.

ps: He did say he was a beta tester for Centroid...yes? 'Bot's are programmed to never lie to their masters. ;) :lol:
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
martyscncgarage

[/quote]

Okay, did that and it works as described. As always, you are a valuable resource, and great member on here!
I appreciate you staying up past your bed time too! :lol:
I thought it was not supposed to have an analog signal until I told it to do something. I didn't want to hook anything up until I understood it.
My drive connections will be a little different. This is what took me down this rabbit hole.
I will start another post with the schematic of my spindle drive set-up to verify my thought process.

Clay
[/quote]

Clay, you did good. Because you took the extra effort to be cautious, I took the extra effort to shoot the video. It not only helps you, but those that visit & read, it might help too.

There is lots of good info on this site, but we have HUNDREDS of messages. Hopefully folks use the search engine to help them find topics they are looking for.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:02 pm
frijoli wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:45 amI appreciate you staying up past your bed time too! :lol:
Robots don't sleep; you didn't know? He's a 'bot in beta testing from Centroid's advanced R&D lab. Just take a look at any of his videos....REAL close. He never smiles & if you look for it you'll see a tiny facial tic. All that will be fixed in the next firmware upgrade.

ps: He did say he was a beta tester for Centroid...yes? 'Bot's are programmed to never lie to their masters. ;) :lol:
:geek:

Ask Keith about your P.S. :D
I am happy to be in good company, and happy to work with Centroid. Good stuff!
Mesa, AZ