Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C8FD19C6D47A-1109170222
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Fried VFD and Acorn

Post by Mmedeiros89 »

Hey everyone. So this is a little embarrassing, but I somehow managed to fry my VFD, and Acorn. I have never wired up a VFD to a breakout board before. I thought I had done it properly, but obviously not. Th acorn was working perfectly before i tried hooking up the VFD to it. I had the acorn powered on, and as soon as I plugged in the 220 to the VDF, pop went the acorn and vfd :cry: . The strange thing is the acorn still moves my servos, go figure. Needless to say, i will be replacing both the acorn, and VFD, but obviously do not want to make the same stupid mistake twice. I've attached some images of the VFD, burnt out Acorn, and wiring diagram used. Hopefully I attached them correctly. Now, in the manual for the VFD, X1 is Forward run, X2 is Reverse Run, and X3 is stop. Com is obviously Com, and 10V is 10V positive i believe. Then there is ground to the left of 10V. I hooked the 10V and GND to the analog outputs on the Acorn, X1 to OC4, X2 to OC5, X3 to OC6, and COM to COM next to OC6. I did not hook up anything else other than that, and the power obviously. I had tested the VFD by itself prior to connecting it to the Acorn, and that worked by itself as well. I'm obviously still a beginner when it comes to this DIY cnc stuff, but enjoy doing it myself, that way, i know what to look for if anything goes wrong. If someone could help me figure out what i did wrong, it would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help everyone.
Attachments
4.png
3.png
2.png
IMG_20171208_182429119.png
S14814-ACORN CONNECTIONS TO GENERIC VFD.pdf
(62.72 KiB) Downloaded 142 times
firstus lasten
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC11: No

Re: Fried VFD and Acorn

Post by firstus lasten »

Hello
I read about your misery. Tell me, did you check how the drive is setup with respect to the logic bus? The outs are npn on acorn. There's a bus bar that has to be in the correct position....Or pooof! I know about pooof.
Tim
Mmedeiros89

Post by Mmedeiros89 »

Sorry for being a noob, but I'm unfamiliar with what a bus bar and logic bus are :(. Googled it, but i don't know what to look for in my situation
firstus lasten

Post by firstus lasten »

The picture in the forum of your drive is not showing any thing clearly enough, but the manual should speak about interfaceing the PLC of outside devices which usually leads to the bus bar reconfiguration. Some but not all. Your problem sounds like a high ampere draw dead short.
Firstus
Mmedeiros89

Post by Mmedeiros89 »

I'll look through the manual to see if I can find anything. It's a pretty rough translated manual, but I'll do my best to try and figure it out. Thank you so much for your help. I hate not being able to figure out a problem. This was the last thing I had to do to finish my pm-30mv build, so it's quite frustrating, but at least you gave me a starting point to figure it out. Thank you
Mmedeiros89

Post by Mmedeiros89 »

Welp, after looking through the manual, I may have found what I did wrong. The manual states the 10v terminal is analog reference voltage, and AI1 is the analog input terminal. I did not notice that :oops: Don't know if you can see it in the picture, but there are two terminals the manufacturer covered in silicone, one of which, is AI1, which my VFD does not have, of course. I believe this was the problem, correct me if I'm wrong. There wasn't anything I could find on PLC or Bus
firstus lasten

Post by firstus lasten »

looks like that is probably what caused your problem. it would be great if I could see the manual on the net. makers name and model might help. I don't know forums very well, as this is my first time on one, but some how to contact via email or phone would work better than this phones key board. l live in Washington state and would be happy to try to help you out.
firstus
762x51
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC56DD75-0605170063 , 985DAD4295CF-0928170127 , 38D2694E4703-1222170401

Post by 762x51 »

Would you let us know the make and model # of the VFD and a link to where it's purchased?
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

762x51 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:56 am Would you let us know the make and model # of the VFD and a link to where it's purchased?
Yup, a .pdf link to the manual would be a big help.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Mmedeiros89 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:54 pm Hey everyone. So this is a little embarrassing, but I somehow managed to fry my VFD, and Acorn. I have never wired up a VFD to a breakout board before. I thought I had done it properly, but obviously not. Th acorn was working perfectly before i tried hooking up the VFD to it. I had the acorn powered on, and as soon as I plugged in the 220 to the VDF, pop went the acorn and vfd :cry: . The strange thing is the acorn still moves my servos, go figure. Needless to say, i will be replacing both the acorn, and VFD, but obviously do not want to make the same stupid mistake twice. I've attached some images of the VFD, burnt out Acorn, and wiring diagram used. Hopefully I attached them correctly. Now, in the manual for the VFD, X1 is Forward run, X2 is Reverse Run, and X3 is stop. Com is obviously Com, and 10V is 10V positive i believe. Then there is ground to the left of 10V. I hooked the 10V and GND to the analog outputs on the Acorn, X1 to OC4, X2 to OC5, X3 to OC6, and COM to COM next to OC6. I did not hook up anything else other than that, and the power obviously. I had tested the VFD by itself prior to connecting it to the Acorn, and that worked by itself as well. I'm obviously still a beginner when it comes to this DIY cnc stuff, but enjoy doing it myself, that way, i know what to look for if anything goes wrong. If someone could help me figure out what i did wrong, it would be much appreciated. Thanks for your help everyone.
I believe you basically shorted the VFD 10V power supply to ground, when you connected them to Acorn. I believe your problem lies in this area. You also have jumpers on the VFD, usually for analog INPUT one or both have to be moved. Please post the manual......

I suggest you contact Centroid and be honest about your damaged Acorn. You are saying CNC12 comes up and Acorn still controls your motors? Yet you say you smoked it.....if CNC12 comes up, then your Beaglebone green is still ok. They may be able to sell you a motherboard. I don't know for sure....

More info and there are a ton of us willing to make suggestions and help but none of us willing to take responsibility and smoke a second Acorn and VFD. You in the end get to make the final decision. :mrgreen: (Nothing like a little bit of pressure)

We're here for ya....more info please
(Oh and if it helps make you feel better, I bet we have ALL let the magic smoke out at one time or another and kicked ourselves for doing it, but no mistake, no learning experience! ;) )

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ