Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Mach/Smoothstepper to Acorn

Post by ScotY »

My mini lathe is set up with a Ethernet Smoothstepper running Mach3. The Smoothstepper has a DB25 out which goes to a breakout board and then the stepper drivers. The breakout board is powered by 5v. Can I just plug the Acorn into the breakout board using a parallel cable? Can it be that simple?
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Mach/Smoothstepper to Acorn

Post by martyscncgarage »

ScotY wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:24 am My mini lathe is set up with a Ethernet Smoothstepper running Mach3. The Smoothstepper has a DB25 out which goes to a breakout board and then the stepper drivers. The breakout board is powered by 5v. Can I just plug the Acorn into the breakout board using a parallel cable? Can it be that simple?
What stepper drivers to you currently use? What break out board do you use? Currently it depends on whether or not the pin outs match the G540 pin inputs. If so then yes, its possible.

Post pictures of your setup, post a manual or link to the manual of your break out board.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Fastest1

Post by Fastest1 »

It should be a simple swap physically. However it will be an unfamiliar system if coming from Mach. Though different in many ways it seems much more professional. I am in no way displeased with my change to the acorn. I have run SS/USB, SS/Ethernet and via PP, this is the best so far and has more potential in many ways.
1st Acorn project. G0704/BDTools/Hoss Conversion De"maching"
Leadshine MX 3660
Repurposed above Acorn (#194) and an Ethernet 1616 to a UMC-10 with an 8 position tool changer.
CNC12 Pro/Digitizing ver 4.64 (1/31/2022)
diycncscott

Post by diycncscott »

Is your intent just to save time by eliminating the need to wire the drives and I/O directly to the Acorn board or do hope to accomplish something else?

If it's just to save time, I sure you'll save more time in the long run by wiring it now rather than later. If you have any problems now or in the future you'll have to re-wire anyway before it can be troubleshooted.

Also - More connections = More likely to have problems.
cncman172
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DAD429EE9-0926170118

Post by cncman172 »

The Acorn will work perfect for your application. A couple of things you need to check prior to the jump.

1) The Ethernet Smooth Stepper (ESS) has the equivalent of three parallel ports for I/O. You need to verify if you are using all this I/O or if the parts you require will fit the Acorn.

The Acorn has (8) inputs and (8) outputs, but it also has (4) axis outputs. The DB25 connector on the Acorn is one parallel port equivalent.

The software is rock solid it is a very stable system. It also supports a touch screen monitor which is really nice.

Russ
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

diycncscott wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:57 am Is your intent just to save time by eliminating the need to wire the drives and I/O directly to the Acorn board or do hope to accomplish something else?

If it's just to save time, I sure you'll save more time in the long run by wiring it now rather than later. If you have any problems now or in the future you'll have to re-wire anyway before it can be troubleshooted.

Also - More connections = More likely to have problems.
Yes, saving time so I can just see it work is my intent. :D I have no problems rewiring later but I am unclear on which wiring diagram I should use. I’ll post some info for the stuff I’m using in a few.
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Stepper drivers - Longs Motor DM542A
Breakout board - unknown Chinese
Attachments
DM542A wiring diagram.pdf
(161.7 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
DM542A manual English.pdf
(474.87 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
DM542-3 wiring diagram.pdf
(191.92 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
breakoutboard.jpg
Breakout board manual.pdf
(151.04 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Your shortcuts might bite you in the hand end.
I'm with DiyScott. Hunker down and terminate on Acorn.
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

As I mentioned, I am not clear on how to wire it to the Acorn board. I would assume the DB25 outputs are somewhat standardized? The issue is the stepper drivers need 5v on the step/direction, not the 24v Acorn uses. So, I'm not confident on how to wire this up. The stepper driver manual mentions using resistors inline if using a 24v PS. I'd prefer not to do this as it introduces another connection/failure point.

Can I use the Leadshine wiring diagram? It shows 5v being sent to the stepper drivers. My stepper driver manual mentions something about open collector or PNP. Honestly, I don't understand what that means.
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by frijoli »

ScotY wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:32 pm As I mentioned, I am not clear on how to wire it to the Acorn board. I would assume the DB25 outputs are somewhat standardized? The issue is the stepper drivers need 5v on the step/direction, not the 24v Acorn uses. So, I'm not confident on how to wire this up. The stepper driver manual mentions using resistors inline if using a 24v PS. I'd prefer not to do this as it introduces another connection/failure point.

Can I use the Leadshine wiring diagram? It shows 5v being sent to the stepper drivers. My stepper driver manual mentions something about open collector or PNP. Honestly, I don't understand what that means.
DB25 is only a connector designation.
There are standard for RS232 and such but that is not related to your wiring. My suggestion is to lay it out on paper one step at a time and then confirm on here before you turn the power on.
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/