Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Recommended Lathe X & Z Axis Inches/Minute

Post by martyscncgarage »

Yep, looks like the way Dan did it on his.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
762x51
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC56DD75-0605170063 , 985DAD4295CF-0928170127 , 38D2694E4703-1222170401
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by 762x51 »

I had completed the X Axis and basic Z Axis about 2 months ago and it's neat that Dan and I had come up with the same or very similar solutions.

I had looked into several ways to do the conversion and had finally decided that this way was the simplest way to do it.
The ratio will be the same as the Z Axis - 3.6:1 and using the same pulleys on both axis.

The next part of the project will be to send files to some machine shops to get quotes on making the motor mounting plates.
The plates can be made from 6061 aluminum which should be OK for this application.
If there is someone on the forum that would like to give me a quote then please PM me.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

762x51 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:51 pm I had completed the X Axis and basic Z Axis about 2 months ago and it's neat that Dan and I had come up with the same or very similar solutions.

I had looked into several ways to do the conversion and had finally decided that this way was the simplest way to do it.
The ratio will be the same as the Z Axis - 3.6:1 and using the same pulleys on both axis.

The next part of the project will be to send files to some machine shops to get quotes on making the motor mounting plates.
The plates can be made from 6061 aluminum which should be OK for this application.
If there is someone on the forum that would like to give me a quote then please PM me.
Send me the CAD (.dxf) files and we'll see what we can do...I have a friend that does this type of work on his Milltronics mill. IF I have time and can get the code, I can run them. I'll send them to him and see what kind of number he can get you.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
762x51
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC56DD75-0605170063 , 985DAD4295CF-0928170127 , 38D2694E4703-1222170401

Post by 762x51 »

Hi Marty,

I was looking over some of the dimensions and realized that I need to do some "clean-up" so someone making the parts can use standard imperial dimension tools. As I'm sure you know, you have to flip back and forth between metric and imperial when fitting something to a metric based assembly. The most important are the X&Y locations of holes but the sizes can be in imperial not metric. This will be the major changes that I need to make.

I can send you a DXF, STEP, or IGES file. Which would you prefer? STEP or IGES would be simple to import into a CAM program. I'm trying to learn Fusion 360 so I'm going to try to have it produce G-code and output it as a Centroid file.

Orin
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by frijoli »

762x51 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:11 pm Hi Marty,

I was looking over some of the dimensions and realized that I need to do some "clean-up" so someone making the parts can use standard imperial dimension tools. As I'm sure you know, you have to flip back and forth between metric and imperial when fitting something to a metric based assembly. The most important are the X&Y locations of holes but the sizes can be in imperial not metric. This will be the major changes that I need to make.

I can send you a DXF, STEP, or IGES file. Which would you prefer? STEP or IGES would be simple to import into a CAM program. I'm trying to learn Fusion 360 so I'm going to try to have it produce G-code and output it as a Centroid file.

Orin
Fusion does a great job for milling. Their lathe stuff not so much.
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
martyscncgarage

frijoli wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Orin
Seems like lathes are the step children.....it does support lathe at some level though doesn't it?
Maybe they'll come around and improve it more.
Mesa, AZ
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by frijoli »

martyscncgarage wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:33 pm
frijoli wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Orin
Seems like lathes are the step children.....it does support lathe at some level though doesn't it?
Maybe they'll come around and improve it more.
It is supported. It's not very intuitive. If you're doing simple turning it works very well, but the lack of a good post processor makes it difficult to do complex geometry. They are working on it!
My post processor works great for Facing, profile OD turning and ID turning, but I can't drill a hole to save my life! lol

Clay
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
martyscncgarage

We'll, that's new territory for me, so I'm counting you 😁 Clay, so are the rest of the lathe guys!
My plan was to learn to use Intercon as much as possible.
Mesa, AZ
762x51

Post by 762x51 »

I've gotten off to a fairly good start with Fusion 360. Here is a link to where I got to this evening.
The model was exported from Alibre and imported into Fusion 360.

This is a video of the X Axis motor mount being simulated in Fusion 360.

https://youtu.be/zrLzzv-MWAg
martyscncgarage

762x51 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:22 pm I've gotten off to a fairly good start with Fusion 360. Here is a link to where I got to this evening.
The model was exported from Alibre and imported into Fusion 360.

This is a video of the X Axis motor mount being simulated in Fusion 360.

https://youtu.be/zrLzzv-MWAg
Very nice work Orin. I hope I can get there some day! :D
You should create your own build thread showing all of this.
Marty
Mesa, AZ