Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: G0678 CNC Conversion Thread

Post by ScotY »

I’m no genius but it looks like you have the shield wire connected to one of the pins on the DB9. According to your wiring chart, I don’t see any connection for the shield. And I’m not sure which pin number it’s connected to...must be #10? Have you tried spinning the encoder off the machine but at a higher speed than you could achieve by hand? Perhaps it’s not wired correctly but if rotated slowly it can somehow count? Dunno...knock on wood, my cheap fake Chinese encoder has been working flawlessly.
ScotY
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes

Post by ScotY »

I can’t see the PIN numbers on the other side of the DB9 but it seems wired backwards?
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Dave_C wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:02 pm Marty,

Since no one seems to have seen this issue before I'm wondering if it might be a software glitch? If I did not know any better I'd say the spindle is trying to sync to something and can't!

I will have a different computer here in a week to 10 days and I think I'll just do a complete clean install from scratch and see if that does anything.

I can duplicate all of my wizard settings without any problem so unless someone at Centroid has a better idea, that is the plan.

Dave C.
Since you did post a report, hopefully Scott will chime in.
I am on the road trying to be somewhat helpful.
Have you checked the All IN One DC install and mill operator's manual to read up on the error.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

Let me ask, when in the PID menu watching the encoder count does the asterisk plash indication the index pulse is working? You will have to turn it very slowly. It should flash next to encoder 5
Just something to check.
Also, you used shielded twisted pair cable on the encoder.
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

I can’t see the PIN numbers on the other side of the DB9 but it seems wired backwards?
The pin numbers start at 1 on the lower right side in the picture and go CC 1,2,3,4,5 around the lower outside edge. So Pin 9 is the last pin on the top right. There is a ground terminal in the top row and the shield is connected to it. It is marked GND. So the top row is GND, 6,7,8,9.

If it were wired wrong I would not get the pulse counts that I ett in the test! It outputs 10000 pulses in 1 turn 20000 in two and so one and will count up or down without error.

Marty, I'm not sure if the asterisk pulses or not but it is there beside #5.

Dave C.
Last edited by Dave_C on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
martyscncgarage

The index pulse should only blink when it passes. it should not be on other wise.
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Marty,

I'll boot it up and check that pulse asterisk. BTW, it is shielded wire, factory, not spliced, tinned ends. typical 2 meters in length, not run in any other wiring conduit or bundle.

Results in a few,

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Ok, I'm Back!

The Asterisk does pulse when I turn the spindle by hand, so that is what it should do.

Now for some other test. I took the belt off the spindle pulley and hit "start" while in manual mode. The motor will start and run!

While in the main front page I turn the spindle by hand it I get RPM readings on the screen!

I try to run the spindle and I get Error 455 Spindle Axis (5) Encoder Quadrature Error.

I looked it up in the book and it says "The axis encoder skipped a transition state on its count up/down sequence. May indicate a bad encoder or a loose or severed encoder cable. This will stop all motion and cancel the job."

Bad Encoder?

Dave C.
Centroid_Tech

Post by Centroid_Tech »

Dave,

The Encoder Quadrature Error means that the signals skipped a beat. That means that instead of seeing A-B-A-B-A-B, the control saw A-B-A-A-B-A. That is typically a signal integrity issue which means that it's either an issue with the encoder or the cabling connections. If the encoder counts in the PID menu that means that the control saw a transition from a high signal to a low signal or vice versa. Since this is a spindle encoder and it's not being used for positioning, those Encoder Quadrature Error messages and faults are not that critical and they can be bypassed. From the main screen press F1(Setup)->F3(Config)->F3(Params). Set parameters 334 and 335 to 255.
When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report. Find out how to take a report from your Acorn, CNC11 or CNC10 system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

If your question is PLC, Macro or program related, please also post a copy of the program or macro as well.

Without the above information we may not be able to help and/or reply until the required information is posted..
martyscncgarage

Would it not be critical for rigid tapping? Or will it still function well for that?

I'd almost want to find out if it's a flakey encoder or poor connection. But that's me...
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Marty, I'm with you on the flaky encoder but for the time being, I'll change the parameters for now and see if it will run.

Automation finally said they would do an RMA but I have to call them and go through all that on the phone.

Dave C.