Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Limitations on Network Cable?

Post by Gary Campbell »

I'm in the middle of acquiring parts for the 1st Acorn build, conversion to CNC of a G0752 lathe. On this build in particular and possibly in the future the net cable connecting the PC to the control box (at 15') is going to be much longer than desirable. I would like to source shorter cables, but before I do I have a few questions. Of course online suppliers confuse the issue with differing terminology.

Cable spec: Cat 5, Cat 5e Cat 6, Cat 6, Cat 7. OEM provided cable is Cat 5e. What is required or recommended? Are there any maximum or minimum requirements?

Not for this build, but the future: I would like to use an RJ45 bulkhead connector, which I assume will require passthru of the shield. Any sources? How about perceived issues with the connector and short patch cable inside the control box?

Last, but unrelated item: My Boxford lathe, along with a number of others I see being converted have a ball/lead screw protector that is a coil of spring steel that compresses within itself as the carriage moves. Anyone have a tradename or US source for these? See center of pic below.

Thanks in advance, GC
lathe.jpg
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Limitations on Network Cable?

Post by cnckeith »

Gary Campbell wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:25 am I'm in the middle of acquiring parts for the 1st Acorn build, conversion to CNC of a G0752 lathe. On this build in particular and possibly in the future the net cable connecting the PC to the control box (at 15') is going to be much longer than desirable. I would like to source shorter cables, but before I do I have a few questions. Of course online suppliers confuse the issue with differing terminology.

Cable spec: Cat 5, Cat 5e Cat 6, Cat 6, Cat 7. OEM provided cable is Cat 5e. What is required or recommended? Are there any maximum or minimum requirements? << shielded Ethernet cable Cat5e or better, up to 100 feet long, you can tell the shielded ones since they have a metal jacket around the connector. >>>

Not for this build, but the future: I would like to use an RJ45 bulkhead connector, which I assume will require passthru of the shield. Any sources? How about perceived issues with the connector and short patch cable inside the control box? << if you go this route it has to be a shielded bulk head connector so shield is not broken, i would connect straight to the Acorn board and avoid such in between connectors which are just begging for problems, see images attached for nice way to bring cables into an electrical cabinet. the two metal clamps with rubber seal are a centroid part, they are for sale.. all you do is cut a rectangular hole in the box and use this clamp system to strain relieve and seal around the incoming wires. the photos are from mectechmike's Acorn installation.>>>
strain relief 2.jpg
strain relief 1.jpg
strain relief 3.jpg
ethernet cable.JPG
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Fastest1
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Fastest1 »

Startech.com has them in all lengths
1st Acorn project. G0704/BDTools/Hoss Conversion De"maching"
Leadshine MX 3660
Repurposed above Acorn (#194) and an Ethernet 1616 to a UMC-10 with an 8 position tool changer.
CNC12 Pro/Digitizing ver 4.64 (1/31/2022)
Gary Campbell
CNC Control System Serial Number: Acorn 238

Post by Gary Campbell »

Thanks for the clarification guys
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
lilb93
CNC Control System Serial Number: 0216041209

Post by lilb93 »

Barnesville, PA.

I always thought it would take longer to grow old.
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

Gary Campbell wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:25 am I'm in the middle of acquiring parts for the 1st Acorn build, conversion to CNC of a G0752 lathe. On this build in particular and possibly in the future the net cable connecting the PC to the control box (at 15') is going to be much longer than desirable. I would like to source shorter cables, but before I do I have a few questions. Of course online suppliers confuse the issue with differing terminology.

Cable spec: Cat 5, Cat 5e Cat 6, Cat 6, Cat 7. OEM provided cable is Cat 5e. What is required or recommended? Are there any maximum or minimum requirements?

Not for this build, but the future: I would like to use an RJ45 bulkhead connector, which I assume will require passthru of the shield. Any sources? How about perceived issues with the connector and short patch cable inside the control box?

Last, but unrelated item: My Boxford lathe, along with a number of others I see being converted have a ball/lead screw protector that is a coil of spring steel that compresses within itself as the carriage moves. Anyone have a tradename or US source for these? See center of pic below.

Thanks in advance, GC

lathe.jpg
Just go to Amazon and search Cat6A Shielded cable. You'll turn up all sorts of lengths. Just make sure it has the tell tale metal shield around the RJ45 connector.

Then when you are done with that, search Amazon for Cat6a jacks....

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

I used this panel mount to pass the ethernet cable into my enclosure. As mentioned before, I have little free time and am as lazy as can be :lol: , so this one is really nice as it's shielded and you just need to drill a round hole and a couple of screw holes. This place was cheaper than every other place I found them, even ebay. I dunno, but I think Switchcraft makes nice products.
http://www.winford.com/products/mjjsgf.php

Those rubber slotted "seals" Keith mentioned do look nice though...way easier to get all your wiring through.
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

As network speeds keep increasing, network cables have to improve to reduce EMI and crosstalk at the higher data speeds. Ethernet cable categories refer to the maximum bandwidth they can carry - from 10Mbps for CAT3 up to the latest CAT6a at 10Gbps. Cables are downward compatible so, as long as you get one that is CAT5 or greater and is SHIELDED, you should be good to go.

The same criteria applies to couplers and feedthroughs. As long as they are rated at least CAT5 and shielded they should work as well.

Cheers,

Tom
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
ScotY

Post by ScotY »

Do you know if these guys sell directly or do you have to go through a dealer? Curious to know a rough idea what they cost.