CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: G0678 CNC Conversion Thread

Post by martyscncgarage »

Dave_C wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:27 pm Marty,

I don't have my acorn board yet, I'm just testing circuits to make sure I know what I am doing. I'm not going to wire anything till I am positive I understand how it works!

The manual also says "The active level of alarm signal is software configurable". It would not make sense to check for continuity with my meter set to DC. I was checking to see if I wired the three controls alarm ports in series would the +/- terminals pass the circuit through. And no it did not. The circuit is open under normal conditions as it is set up now.

So if "The active level of alarm signal is software configurable", then I may be able to change it so it is closed on normal and opens on fault. (I don't like open loop safety circuits, I prefer closed so if something breaks or comes loose I get an alarm.)

I'm waiting on a reply to my email to see what the vendor says. Hopefully they will respond.

Dave C.
I agree with you Dave on the NC.
Let's see what John says.
I have a KL-5080H so maybe I will hook it up to my benchtest unit and give it a go if I have some time....
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No

Dave,
I dug out the KL-5080H I had and wired it up to the benchtest rig I have. I did an impromptu video and made it part of my Acorn Basics CNC series.
It is as I expected. +5VDC to Pulse+ and Dir+ on the drive and then Pulse- and Dir- to Acorn Step (pulse) and Dir outputs.
Fault/Alarm is as I expected and you deduced, it is NO. Wire FLT+ to an Acorn Input in the Wizard. Assign this DRIVE OK. Wire the FLT- to a common terminal.
I demonstrate all this in the video:
https://youtu.be/FQG0R1g-QRo
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Dave_C »

Marty,

Thanks for taking the time to do that video! As you stated, we had the step and direction figured out. I'll buy the cable as well and see if I can make the Alarm a N.C. circuit so that I can series all thee drives together.

I may just skip the "enable" function as they are normally enabled anyway as shipped. Or if I can program the drive correctly to be N.C. on the alarm circuit then I can wire each drive to its enable port as usual.

I'm still waiting on my Acorn board to arrive. (busy time of year, I know)

Great video and thanks again for doing it!

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
martyscncgarage

Dave_C wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:27 am Marty,

Thanks for taking the time to do that video! As you stated, we had the step and direction figured out. I'll buy the cable as well and see if I can make the Alarm a N.C. circuit so that I can series all thee drives together.

I may just skip the "enable" function as they are normally enabled anyway as shipped. Or if I can program the drive correctly to be N.C. on the alarm circuit then I can wire each drive to its enable port as usual.

I'm still waiting on my Acorn board to arrive. (busy time of year, I know)

Great video and thanks again for doing it!

Dave C.
No problem Dave. I hope to get two more of these NEMA 23 closed loop steppers from John at Automation Technologies and put them on my next Dyna DM2400 build.

The video applies to most Leadshine drives and clones I believe, so it may be helpful to others.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Progress:

My Adorn board arrived yesterday afternoon! I laid it all out, got familiar with it and this morning I downloaded the software from the web site to my PC (laptop actually) and ran the bench test.

The MPU updated (re-booted) and all sample programs ran as expected!

I watched the setup video twice just to be sure of what to expect, no surprises there and it was very easy to do.

I don't plan on running the Mill on this PC but it is more than capable, has two Ethernet connections (one wireless and one wired) and 16 Gig of memory plus touch screen. (quad core processor)

So today if my dual voltage power supply comes in from Jameco, I'll get the rest of the wiring done and put the control panel in the control box on the wall.

THEN I can start to make parts for the ball screw mounts. I like having my electronics all done and tested before I start hooking up motors to a machine. I like to be able to install, test, move and so on before I go on to the next step.

So far, so good! it will be awhile before I get any more done!

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
martyscncgarage

Dave_C wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:11 am Progress:

My Adorn board arrived yesterday afternoon! I laid it all out, got familiar with it and this morning I downloaded the software from the web site to my PC (laptop actually) and ran the bench test.

The MPU updated (re-booted) and all sample programs ran as expected!

I watched the setup video twice just to be sure of what to expect, no surprises there and it was very easy to do.

I don't plan on running the Mill on this PC but it is more than capable, has two Ethernet connections (one wireless and one wired) and 16 Gig of memory plus touch screen. (quad core processor)

So today if my dual voltage power supply comes in from Jameco, I'll get the rest of the wiring done and put the control panel in the control box on the wall.

THEN I can start to make parts for the ball screw mounts. I like having my electronics all done and tested before I start hooking up motors to a machine. I like to be able to install, test, move and so on before I go on to the next step.

So far, so good! it will be awhile before I get any more done!

Dave C.
Good to hear progress!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Question:

For those of you who have machines that work well, do you recommend adding the non-homing limits or does using soft limits provide enough safety so as not to crash into the end of travels?

Obviously I will install the 3 homing limits on X,Y and Z. Just asking about the "AUX" limit switches.

Thanks,

Dave C.
martyscncgarage

Dave_C wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:38 am Question:

For those of you who have machines that work well, do you recommend adding the non-homing limits or does using soft limits provide enough safety so as not to crash into the end of travels?

Obviously I will install the 3 homing limits on X,Y and Z. Just asking about the "AUX" limit switches.

Thanks,

Dave C.
Dave, since you are using closed loop steppers, I would say you can get by with the home/limit switch and soft limits.

Once setup properly, the soft limits work very well. Now if you had open loop steppers, adding limit switches at the end of the travel is OK, but you would have had to have lost steps for it to hit them.

My .02
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

My .02, Marty
Oh it's worth a lot more than that! Thanks for the confirmation, that gives me confidence that I am understanding what I am reading in the manual.

Dave C.
martyscncgarage

Dave_C wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:24 pm
My .02, Marty
Oh it's worth a lot more than that! Thanks for the confirmation, that gives me confidence that I am understanding what I am reading in the manual.

Dave C.
As inexpensive as the Automation Technologies closed loop steppers are, I don't think I will used open loop steppers anymore.
Better, quieter, reliable performance.
Mesa, AZ