Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Help needed with PM-940m CNC VS conversion to the Acorn Controller

Post by pburgh »

Marty,
I'm heading out to the garage shortly and i'll try what you suggested. You are correct, when the VFD is completely disconnected from the Acorn it boots and I can start CNC12 and move the axes. Although I still have to fix the jog direction. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks for the quick response.
Regards,
Doug
pburgh
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by pburgh »

Marty,
I connected ACI and ACM to a 9 volt battery with the polarity correct and nothing happened. I tried this with the other 3 leads disconnected from the Acorn and with them connected to the Acorn. Of course, when i connected the 3 leads to the Acorn it didn't boot. But i got nothing.
Thanks,
Doug
pburgh

Post by pburgh »

Marty,
Please take a look at the schematic below. This is from the VFD manual. Am i going to have to provide +24v to the VFD? I also included a pic on how this was setup with the relays and the nMotion card before i rewired it.
Attachments
VFDInfo.PNG
Before.PNG
rl49
CNC Control System Serial Number: K2019,K1110
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by rl49 »

Page 3-3 in DELTA_IA-MDS_VFD-E_UM_EN_20160307.pdf States test mode to apply power 0-10Vdc to AVI-DCM (as shown in figure 3-1)
pburgh

Post by pburgh »

Well I went back to the original wiring and added the relays back into the mix and now the Acorn boots. Have a few other things to check out and hopefully this thing will be working. I'd like to get it to run without the relays though if that's possible.

Doug
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

pburgh wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:45 am Marty,
I connected ACI and ACM to a 9 volt battery with the polarity correct and nothing happened. I tried this with the other 3 leads disconnected from the Acorn and with them connected to the Acorn. Of course, when i connected the 3 leads to the Acorn it didn't boot. But i got nothing.
Thanks,
Doug
Sorry, Sundays are usually family days (though I bend the rules if time permits ;) )....
Did you have a jumper on FWD too? The drive won't run without the FWD input jumpered AND the analog signal in.
Sorry, I may not have mentioned that. The Analog signal commands the desired speed. If you used a 9V battery, you should have gotten 90% of the speed out of the motor. The VFD won't do anything until the FWD or REV terminals are jumpered to DCM. You could use a jumper or a simple toggle switch between DCM and FWD or REV.

What do the "relays" do? They maybe the contacts that go from DCM to FWD and DCM to REV?

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
pburgh

Post by pburgh »

Hey Marty,
I totally understand. I appreciate your help.
That's exactly what the relays do. They provide the connection between M1 M2 and DCM. By the Acorn schematic I thought that going directly to M1, M2 and DCM would accomplish the same thing and eliminate the need for the relays. Is that not the case? But the behavior of the Acorn board not booting when I had it connected directly to the VFD never allowed that to happen. I need to understand more of how these 2 devices work together.
Thoughts?

Regards,
Doug
martyscncgarage

pburgh wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 am Hey Marty,
I totally understand. I appreciate your help.
That's exactly what the relays do. They provide the connection between M1 M2 and DCM. By the Acorn schematic I thought that going directly to M1, M2 and DCM would accomplish the same thing and eliminate the need for the relays. Is that not the case? But the behavior of the Acorn board not booting when I had it connected directly to the VFD never allowed that to happen. I need to understand more of how these 2 devices work together.
Thoughts?

Regards,
Doug
It appears then the VFD is sourcing the voltage for it's inputs and indeed that voltage tied to Acorn common may have been triggering Beaglebone's safety features preventing it from powering up.

Some VFDs behave this way. Another user had to do the very same thing using external relays. Not a terrible thing....

At least you are getting closer!
Mesa, AZ
pburgh

Post by pburgh »

Well, I finally got everything running. I put the relays back into play, but I was having trouble homing the mill. That's a story in itself. Let me tell you there is nothing like American technology. I want to thank you all for your support. Marty that's an excellent video on homing you provided, but then all of your videos are top notch. Now I have to learn the ins and outs of this thing. If I hit a roadblock, I know where to come for help. :D

Regards,
Doug
martyscncgarage

pburgh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:22 pm Well, I finally got everything running. I put the relays back into play, but I was having trouble homing the mill. That's a story in itself. Let me tell you there is nothing like American technology. I want to thank you all for your support. Marty that's an excellent video on homing you provided, but then all of your videos are top notch. Now I have to learn the ins and outs of this thing. If I hit a roadblock, I know where to come for help. :D

Regards,
Doug
You are Welcome Doug! Glad you are on your way!
Marty
Mesa, AZ