Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

4x8 CNC router table acorn compatability

Post by finerdetail »

Hi Everyone,
If this question has already been asked and answered please redirect me there.

I am building a 4x8 Cnc router table using cncrouterparts pro frame. I have been looking at using clearpath servos and just came across the acorn board and it looks really impressive. From what I can find for information on it everyone seems to be using the board on lathes and milling machines. Would I be using the board for something that it is not made to do? I am a cabinetmaker and need this machine for producing cabinet parts. So I need everything to be reliable and efficient.

Thanks for any input anyone has.
Dan
cncman172
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DAD429EE9-0926170118

Re: 4x8 CNC router table acorn compatability

Post by cncman172 »

Dan,
The Acorn will absolutely work with servos for a router table. I just converted a small table 24" x 24" using Panasonic AC servos, ground ballscrews and it is rock solid. I use a 3KW water cooled spindle.

Russ
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
CNC12: Yes

Post by Gary Campbell »

Dan...
I agree with Russ. I am going thru a number of the functions and features of the Acorn. I am receiving a great amount of assistance from the support crew. If you look over this thread: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1154 you will see that it looks like there will be some router specific enhancements coming in the future.

If you look under the hood you will find that all the function (and more) that a router guy would want is in the Acorn package, but is presented using terms familiar to machinists and mill operators. It looks like the terminology will change a bit to make router operators more familiar with those operations. Order one up and assist in the process! (I just ordered my 3rd)
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
cncman172
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DAD429EE9-0926170118

Post by cncman172 »

Dan,
I agree with Gary the Acorn was originally setup to support a mill. The default situation assumes you have a tool change or at least tools in tool holders so you can set tool length prior to starting your gcode. The way you set your G54 location is a little cumbersome compared to most CNC router software solutions, however Centroid is going to make changes to address the router table crowd. The way you manually change tools is also different than what you will find for router table solutions, but it does work fine. After you do this a few times you go into automatic mode.

So what do you like about the Centroid software? Actually, the part that makes their solution so good is that the machine does exactly what you command the machine to do with gcode. If you have used Mach3 like many over the years, it would sometimes go off and do something totally unexpected. While for hobby software it actually did a pretty good job, with the Centroid solution it actually is more professional. They use this software on their own CNC machines that they sell, as well as Centroid controls.

This is absolutely worth investing some time and I am pretty sure you will be happy with the results. The Centroid team is helping many DIY people working on converting their machines. You will also get help from others doing the same things as we all learn things together.

Russ
finerdetail
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by finerdetail »

Sounds like a the centroid system is a pretty solid option. Right now I am definitely leaning towards using it.
I guess I will have to learn a bit of milling terminology in the beginning until an alternate digital control panel is available.

As long as i can output cut files from something like vcarve and the acorn can handle it and cut what I designed it should work well. I have definitely had issues with controllers with something like shopbot which runs of pc and every once in a while it just goes wacky. Pretty sure there is a conflict with something else running in the background. That is one of the key benefits I see with the acorn. Along with the fact that the controller and breakout board are packaged together and already compatible, meaning I don't have to fight with compatability issues.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

we have a Router Specific VCP button labels in the works for Acorn, they are scheduled to be in v4.12 release..
while a router specific VCP button labels it makes it nice for a router, its not necessary the mill control panel and mill CNC software interface has been used on routers for years. many cnc router upgrades have been performed on many different types of routers over the years.
One of the big features of the Centroid for routers users is the CNC12 G code smoothing feature, (a standard feature) especially for those who are running cad/cam generated tool paths. Here is a photo of a huge CNC router being run by Acorn CNC12 Mill software running short vector large g code files smoothly and fast.
acorn_surfboard_machine.jpg
20171214_052029.jpg
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

finerdetail wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:51 pm Sounds like a the centroid system is a pretty solid option. Right now I am definitely leaning towards using it.
I guess I will have to learn a bit of milling terminology in the beginning until an alternate digital control panel is available.

As long as i can output cut files from something like vcarve and the acorn can handle it and cut what I designed it should work well. I have definitely had issues with controllers with something like shopbot which runs of pc and every once in a while it just goes wacky. Pretty sure there is a conflict with something else running in the background. That is one of the key benefits I see with the acorn. Along with the fact that the controller and breakout board are packaged together and already compatible, meaning I don't have to fight with compatability issues.
Lean? Really? :D
Buy! I beleive Vcarve has a post processor for Centroid or so I am told.....

The BIGGEST plus is the hardware AND software come from the same manufacturer who have been doing Industrial CNC control for over 30 years.
They have a HUGE vested interest in making sure things run correctly....now Students, DIY, OEMs get those benefits.

Swap it over and post pictures and video!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Vectric has had a Centroid inch and mm post since the beginning. They also directly import Centroid Digitizing Data.

here are some wood router projects (that i made for friends) that were CNC routed with my Home Built CNC Router equipped with a Centroid CNC control and Vcarve Pro created the G code.
DSC00282.jpg
DSC09932.JPG
DSC00241.jpg
DSC00071.JPG
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
finerdetail
Acorn CNC Controller: No

Post by finerdetail »

I bit the bullet and ordered the acorn and there pro software for christmas.

Can't wait to see how it works out.
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099

Post by frijoli »

finerdetail wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:10 pm I bit the bullet and ordered the acorn and there pro software for christmas.

Can't wait to see how it works out.
Me either!!
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/