Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Help needed with PM-940m CNC VS conversion to the Acorn Controller

Post by martyscncgarage »

pburgh wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:28 pm Yes, i don't have an issue with the conversion. I just want to move cautiously and confirm that i'm going down the right path. You all have more experience with these newer technologies than i do, so i value your opinions. Actually, i was going to do the conversion from a Non-CNC model. But it would have been a lot more work. And i'm not in the best position to do that. So i opted for the turnkey instead.

The 24v power is there, but the 5v is coming from the nMotion controller as far as i can tell. Some of the labels on the equipment is in Chinese, so i may have to do some testing. I think i'll have to add a Meanwell 5v PS. I'd like to switch to DMM servos an drives where i noticed on the schematic that they use 24v. But that's for a later time. i'll ride with the LeadShine for now, unless they turn out to be not so good. I'm sure i'll have some questions on the VFD as i work through this. Good times....

Thanks again,
NOTE the current connections on the VFD. The VFD is likely already programmed (half the battle). Let us know what connections are made and a copy of the manual. Take a picture of its control terminal block.

Strongly suggest just getting the meanwell dual voltage output power supply:
https://www.jameco.com/z/RD-35B-MEAN-WE ... 23380.html

Moving cautiously and asking questions first is a good strategy!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
pburgh
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by pburgh »

Thanks Marty for the suggestion. That's the one i'll get.
Regards,
Doug
cut2cut
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D26950ABAB-1221170383

Post by cut2cut »

I have the same Precision Mathews PM940-CNC mill so this thread is very helpful to me too.

Attached is the Quickstart Manual for the Delta VFD, the full VFD manual, and also the parameter settings manual just to be thorough.

I also have a picture of my Delta VFD from the same model PM940-cnc I could share.... However, sadly the manufacturer of the mill did some running changes to the wire numbers. Luckily they updated the manuals schematic so both of our manuals match our particular mills ( mine was from January of 2017 ). So I don't want to confuse things at all , so I won't post my wiring block from my VFD as the numbers differ a little.

btw, I have already moved away from the nMotion / Mach3 controller that came with the mill to LinuxCNC with the Mesa 7i76e controller. Its worked much better than the nMotion but in a few areas it has not been a total success, which is why I'm excited to transition to the Acorn ( arriving tomorrow night ). I have an appropriate computer, Windows 10 installed and ready to go with a touch screen. T-minus .....

Cheers,

Jake
Attachments
DELTA_IA-MDS_VFD-E_UM_EN_20160307.pdf
(9.24 MiB) Downloaded 144 times
VFD-E quick start.pdf
(3.2 MiB) Downloaded 126 times
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

I see that no one has responded to 1 of your questions but if your drive doesn't need the ENA signal, which based on the schematic and manual that you provides it doesn't, then you do not have to worry about that connection. The ENA signal is an Enable signal. Some drives need that signal which tells the drive that it's about to be commanded to move while other drives do not use that signal. Since your drive doesn't have that signal, you don't have to worry about it.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
Commotion

Post by Commotion »

My understanding of the leadshine drives is the ena is inverse of others. It is normally active unless it gets a signal to disable it. When u select the leadshine dm drives in the quick setup thing it inverts the ena in the axis tab. It also suggests that on the schematic too.
pburgh

Post by pburgh »

Thanks for the responses for the ENA question guys. I appreciate your input. Jake, also, thanks for posting the variation in your VFD setup. Hopefully, we'll get some feedback on how this meshes in with the Acorn board.
Regards,
Doug
pburgh

Post by pburgh »

Hey Everyone,
I've made progress on the conversion. I had to rewire the limits so that they were NC instead of NO. And I had to replace the Estop and added a Jog switch. I can Jog the Axes, but they are going in the wrong direction so i'll have to fix that. But I have another issue that is more pressing. When I connect the Delta VFD to the Acorn, the Acorn will not boot. When I remove the VFD connections from the Acorn, it works fine. I'm posting 3 pics of the connections between the Acorn and the VFD. Also in a post above this one, Jake has posted the .pdf file for the Delta VFD. I have OC4, OC5 Com, AN_GND and AN_Out connected to the VFD. Please let me know your thoughts on what needs to be done to get the VFD functioning. Thanks for your help.
Regards Doug
Attachments
IMG_0735.JPG
IMG_0738.JPG
IMG_0736.JPG
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

pburgh wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:30 pm Hey Everyone,
I've made progress on the conversion. I had to rewire the limits so that they were NC instead of NO. And I had to replace the Estop and added a Jog switch. I can Jog the Axes, but they are going in the wrong direction so i'll have to fix that. But I have another issue that is more pressing. When I connect the Delta VFD to the Acorn, the Acorn will not boot. When I remove the VFD connections from the Acorn, it works fine. I'm posting 3 pics of the connections between the Acorn and the VFD. Also in a post above this one, Jake has posted the .pdf file for the Delta VFD. I have OC4, OC5 Com, AN_GND and AN_Out connected to the VFD. Please let me know your thoughts on what needs to be done to get the VFD functioning. Thanks for your help.
Regards Doug
Doug, you can reverse motor directions in the wizard, TAB2
As for the VFD, that is curious. You say NOT BOOT, what do you mean, the led's on the Beaglebone do not come on as normal, OR the heartbeat light does not come on?

I think I see your problem, you should be on ACI 10V and ACM Common on the VFD. (AVI is used for a potentiomenter only). You can test by taking a 1.5 or 9VDC battery across these two terminals. That should fire up your motor

Oh and please, put black to common and red to 10V on both ends.
That one is driving me nuts! :mrgreen:

Marty
Mesa, AZ
pburgh

Post by pburgh »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:08 am
Doug, you can reverse motor directions in the wizard, TAB2
As for the VFD, that is curious. You say NOT BOOT, what do you mean, the led's on the Beaglebone do not come on as normal, OR the heartbeat light does not come on?

I think I see your problem, you should be on ACI 10V and ACM Common on the VFD. (AVI is used for a potentiomenter only). You can test by taking a 1.5 or 9VDC battery across these two terminals. That should fire up your motor

Oh and please, put black to common and red to 10V on both ends.
That one is driving me nuts! :mrgreen:

Marty
Marty,
Thanks so much for the reply and suggestions. Sorry for not being more clear on the booting. The leds and the heartbeat do not come on, so there is no communication back to the pc. Once I remove the 5 wires to the VFD it boots normally. I have tried removing 79 and 81 from the Acorn and leave OC4, OC5 and Com terminated and it still won't boot.
79 and 81 are set how they were wired originally with the nMotion board. With the other 3 wires they were using 2 relays to control the reverse and forward of the spindle. I eliminated them and went directly to the Acorn from the VFD. Is there something else that needs to be changed with the VFD?

I agree with you and i'll switch the wire colors on these so that black is common and red is 10v. Unfortunately, they use red for the common throughout this setup. One of the downsides of a Chinese mill I guess. If it wasn't so much work, I would rewire the whole cabinet.

Thanks again,
Doug
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Doug, I edited my post:

Please test the VFD ACI and ACM with a battery. Observe polarity of course.... See if VFD starts motor...

With VFD disconnected you can use CNC12 to move the axis OK correct?
Mesa, AZ