Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19F23AFF-0213180659
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Signal conditioner/isolator

Post by Threedj16 »

martyscncgarage wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:58 am Tbe manual shows a min max range for both the min and Max trim pot. Seems like it will work.
KB Electronics has good support. Why don't you call them and ask your specific question.
What is the armature voltage requirement and HP of your motor? If 90VDC and less than 2hp
I would just replace the DC motor drive with one from KB Electronics with it's optional signal isolator and may be heat skink if required. Such as the KBIC-125. Clean it up and do it right if possible.
Thanks, I'll look again.

Even being an electrical and instrument tech for 30 years, I'm still clueless on motors like these. It's sold as a brushless DC servo. Signal line common on the new one is 171v DC. Motor voltage runs 171v AC and 24v DC (assume one is just noise or back EMF??) Four motor leads and five feedback leads to controller. I've read it uses several hall effect devices for rpm feedback. Again, I'm used to standard instrument signals or 480v 3 phase motors, this thing is just strange to me.

But the CSM1000 is 116 buck 3/4HP motor. For the price and size , it's actually quite a strong little motor (you won't stop it with a glove test at any speed we've tried). Pretty commonly used among Taig and Sherline owners. Have one on my Taig mill and it hogs 1/2" alum at 45 IPM only slowed by mill rigidity.

I'll attach a few pics, maybe something looks familiar?
Thanks
20180302_095652.jpg
20180302_101338.jpg
20180302_095722.jpg
20180302_095635.jpg
20180302_095700.jpg
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

If its brushless, no dice on the KB Controllers, they are for DC Brush motors.
Good luck with it.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Well, guess I'll just stick with what I know. The isolated signal coverter. Similar setup on my mill (just didn't need isolation) has been plowing away for a good while with no issues. With UCCNC and my UC300ETH tied to spindle with a quadrature encoder, I get full PID control on my mill spindle using this motor and signal loop. Just hoping to do similar with Acorn. Board and lathe both arrive today, so many weekends ahead playing. I'll start a thread soon to document this upgrade and hopefully learn a lot along with leaving info others may try doing a simular upgrade.

Anyway, appreciate the responses and feedback. Nice group of helpful folks here. Thanks!
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Ahh, a servo control. Take a look at something like an AMC BE25A20AC. They're pretty easily configurable but the problem there is you'll need +/-10v, not the 0-10v analog out the Acorn has. Quagmire eh? Marty knows about that little issue. :D
Attachments
Servo BE25A20AC.pdf
(316.33 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:57 am Ahh, a servo control. Take a look at something like an AMC BE25A20AC. They're pretty easily configurable but the problem there is you'll need +/-10v, not the 0-10v analog out the Acorn has. Quagmire eh? Marty knows about that little issue. :D
Problem is I don't believe it's truly a servo motor. Honestly with those crazy voltage readings, not a clue what to call it....LOL. But unfortunately this is my first hurdle to cross with the new build. So far, about the only thing I feel really comfortable with is using this: https://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Sh ... nput/FC-33

At least it's an item I am more familiar with and can see it will cover any conversion I need and isolate the two signals.
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

Well, you guys did nail it....I just didn't read deep enough into the manual I guess. Decided since you'll have been down this road, it was definitely worth looking into more. So I called the KB Electronics tech support line and explained everything as I did on this thread and they recommended exactly the same thing as you'll did...the KBSI-240D. This is about 30 bucks cheaper than the din rail mount isolator/converter from Automation Tech. Maybe I'll luck up and find a good deal on ebay for one.

Anyway, thanks again for the input. Sorry I wasn't quite getting it the first time.
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Cool, thanks for the feedback! That Consew rig looks like a lotta bang for the buck on a small lathe or mill.

Those KBSI-240's come up from time to time on ebay DIRT cheap. I have 2 spare's for my machines & I paid $35.00 NIB for one of them from a surplus outfit. It was Buy it Now for $90 w/free shipping or Best Offer. I said what the heck & offered $35 & it came back accepted almost instantly. They must've had it pre-configured to accept almost any offer. Since the cool kids poo-poo DC motors & controls these days, there's tons of the stuff out there for next to nothing. Perfect for old tight-wads like me. :D
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
Threedj16

Post by Threedj16 »

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:21 pm Cool, thanks for the feedback! That Consew rig looks like a lotta bang for the buck on a small lathe or mill.

Those KBSI-240's come up from time to time on ebay DIRT cheap. I have 2 spare's for my machines & I paid $35.00 NIB for one of them from a surplus outfit. It was Buy it Now for $90 w/free shipping or Best Offer. I said what the heck & offered $35 & it came back accepted almost instantly. They must've had it pre-configured to accept almost any offer. Since the cool kids poo-poo DC motors & controls these days, there's tons of the stuff out there for next to nothing. Perfect for old tight-wads like me. :D
I did just find a used one for $15 on ebay, but the seller hasn't responded to me. But I did find several under 50 bucks. Honestly, my main focus was just to figure out my path forward. I have a long way to go as first things are getting this machine on a cart to work on and then milling out a new mount for the motor. Plus I need to do a lot of stuff for where I am going to mount everything. This weekend was more just an info hunt and now getting my path set.

Thanks again for the help.