Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Help needed with PM-940m CNC VS conversion to the Acorn Controller

Post by pburgh »

Hello All,
This is my first post on this forum. I previously purchased an Acorn board intending the conversion of a non-CNC PM-940 mill. However, I just purchased a PM-940m CNC VS mill already setup. It comes with an nMotion controller geared for Mach 3. It also uses LeadShine drives and steppers and uses a Delta VFD for the spindle.
Althought i have some info for the mill, some of the info is lacking and has some poor Chinese translations. I've decided to change to the Acorn board and after lookng at the Acorn schematic for the LeadShine Drives i'm hoping to get some questions answered to make this a painless process. I've attached 2 PDF files to the post. One is the schematilc that came with the mill. The other is the "manual" for the nMotion controller. The manual is lacking in info. I've also posted some pics of some of the components. Here are some of the questions i have, if there is anything else i should consider, i'd be grateful for the help:
1. I believe i have to get a 5v power supply. i don't see where the LeadShine drives are getting the 5v feed. There is a 5v terminal on the controller, but i'm not sure if it's providing it.
2. On the DMA860H step drive as it is setup on the nMotion card there are leads for Dir- and Pul- but none for ENA- as shown on the Acorn schematic. Will i have to add that lead to the Acorn setup, and will it have to be part of a multi-conductor shielded cable or can i just add a separate lead?
3. I don't have the manual for the VFD. it didn't come with one. If anyone can give some insight as to how i have to reconfigure that i'd appreciate it.
4. The nMotion controller is the Main Board Wiring Diagram on the Schematic. This board has 16 inputs, so it makes it inconvenient for the limit switches to connect the same way on the Acorn since there are 6 inputs used. Should i follow the suggested way to handle extra limits as shown on the Acorn LeadShine schematic?
5. Any other advise or suggestions are welcome.
Thank you,
Doug
Attachments
Delta VFD
Delta VFD
nMotion Contoller first pic
nMotion Contoller first pic
nMotion Controller second pic
nMotion Controller second pic
DMA860H Drive
DMA860H Drive
PM-940CNC-Schematics.pdf
(1.22 MiB) Downloaded 197 times
nMotionV5.0UserManual.pdf
(6.4 MiB) Downloaded 170 times
pburgh
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Re: Help needed with PM-940m CNC VS conversion to the Acorn Controller

Post by pburgh »

Here is the Acorn Schematic that i'm referring to:
Attachments
S14851-ACORN CONNECTIONS TO LEADSHINE DM SERIES DRIVE.pdf
(62.26 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

looks straight forward. pull out the nmotion box and replace it with acorn. :D
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
pburgh

Post by pburgh »

I wish... I agree a lot of it is straight forward, but I want to be sure that I don't fry anything. I have to be sure I don't upset the big boss (my wife) by not making any costly mistakes. ;)
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

ok..the Acorn schematics and the ones you provided have all the info you need.
Before you begin to wire things up, I suggest you create a schematic (you can start the Acorn Leadshine ) specifically for your system and post it here on the forum. Then we all can see how you intend to wire up the system and we all can comment.
In the meantime Bench test your acorn following the videos on this page. http://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy ... guide.html
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
762x51
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC56DD75-0605170063 , 985DAD4295CF-0928170127 , 38D2694E4703-1222170401

Post by 762x51 »

I made a quick drawing that should help you get started. Do check all of the wire numbers to make sure I got them right.
Like I said, this was a really quick drawing and there may be an error or two in the wire numbers.
Hope this helps.

Orin

martyscncgarage
CNC12: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Orin gave you a nice jump start with a nicely done schematic to get you going....just need to dive in. Do you have basic electrical/electronic skills?

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
pburgh

Post by pburgh »

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'll start to dig into this tomorrow. I still have a question about the ENA- conductor on the Drive. Do I need to add that conductor to a shielded multiconductor cable or can I just add an independent conductor?

Marty to answer your question. In another life I was a construction electrician. That was over 20 years ago. A work related injury pushed me in another direction. I now work in the computer field as a system administrator, but in a limited fashion I have taken an interest in all of the technology available to the fabrication industry and like to noodle around in my garage with help from friends and my wife. It's been a long time since I''ve had to troubleshoot motor control circuits. Some things are the same but many things have changed for the better. I'm probably overly cautious due to my background and my general nature. I truly do appreciate all that you guys do and thanks for sharing your knowledge and time. it is a very interesting time we live in to do some really cool things.

Regards,
Doug
martyscncgarage
CNC12: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

pburgh wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:01 pm Hey Guys,
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'll start to dig into this tomorrow. I still have a question about the ENA- conductor on the Drive. Do I need to add that conductor to a shielded multiconductor cable or can I just add an independent conductor?

Marty to answer your question. In another life I was a construction electrician. That was over 20 years ago. A work related injury pushed me in another direction. I now work in the computer field as a system administrator, but in a limited fashion I have taken an interest in all of the technology available to the fabrication industry and like to noodle around in my garage with help from friends and my wife. It's been a long time since I''ve had to troubleshoot motor control circuits. Some things are the same but many things have changed for the better. I'm probably overly cautious due to my background and my general nature. I truly do appreciate all that you guys do and thanks for sharing your knowledge and time. it is a very interesting time we live in to do some really cool things.

Regards,
Doug
Well, its better if you used shielded cable, but give the single conductor a go. Electrician? You should be quite capable to make this conversion.

You will find its worth the effort. Remember, you need a +24VDC power supply AND a +5VDC power supply, it looks like the nMotion uses both so they are there?
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
pburgh

Post by pburgh »

Yes, i don't have an issue with the conversion. I just want to move cautiously and confirm that i'm going down the right path. You all have more experience with these newer technologies than i do, so i value your opinions. Actually, i was going to do the conversion from a Non-CNC model. But it would have been a lot more work. And i'm not in the best position to do that. So i opted for the turnkey instead.

The 24v power is there, but the 5v is coming from the nMotion controller as far as i can tell. Some of the labels on the equipment is in Chinese, so i may have to do some testing. I think i'll have to add a Meanwell 5v PS. I'd like to switch to DMM servos an drives where i noticed on the schematic that they use 24v. But that's for a later time. i'll ride with the LeadShine for now, unless they turn out to be not so good. I'm sure i'll have some questions on the VFD as i work through this. Good times....

Thanks again,