Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: G0678 CNC Conversion Thread

Post by martyscncgarage »

Nice work and thanks for the update Dave!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Dave_C »

Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes

Dave_C wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:09 pm Video's
https://youtu.be/rzBCprsDj10

https://youtu.be/kHi-lq5O2fE

Dave C.
Very nice Dave, boy you are gaining on it fast!

By the way if you want to put a preview of your YouTube videos in your message, Click on the YouTube button next to the NORMAL button above the mesage box put the youtube tag only inbetween the two bracketed YouTube words
for example rzBCprsDj10 AND kHi-lq5O2fE

Try it, just edit your message.....

Otherwise it works just fine!!

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Progress Report:

I worked on my X and Y home switches today. I was able to make a "t-nut" type bar that fit in the original Y axis stop bracket. Since this was a nice sturdy bracket I just made a 4" long bar that fit in the slot, put a 1/4-20 set screw on one end and mounted the limit switch on the other end. The set screw lets me make fine adjustments if I need to move the switch. The down rod was already there as it was part of the original stop setup.

The X axis is not in the picture but I got it done later. Real simple, just a Honeywell Micro limit switch, not the cheap one, and it indexes off of the end bell on the table. It is mounted under the saddle but accessible if I need to replace it.

Motors are on order from Teknic along with some other minor stuff like the timing belt and pulleys for the Y axis, motor couplings and spider, X axis motor mount, and I think that will get me finished on the X and Y axis.

So no play until the stuff comes in!
0129181020.jpg
Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

looking good thanks for posting.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Progress Report:

Slow day, waiting on parts but the motor mount for the X axis came today as did the motor coupling. This is a cast iron motor mount and fits over the end of the bearing housing to make a nice clean aligned motor mount. You have to drill the pre-threaded holes the rest of the way through which removes the threads so you can bolt from the motor end into the table which hold the motor mount and the bearing in place using four 10-32 x 1.75" socket head cap screws.

I like this mount because it has some mounting spots that I can use to attached my tool table which goes over the top of the motor. Dual purpose idea, just like what Tormach does with the PCNC 1100. I'm going to add an additional idea by making some holes along the back edge to number and hold tools for jobs.

0131181401.jpg
I bought the mount from the same place I bought the ball screws. Automation 4 less.

Dave C.
martyscncgarage

Dave_C wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:45 pm Progress Report:

Slow day, waiting on parts but the motor mount for the X axis came today as did the motor coupling. This is a cast iron motor mount and fits over the end of the bearing housing to make a nice clean aligned motor mount. You have to drill the pre-threaded holes the rest of the way through which removes the threads so you can bolt from the motor end into the table which hold the motor mount and the bearing in place using four 10-32 x 1.75" socket head cap screws.

I like this mount because it has some mounting spots that I can use to attached my tool table which goes over the top of the motor. Dual purpose idea, just like what Tormach does with the PCNC 1100. I'm going to add an additional idea by making some holes along the back edge to number and hold tools for jobs.

0131181401.jpg

I bought the mount from the same place I bought the ball screws. Automation 4 less.

Dave C.
Dave, this supports your thrust bearing as well correct? Very clean. Looks like all you had to do was adapt it to the original table end bracket?
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Dave, this supports your thrust bearing as well correct? Very clean. Looks like all you had to do was adapt it to the original table end bracket?
Yes and No! This is a normal thrust bearing with the standard 40 mm round portion that normally is turned inside. (like I did on the Y axis front plate)

To use this motor mount you turn the 40 mm "stub" out and the motor mount fits precisely over the stub. Then just put the four bolts in and it all snugs up in line.

I went a step further and machined precise pockets on each of the support ends. I dialed in the existing bearing pockets for center and then using my DRO's I machined the square pockets and also did the bolt patterns. [this is why I made such a fuss about keeping the original ball screw center line both for height and front to back distance.

It worked out very well!

Dave C.
martyscncgarage

Dave_C wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:11 pm
Yes and No! This is a normal thrust bearing with the standard 40 mm round portion that normally is turned inside. (like I did on the Y axis front plate)

To use this motor mount you turn the 40 mm "stub" out and the motor mount fits precisely over the stub. Then just put the four bolts in and it all snugs up in line.

I went a step further and machined precise pockets on each of the support ends. I dialed in the existing bearing pockets for center and then using my DRO's I machined the square pockets and also did the bolt patterns. [this is why I made such a fuss about keeping the original ball screw center line both for height and front to back distance.

It worked out very well!

Dave C.
Would it be possible for you to take a couple more pictures, maybe from the end etc or shoot a little video explaining it?

It looks very clean. I found the mounts on A4Less, a little pricey but sturdy.
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Ok, Video it is!

https://youtu.be/kqLqRvMuCDI

Dave C.
Last edited by Dave_C on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.