Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Help: Wiring up VFD (Commander SE)

Post by muibubbles »

Marty, Thanks for taking the time to write out a great explanation. After receiving my relay board, re-watching your video and this post over and over again, things started to make sense!

I tried to draw out the schematic and it got really messy (first attempt ever drawing a schematic haha) **the outputs to relay connections are wrong in this pic**

But it was enough to get me to understand how to connect everything up. Currently this is how everything is wired

I've tested OC4 and OC5 (spindle FWD and REV) and the relays are clicking, LED is on on the board, and the VCP is showing they are wired up correctly! :D

However I'm having trouble with Pin9 - Reset - OC3
In the wizard there is no option for just "RESET" So I selected "DriveResetOut" is this the same thing? Also how do I test this on the VCP (I'm not sure what this actually does) :?

Also for Pin 16 - Spindle OK - Input 5
I know this is some sort of safety fault setting but exactly what triggers the OK/Fault state? Should the input type be NO or NC in my situation?
I've tried both just for the sake of testing. With input type set to NC Triggers a fault on start up. With input type set to NO, everything is clear on start up (Keep in mind I have not turned power on to my VFD, Drivers, Motor, or Spindle at this time if that has any effect)
Connect a 1.5V or 3V or 9V battery to those VFD terminals. Terminal 1(negative/COM) and Terminal 2 (positive) then turn on the output. If the spindle motor runs when the battery is connected and stops when disconnected, you can connect those terminals to Acorn.
I am still waiting to do this test, trying to make sure everything checks out okay first!
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Ouch, you made my head hurt.... :roll:
Your line diagram looks correct...from what I could make out of it. :shock:

I would not use the enable circuit, if you did, it should be routed through the Estop relay.

The FAULT output is exactly that. If the VFD experiences a fault it will drive the input 5 as you have it. Most drives have NO or NC contacts depedant on what the normal state of the drive is. They should be DRY contacts, so one contact to Acorn COM and the other to input 5

I assume you are also using the Generic VFD schematic provided in the Acorn schematic package as a guide?
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
muibubbles

Post by muibubbles »

Haha, yes as I was drawing it I realized how shaky my hand is. :shock:

I will remove the "Enable" circuit. Is this just another safety feature? I assume it is just a second layer of safety since you recommended it to be tied into a E-Stop relay? I did this according to your prior recommendation, is RESET and ENABLE the same in this situation?
Program OC6 to RESET (Connect the Common of the relay 6 to VFD 24VDC, connect the NO terminal of the relay to VFD Terminal 9)
Exactly what is the VFD Fault indicating? It seems as if the the "spindle OK" is detecting it's own circuit and not picking up any other communication... Therefore in my mind, the way I'm understanding it: Pin 16 "Spindle OK" to input 5, is only detecting if this circuit is working. IF there is something wrong with this circuit, it will throw a fault. BUT what I don't understand is how this circuit effect anything else... IE. What is the difference between Running the "spindle OK" circuit vs not running it all (from previous posts it sounds like this is optional to use)

I started out using the Generic VFD schematic and then posted this thread for confirmation if I was wiring it correctly. Then it transitioned to how you recommended to wire it in the previous 2-3 post back! :)
martyscncgarage

If your VFD faults the control will see the input and ALL stop.
I'm not telling you to not use the enable circuit on the VFD. It seems if you want to use it, go through the fault relay 1 normally open contacts so when the control is on line it close the contacts an enables your VFD. I'll be honest it's the first time I have personally heard of this feature on a VFD. I'm suggesting for the time being for testing, don't use this feature, diable it or jumper it to manually enable it until you do your testing and get the vfd running.

At then end of the day, the ball is in your court and you do what you need to do with your project.
Advice given here by me or anyone is just that advice suggestions to point you in the right direction.

Good luck with your "adventure"
Marty
Mesa, AZ
muibubbles

Post by muibubbles »

Currently I can operate my spindle manually through the VFD but I am struggling to control it with acorn. Given this VFD has a lot of options and parameters to choose from I was hoping someone can assist me and determine which parameter setting would be best fit for the Acorn. I believe Setting A1.A2 is what I want to use but would like some confirmation...

Another difficulty I've come across is parameter 16. I can't figure out what Acorn's range output is so I don't know which range to select. Can someone point me in the right direct to obtain this info?

Resources:
Commander SE User Manual: http://www.microcontechnologies.com/fil ... E/user.pdf
Commander SE Advanced User Manual: http://www.onxcontrol.com/files/CommSE%20AUG%20iss4.pdf
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Your A2 (current input) on the vfd isn't used with Acorn's 0-10v analog output, yes? That's for a different completely different type of controller spindle output signal. More knowlegeable fellers will chime in but I'm pretty sure you ignore all ref to that type of signal. You'll be working with A1...(I think :oops: )
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
martyscncgarage

You need to find the parameter setting that allows 0-10VDC analog input.

If it was me, I would call the VFD manufacturer's tech support. That seems to be a complex drive. Why take a chance?

My "guess" is A1.A2
Do NOT use or change parameter 16 (leave it to its default)

Marty
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage

DICKEYBIRD wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:39 am Your A2 (current input) on the vfd isn't used with Acorn's 0-10v analog output, yes? That's for a different completely different type of controller spindle output signal. More knowlegeable fellers will chime in but I'm pretty sure you ignore all ref to that type of signal. You'll be working with A1...(I think :oops: )
I tend to agree with you Milton....
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

Not exactly sure why you would set parameter 5 to A1.A2. Do you have a "remote speed reference input" that is wired into A2? If not, you would set parameter 5 to A1.Pr and not worry about parameter 16 as Marty and Milton suggested because the ACORN does send out a current signal but rather a 0-10VDC analog voltage.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..