Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

What size motor for x and z? lathe

Post by frijoli »

Do you think we could put together a chart for mill and lathe conversions?
Conversion machine- Axis- Screw type- Lead/pitch- drive ratio- motor brand- type- rating- voltage
For me it would be:
Emco compact 8 - C - none - none - 1:1 - DMM - Servo - 2.4N/M - 200V
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
762x51
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: B0D5CC56DD75-0605170063 , 985DAD4295CF-0928170127 , 38D2694E4703-1222170401
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No

Re: What size motor for x and z? lathe

Post by 762x51 »

I'll be starting testing of the Techno Isel Router this evening.

I have all of the parts for the DM-3000 except the ClearPath servo mounting plates that I'll have to have made and I haven't bought the drive belt pulleys yet. I hope to start on the DM-3000 early next year.

Regarding the router
I want to try using it as a low cost CMM machine and have found a cheap Renishaw TP2 5W probe and PH6 mount on eBay.
If that works then it will be a neat use of the router and then I'll have to get off my wallet and get the "Ultimate" version of CNC12 to get full usage of the router as a CMM.
Dave_C
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Dave_C »

Posting a chart for lathe and mill conversion is like asking someone how big of a truck do you need without knowing what they are going to haul.

Great idea and it would be very helpful, but not all lathes and mills have the same needs:

For example, how fast do you want to accelerate, how much mass are you going to move and how fast do you want to move it and how much load will it encounter while you are moving it.

Stalling steppers is a bad thing and can ruin a part or a machine, depending on how much power the machine has or does not have.

Hobbyist tend to be more patient as far as speed is concerned so they tend to lean toward the slower movements and even to safety of slower speed as they learn CNC. Too fast and you may break something, so slow can be good.

As we get better and the machines we convert get larger so does the need for power and speed.

I'm running 1,200 oz in hybrid closed loop steppers on my 12 X 36 lathe with 72 VDC power supply. It works great but I have quite a bit of mass to move with the large apron and cross slide.

So direct gearing (1:1) 2,000 steps per rev, .200" lead screws and theoretically I have .0001" per step resolution.

I'm getting ready to do a 1,000 pound Grizzly Mill Model # 0678 and I will use about the same power on the X & Y but less on the Z as I am not moving the head, just the quill which is spring balanced already.

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes

Post by frijoli »

Dave_C wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:50 am Posting a chart for lathe and mill conversion is like asking someone how big of a truck do you need without knowing what they are going to haul.

Great idea and it would be very helpful, but not all lathes and mills have the same needs:

Dave C.
Didn't ask for someone to size my motors, I asked if we could put a list together. I do admit I worded that awkwardly to seem that's what I was asking. My bad.

However using your analogy; Can you tell me if my Chevy 1500 can haul 2 tons of gravel?
Pretty sure most people would say, no. Can it? Maybe.
F800 Ford dump, yes.
F900 Ford dump,yes.
Maybe we don't know what we're going to haul yet but we know what machine we're going to use, and we know what other people ARE using.
That's what the list is for. So others can gain from which they have no experience.
We can all say that a .1Nm motor won't work on the Z axis of a 100HP Leblond, but I can guarantee you someone in this groups knows what's working right now.
It's not about trying to tell me what I need it's about telling me what's working. At least I have a reference.

:)

Clay
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
Dave_C
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Dave_C »

Well, I didn't mean to be critical but I DID post what I am using including the ratio, pitch, in oz and machine type and size.

So that is one example,

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.