DMM AC servo spindle and C axis. Parts ordered!

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

Gary Campbell
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:32 pm
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
MPU11 & GPIO4D -w/ 3rd Party Drives: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No
System Serial Number: C8FD19D3C3E1-1109170238
Location: Marquette, MI

Re: DMM AC servo spindle and C axis. Parts ordered!

Post by Gary Campbell » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:52 am

"Keep us posted and do post pictures!"

+ one to that!
GCnC Control
CNC Control & Retrofits
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos

frijoli
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:03 pm
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
MPU11 & GPIO4D -w/ 3rd Party Drives: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No
System Serial Number: none yet
Location: Outside Winston-Salem, NC

Re: DMM AC servo spindle and C axis. Parts ordered!

Post by frijoli » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:50 pm

Build started:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1184

Can't go in success stories yet. lol
Outside Winston-Salem, NC

frijoli
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:03 pm
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
MPU11 & GPIO4D -w/ 3rd Party Drives: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No
System Serial Number: none yet
Location: Outside Winston-Salem, NC

Re: DMM AC servo spindle and C axis. Parts ordered!

Post by frijoli » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:54 pm

DMM servos shipped today.
Should see them Wednesday.

I'll pop up a photo and maybe a video if I can get it bench tested over the coming holidays.
Outside Winston-Salem, NC

frijoli
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:03 pm
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
MPU11 & GPIO4D -w/ 3rd Party Drives: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No
System Serial Number: none yet
Location: Outside Winston-Salem, NC

Re: DMM AC servo spindle and C axis. Parts ordered!

Post by frijoli » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Started my bench test wiring for the DYN4 spindle drive.

Can someone double check my encoder connections?
Acorn to DYN4
1 = nc
2 = nc
3 = 8
4 = 2
5 = 3
6 = 4
7 = 6
8 = 7
9 = nc
Attachments
DYN4 encoder out.JPG
Acorn encoder in.JPG
Acorn encoder in.JPG (22.22 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Bench test prep.jpg
Outside Winston-Salem, NC

ScotY
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:57 pm
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
MPU11 & GPIO4D -w/ 3rd Party Drives: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No
System Serial Number: none
Location: Honolulu, HI

Re: DMM AC servo spindle and C axis. Parts ordered!

Post by ScotY » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:17 pm

This is the diagram they sent to me. Haven’t gotten around to trying it out yet. Do you know how to reverse the motor direction? I kinda don’t see how you can given it’s using the 0-10v signal. :?
Attachments
4DB6F565-D4FE-4F77-9678-E6480DFC7278.png

martyscncgarage
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:01 pm
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
MPU11 & GPIO4D -w/ 3rd Party Drives: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No
System Serial Number: none
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: DMM AC servo spindle and C axis. Parts ordered!

Post by martyscncgarage » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:31 pm

You can't without inverting the signal. I hope Centroid changes this in future hardware revision to match what Oak and All in One DC does.

I have a circuit that works when it gets a 5vdc input it inverts it.

Need to find a place to make PC boards. Etching by hand is too time consuming.

You can use step/dir signals and treat it as a C axis. I think that's what Frijole's plan is.
Last edited by martyscncgarage on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jack of all trades, master of none!"
Mesa, AZ

frijoli
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:03 pm
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
MPU11 & GPIO4D -w/ 3rd Party Drives: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No
System Serial Number: none yet
Location: Outside Winston-Salem, NC

Re: DMM AC servo spindle and C axis. Parts ordered!

Post by frijoli » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:36 pm

ScotY wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:17 pm
This is the diagram they sent to me. Haven’t gotten around to trying it out yet. Do you know how to reverse the motor direction? I kinda don’t see how you can given it’s using the 0-10v signal. :?
Thanks for that image. It looks like I was correct.

My firmware is different than yours. On mine pin 14 of JP4 is used to change the direction for the analog(speed mode). I am not certain if this how this works normally. I'll see if the manual has any clear instructions.

Clay
Outside Winston-Salem, NC

frijoli
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:03 pm
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
MPU11 & GPIO4D -w/ 3rd Party Drives: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No
System Serial Number: none yet
Location: Outside Winston-Salem, NC

Re: DMM AC servo spindle and C axis. Parts ordered!

Post by frijoli » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:38 pm

martyscncgarage wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:31 pm
You can't without inverting the signal. I hope Centroid changes this in future hardware revision to match what Oak and All in One DC does.

I have a circuit that works when it gets a 5vdc input it inverts it.

Need to find a place to make PC boards. Etching by hand is too time consuming.
According to DMM this is possible with the DYN4 drive. I had that in writing before I purchased. I don't know how to do it on the standard firmware, but they assured me that they do it now.

Clay
Last edited by frijoli on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside Winston-Salem, NC

martyscncgarage
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:01 pm
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
MPU11 & GPIO4D -w/ 3rd Party Drives: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No
System Serial Number: none
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: DMM AC servo spindle and C axis. Parts ordered!

Post by martyscncgarage » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:41 pm

frijoli wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:38 pm
martyscncgarage wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:31 pm
You can't without inverting the signal. I hope Centroid changes this in future hardware revision to match what Oak and All in One DC does.

I have a circuit that works when it gets a 5vdc input it inverts it.

Need to find a place to make PC boards. Etching by hand is too time consuming.
According to DMM this is possible with the DYN4 drive. I had that in writing before I purchased. I don't know how to do it on the standard firmware, but they assured me that they do it now.

Clay
That would be cool. But they would need an input to reverse I would imagine
"Jack of all trades, master of none!"
Mesa, AZ

frijoli
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:03 pm
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
MPU11 & GPIO4D -w/ 3rd Party Drives: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No
System Serial Number: none yet
Location: Outside Winston-Salem, NC

Re: DMM AC servo spindle and C axis. Parts ordered!

Post by frijoli » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:45 pm

martyscncgarage wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:41 pm
frijoli wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:38 pm
martyscncgarage wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:31 pm
You can't without inverting the signal. I hope Centroid changes this in future hardware revision to match what Oak and All in One DC does.

I have a circuit that works when it gets a 5vdc input it inverts it.

Need to find a place to make PC boards. Etching by hand is too time consuming.
According to DMM this is possible with the DYN4 drive. I had that in writing before I purchased. I don't know how to do it on the standard firmware, but they assured me that they do it now.

Clay
That would be cool. But they would need an input to reverse I would imagine
Here you go! :)

Quote from the email chain:
ME: "Hi Michael,
For the spindle control it only has a 0-10v output signal for controlling speed.
It was designed to be used with a VFD with a dry contact connection for
reversing direction.
It has a quadrature encoder input for the spindle motor, so threading and
rigid tapping are available.

Response from DMM:

The drive can switch direction using an input so the 0~10V input is no problem.
Also our encoder output is line drive. It's the industry standard ABZ encoder output and the Centroid will have no problem reading from it.

Regards,

Michael Tien "

PIN 14 is a programmable input.
Outside Winston-Salem, NC

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pulsenpal and 2 guests