Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: G0678 CNC Conversion Thread

Post by Dave_C »

Ok, control panel is just about finished. Acorn is installed, power supplies are all in and almost all wired. I will wire up the last of them as I go through my startup and test procedure.

I got the calibration cable in for the closed loop steppers so the first thing I will do is change the Enable state of the drive enables and the alarm states so they match the acorn board "drive Ok" circuit. I need it to all be normally closed circuits on the alarm states.

Then I will reprogram the drive since I added a braking resistor. I'll need faster accel and de-cell times plus I need to set the drive reset input.

All in all it is going pretty well. Once this is all checked out I will order my ball screws and start making the mounting blocks and some motor plates.

I spend more time waiting on parts to arrive than I do working, but hey, what else is there to do when it is cold outside?

Dave C.
Attachments
1226171853.jpg
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Very nice and VERY clean job!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by frijoli »

Good looking panel. Hope mine comes out as well.

Clay
Last edited by frijoli on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
martyscncgarage

Hey Dave
Go check out the challenge just posted....
:D
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Ok, I see no challenge to check out!

However, speaking of challenges, I've ran into one I can not solve.

Today was panel testing day: VFD works flawless with the new programming I did. .5 sec decl and .5 sec accl. Braking resistor works as well. You can hit spindle forwd and then spindle rev without stopping and the motor responds just fine. It should rigid tap very well once I get the encoder.

All voltages are checked out, 24 vdc to Acorn, 5 vdc to the + pulse and step on all three axis, 72 VDC to the big motors. 36 VDC to the little one, So that's all good. Commons are tied as per the drawing!

E Stop works, wizard set to no limit switched for now, touch screen is working fine.

Just one problem! All three of the motors go into alarm when I try to move them. I can move them a few thou and then I get a follow error when I hook up the cable to the motors and read the fault report.

I don't have the enable or the alarm ports hooked up at this time so they are not the issue here. The enable is "enabled" by default.

Motors don't sound right when I jog in step mode.

The nice thing about having the cable for the motors is that I can go into the motors and see what the step is set for. The Nema 23 is set for 4,000 steps per rev and the Nema 34 motors are set for 2,000 steps per rev. The Nema 23 will have a 2 to one pulley setup so I doubled the revs per motor turn.

Could this be a double edge pulse verses a single edge pulse issue? I didn't have this problem when I used these motors before with a Smooth Stepper and a CM 126 breakout board. But then it output 5 VDC control signals and not 24 like this one. (thus the dual voltage power supply on top of my 36 VDC power supply)

I'm stumped,

Report attached!

Dave C.
Attachments
report_985DAD490575-1006170161_2017-12-27_15-27-03.zip
(146.77 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
martyscncgarage

Dave_C wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:48 pm Ok, I see no challenge to check out!

However, speaking of challenges, I've ran into one I can not solve.

Today was panel testing day: VFD works flawless with the new programming I did. .5 sec decl and .5 sec accl. Braking resistor works as well. You can hit spindle forwd and then spindle rev without stopping and the motor responds just fine. It should rigid tap very well once I get the encoder.

All voltages are checked out, 24 vdc to Acorn, 5 vdc to the + pulse and step on all three axis, 72 VDC to the big motors. 36 VDC to the little one, So that's all good. Commons are tied as per the drawing!

E Stop works, wizard set to no limit switched for now, touch screen is working fine.

Just one problem! All three of the motors go into alarm when I try to move them. I can move them a few thou and then I get a follow error when I hook up the cable to the motors and read the fault report.

I don't have the enable or the alarm ports hooked up at this time so they are not the issue here. The enable is "enabled" by default.

Motors don't sound right when I jog in step mode.

The nice thing about having the cable for the motors is that I can go into the motors and see what the step is set for. The Nema 23 is set for 4,000 steps per rev and the Nema 34 motors are set for 2,000 steps per rev. The Nema 23 will have a 2 to one pulley setup so I doubled the revs per motor turn.

Could this be a double edge pulse verses a single edge pulse issue? I didn't have this problem when I used these motors before with a Smooth Stepper and a CM 126 breakout board. But then it output 5 VDC control signals and not 24 like this one. (thus the dual voltage power supply on top of my 36 VDC power supply)

I'm stumped,

Report attached!

Dave C.
Dave, it sounds to me that the motors and drives arent configured properly? Likely encoder setup? For them to fault and alarm. You will recall my video. It ran fine until I unplugged the encoder. No feedback = alarm/fault. If something isn't setup properly that could be it.
My motors were configured for 1000ppr, so I set Acorn to 4000 counts per ref and it worked fine. Did you start with defaults or did you change anything with respect to the encoder settings? I DO NOT have the software cable. I ran it straight away out of the box.
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Marty,

I did not realize you would need to change the encoder counts since there is no encoder feedback to Acorn.

The default for the motors was something like 200 pulses per rev and I always use 2000 with these as it produces the quietest moves.

So with a 1,000 line encoder do I need to change the 8,000 default setting to 4,000?

Dave

Edit: I see no place to enter encoder counts except under the spindle setup. That is where I got the 8,000 as a default. I did do some voltage testing on the motor leads and one of my 8082H is not putting out any voltage between the A- and A+ terminals, all the rest are! So at least on of these controllers is DOA from the factory!
frijoli
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by frijoli »

Where do the encoders connect to those drives? I feel like there are wires missing. The drives are closed loop, but I don't see any encoder cables.

Clay
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Clay,

They were not hooked up when I took the pictures. I'm old but I'm not that far gone! :lol:

I did some more testing. I have a good working Mach 3 setup on my lathe about 12 feet from this machine that I am trying to build. The lathe uses the exact same drive and motor that I am using on the Mill X and Y axis. The 1200 oz with the 8082H driver.

So I made a step and direction cable out of cat 5 cable to run from my Mach 3 Breakout board to one of the motors. I powered up, started mach 3, made a jog move and the drive acted just like it did when hooked to acorn. It moved a small amount and then went into alarm.

I've checked the encoder wiring over and over and it is wired per the drawing. Top to bottom is Yellow, Green, Black, Blue, Red and white.

I've taken my Ohm meter and checked the motors and they all ohm out about the same, the smaller 3 phase motor ohms a little higher but equal from phase to phase. So motors seem to be good!

As I mentioned above, one of the drives puts out no voltage to the A- and A+ on one drive so it is definitely bad. (right out of the box)

It does not seem likely that all three of these would have drive issues but that appears to be what is going on.

So I'll contact AT and see what John says,

Dave C.
martyscncgarage

Dave_C wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:08 pm Clay,

They were not hooked up when I took the pictures. I'm old but I'm not that far gone! :lol:

I did some more testing. I have a good working Mach 3 setup on my lathe about 12 feet from this machine that I am trying to build. The lathe uses the exact same drive and motor that I am using on the Mill X and Y axis. The 1200 oz with the 8082H driver.

So I made a step and direction cable out of cat 5 cable to run from my Mach 3 Breakout board to one of the motors. I powered up, started mach 3, made a jog move and the drive acted just like it did when hooked to acorn. It moved a small amount and then went into alarm.

I've checked the encoder wiring over and over and it is wired per the drawing. Top to bottom is Yellow, Green, Black, Blue, Red and white.

I've taken my Ohm meter and checked the motors and they all ohm out about the same, the smaller 3 phase motor ohms a little higher but equal from phase to phase. So motors seem to be good!

As I mentioned above, one of the drives puts out no voltage to the A- and A+ on one drive so it is definitely bad. (right out of the box)

It does not seem likely that all three of these would have drive issues but that appears to be what is going on.

So I'll contact AT and see what John says,

Dave C.
Have you tried one motor and one drive at a time?
IS it possible that the step/dir signals need to be inverted?
Going from memory here, but I *think* its tab 4

We are all interested to know what it is.
Mesa, AZ