Need help: Is my VFD/Spindle compatible (Emerson SE & HSD ES919)?

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

muibubbles
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Need help: Is my VFD/Spindle compatible (Emerson SE & HSD ES919)?

Post by muibubbles »

Hey everyone, I've been rebuilding/retrofitting an AXYZ 5014 CNC router for the past few months and was trying the MESA i525/7i76 board with linuxcnc. I got movement in the table however I'm completely lost with the programming side of linuxcnc. After finding out about the Acorn and some more research this looks very exciting as I think it will make my life a million times easier.

After looking into schematics and some videos, I didn't find much information about setting up the VFD & Spindle (understanding that there are so many options every setup will be different). Since I don't really understand how the VFD/Spindle and controller communicate with each other, I just wanted to see if anyone could verify if my current VFD/Spindle is compatible before I make the purchase. I think I prematurely bought the MESA boards so I don't want to make another mistake costing more money and time!

VFD Emerson SE
Literature: http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en-EN/ ... COMMSE.pdf

Spindle HSD ES919
Literature: http://support.technocnc.com/pdf/HSD_el ... indles.pdf

Both are running off 220v 3phase (does that matter as I saw on one of the diagrams it only lists 220v single phase for the spindle)

Thanks in advance!
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Need help: Is my VFD/Spindle compatible (Emerson SE & HSD ES919)?

Post by cnckeith »

the Acorn doesn't care or need to know what main input voltage the VFD is connected to. so you could have a VFD connected to 110 Vac wall outlet running a small 3 phase spindle motor, or 220 vac single phase running a 5hp motor, or 220 vac three phase or 380 vac three phase or 440 vac three phase running huge motors.... All of these combinations work with Acorn. Its up to you to purchase the correct VFD to match the motor HP and voltage that you want to connect it to. the single phase input options such as 110 vac, and 220 vac single phase are popular with guys that have machines at home and don't have access to three phase power. as far as Acorn is concerned it works with all of those configurations.
Connections from VFD to Acorn....
the Acorn simply provides a speed signal to any VFD via the Acorn analog output connector. (H8 on the Acorn) to tell the VFD what RPM (Hz) to run at.
all the Acorn H8 analog output is: is a DC voltage between 0 and 10 volts. where 0 = 0 RPM and 10 = Max RPM 5 = 1/2 max speed , etc..etc.
so when the Acorn see a g code command like M3 S6000 (and 6000 is the maximum RPM) the Acorn outputs a steady 10 vdc on H8 analog out connector and then the VFD knows to output the proper Hertz to spin the motor at 6000 RPM. and if this command was issued M3 S3000 the analog output would be 5 vdc. etc..

then there are other very simple connections from the Acorn to the VFD .
1.) Spindle direction (forward/ reverse)
2.) Fault/ Drive Reset (a signal from Acorn to stop the drive Estop condition)
3.) Drive OK (a signal from the VFD to Acorn to let Acorn know that the drive is good to run or not)

check out this Generic Acorn to VFD schematic attached.
Attachments
S14814-ACORN CONNECTIONS TO GENERIC VFD.pdf
(62.72 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html