CNC12 unresponsive and ethernet communication error (check firewall)

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

ScotY
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

CNC12 unresponsive and ethernet communication error (check firewall)

Post by ScotY »

UPDATE/EDIT:
I now believe my problems described below in this thread are caused by the PC that I built. I have not yet figured out what the problem is, but am slowly working towards a solution with help from the guys here and also from a PC guy. When and if I find a definitive cause and solution, I will surely update this post with the answer. I do not believe it's a firewall setting issue or interference over the ethernet cable. If you are reading this thread, don't bother reading from the start unless you're really bored and want to read about my suffering along the way.
:lol:

I seem to be having issues with CNC12 and/or the VCP becoming unresponsive or completely locking up. I noticed this infrequently with Acorn #1 which is running a mill with Clearpath servos.

I spent the day installing Acorn #2 on the lathe which is running cheap Chinese steppers. I wired everything up using the Leadshine wiring diagram but am not using the drive okay inputs. This setup on the lathe has been giving me trouble all day. I got one ethernet communication error early on during initial setup but thought it was because I kept going between the Wizard and CNC12 as I made changes to the settings. Once it was mostly setup for initial testing, I noticed that the VCP would occasionally become unresponsive and jog inputs would be delayed. Sometimes, everything would work perfectly, and other times not. Sometimes, when things seemed normal, I would walk away and come back a little while later and the system would be unresponsive. Sometimes it would show the communication error, other times not.

I'm using a pass through shielded ethernet connector to go into the enclosure. I bypassed this with no improvement. I tried another brand new shielded ethernet cable direct to the PC with no improvement. I moved the 36v Chinese power supply that supplies the stepper motors away with no improvement. I then removed power from that power supply, also with no improvement. I then retested the mill setup and, it too, seems to be having a similar, if not identical problem.

So, I'm assuming this means I have some sort of PC issue since the problem is on both machines. It is a dedicated brand new PC I built for the Acorn and I set it up following along with the setup video. Can anyone give me some guidance on where to start? How far away does the ethernet cable need to be from AC lines? It is close to the power input to the PC as there's no real way for it not to be. I could post a report from the Acorn boards but I'm assuming it won't show anything pertinent.

Thanks, Scot
Last edited by ScotY on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: CNC12 unresponsive and ethernet communication error

Post by cnckeith »

drop back to bench test schematic. power off, remove all connections from the Acorn except 24 vdc and Ethernet cable provided in the kit straight connection from the Acorn board to the CNCPC. power cycle acorn, do you have heart beat?
if so, verify Windows10 firewall is turned off.
then run the wizard, choose bench the test radio button and press "write settings to CNC control configuration" , click yes then ok.
start CNC12
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CNC12: Yes

Post by Gary Campbell »

Scot...
I ran into the same issue. I was not using the "ENABLE" connections, are you?

To test for the same issue, remove the 5vdc common connection from the 24vdc commons and see if the acorn will establish ETH connection. If so try using the attached schematic, and connect to relay 1 or 2, (1 is shown) configured as "NoFaultOut", which will not supply 5vdc to the drives until connection is made and acorn has booted properly.
Attachments
Acorn to DM series Modified.pdf
(647.72 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Thanks for the help, Keith. I have it running in bench test mode now...it had been running for about an hour and it's still connected and working. The heartbeat is always there, haven't had issues with it not being there. Firewall is off. I have now reconnected everything (motors, limit switches, etc.) and it's running again but still in bench test mode. I'll wait a while and see if it stays connected.

Thanks also, Gary. I think you’re talking about the Drive OK function? I’m not using it, not even sure if my drivers have the option. I’ll have to dig up the Chinese manual. I have the Drive OK set to NO in the Wizard. I suppose I could change it to Unused.

So, I think you’re saying Acorn wouldn’t connect for you if the 5v common is wired in? Mine seems to connect okay, it just won’t stay connected or will freeze up and be totally unresponsive. It sometimes will actually lock up the whole PC. Even a ctrl-alt-del won’t do anything and I am forced to manually power down the PC.
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

So it was working fine in bench test mode, so I went back to my original settings using the Leadshine settings. Everything is still working correctly but I don't trust it. Not sure what to try now. Will test it again in the morning and see what it does.
762x51
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC56DD75-0605170063 , 985DAD4295CF-0928170127 , 38D2694E4703-1222170401

Post by 762x51 »

I had the same issues and found that windows had turned the firewall back on.
I turned it off and the Acorn is working fine.

Not sure what turned the firewall back on - Maybe someone can tell us how to lock it off.
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

762x51 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:27 am I had the same issues and found that windows had turned the firewall back on.
I turned it off and the Acorn is working fine.

Not sure what turned the firewall back on - Maybe someone can tell us how to lock it off.
Me too. I left the PC on a couple days with no activity on my part. When I powered up the Acorn for use later it would not connect. That's when I found that Windows had turned the firewall back on. My CNC PC is completely dedicated for that purpose only & it would be very nice to strangle all the automatic functions in Windows! I suspect "they" won't let that happen. :roll:
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

seems like this happens when windows does even a small update.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

cnckeith wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:00 am seems like this happens when windows does even a small update.
Probably that too but mine has no connection to internet at all unless there's some kind of feature that turns on the wireless connection in the wee hours of the morning & PC calls home. Who knows what all those "I Agree" checkboxes really mean. :(
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
762x51
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC56DD75-0605170063 , 985DAD4295CF-0928170127 , 38D2694E4703-1222170401

Re: CNC12 unresponsive and ethernet communication error (check firewall)

Post by 762x51 »

Mine has no connection to the internet either.