Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Ethernet switch?

Post by ScotY »

Is there some sort of switch I can use so I can have my mill and lathe connected to one PC? While I am lazy, the reason for the question is I would prefer not to have to repeatedly switch the Ethernet cable between the two machines as I’d imagine over time it wouldn’t be good for the connectors.
cncman172
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DAD429EE9-0926170118

Re: Ethernet switch?

Post by cncman172 »

Scott

When the Acorn gets configured it sets a static IP address on the computer. The computer can only connect to that IP address unless you have more than one Ethernet port. I would think you could add another Ethernet card and configure the Lathe on the second card with a different static IP address and the switch idea would work. When you start Centroid for mill it would use that static IP and starting Centroid lathe would use the second static IP

Russ
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Ooooh, that sounds a little complicated for me. :lol: I’m using a mini PC (it’s a Mini-STX form factor) and it’s tiny so not sure I can add an Ethernet card, if one even exists. Is that the only way?
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Hmmm...well, I'm having trouble finding a way to add a second ethernet port to my mini PC. I suspect it might not be possible. It's really tiny (I think a little bigger than a NUC) and I don't even know if there's enough physical space. I've asked around but have yet to come up with anything. Is there no other way to connect 2 Acorns to one PC?
cncman172
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DAD429EE9-0926170118

Post by cncman172 »

ScotY,
Depends if you have some USB open ports you can use one of these type Ethernet units and get a second port.
Russ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M77HLII/re ... 8072489859
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Oh, I do have USB ports...that's a great suggestion! I assume it will work and be relatively easy to set up? I do tend to struggle with PC stuff at times. :lol:
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

None of that will work because the Centroid software requires an Ethernet adapter to have the following IP address, 10.168.41.1. Since you cannot have multiple Ethernet adapters with the same IP address, you will not be able to install different ACORN boards to different Ethernet ports. The only viable options are to do what you are currently doing and manually moving the Ethernet cable from one system to the other or having individual PCs dedicated for each system.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Okay, while that is unfortunate, thanks for saving me the money and grief! I guess I’ll just install a socket of some sort so if the Ethernet jack or cable ever wears out, I can just replace it, i.e. have a sacrificial part rather than wear out the Acorn or PC’s ports.
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

I just thought of something that can be done but I highly DO NOT recommend doing this as Centroid always recommends having a direct Ethernet connection between the PC and Centroid hardware and I may be shot just for saying it. You could have the Ethernet cable going to one of those old DB9 switch boxes. It would have the standard RJ45 connection on one side and the DB9 connector on the other side. The outputs of that box would go to the individual ACORN boards. This way, you could switch which ACORN actually gets the signals. As I stated before, I DO NOT recommend this approach as the integrity of the signals will come into question but it is an economical solution and approach to your scenario.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

I’ll look into that...I’ve never seen one of those before. Thanks for sticking your neck out there, though! :shock:

What about a simple Ethernet splitter? I think it’s just a “Y” type device. Provided I only had one Acorn powered up at a time, would that work?
Attachments
AF0D4B7A-5498-4A6C-8717-339492906DA3.png