Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: G0678 CNC Conversion Thread

Post by Dave_C »

Update:

I talked with John from Automation Technologies about 11:00 am today. I'm from the mid-west so John is a bit hard for me to understand! We talked for quite a bit and he agreed to pay for the return shipping and test all three of these motors and drives to see what he can find out. He says he has sold many of these and no issues! I have two others and I agree, no issues.

If I understood John correctly, he has an Acorn board and he will have his tech test one of the NEMA 23's and one of the NEMA 34's to make sure they work as we are trying to hook them up. (per Marty's video) John also studied the picture I sent him of my panel and agreed, all wired correctly.

He seemed to be confused as to whether Marty got his working, I told him he did as you can see it work in Marty's video. So some disconnect there!

If I understood John, he said Leadshine has gone out of business! Anyone able to confirm that? I'm hopping I did not hear that right.

John did agree to go ahead and send me new motors and drives as soon as the tech can verify they work, not waiting on my motors to come back.

So I guess you can't ask for more than that.

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
Dave_C
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Dave_C »

Update:

I did some research on Leadshine and it looks like they are still in business. I think what John was trying to say was that Leadshine does not make the NEMA 23 as a 3 phase motor any more. I see all of their new closed loop stepper are 2 phase.

Basically I have had to prove that none of this was any mistake on my part! Taking pictures, running test and so on until John said "you not wired wrong".

John was having his tech do some testing, they are having the same problems that I had. John thought it was encoder cable problems, said he would call me back in an hour, that was yesterday.

So I take it they are still trying to resolve the issues!

So two weeks or wire, un-wire, test this, move it over to the other machine [that works], test it there and so on. Then my Dad passes away (he was in his 90's) so my stress level has been a little off the chart.

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Dave_C wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:52 am Then my Dad passes away (he was in his 90's) so my stress level has been a little off the chart.
I'm so sorry to hear that Dave; my sincere condolences to you & your family.
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Update:

John from Automation Technologies called this morning. Apparently Leadshine had an issue with some encoder cables. John was able to make a setup work at his shop but said if I was not comfortable using these motors he would take them back with a full refund.

So back they go and I will change over to the Teknic Clearpath motors.

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has used these motors as to what size to use.

I want the ELN series and I am thinking the larger the better. Speed is not an issue as the 730 RPM servo will give me 143 IPM and that is fast enough for me. I've weighed the table of the mill on a scale and it weighs 105#, the saddle about 40# and the vice about #35 #. So that's quite a bit of mass to move from a dead start. (Plus any part in the vice)

I have a 72 VDC torroid (sp) power supply with dual 10 amp outputs that can be slaved for higher output. So 72 x 20 = 1440 watts of power. Each 10 amp output has dual 10,000 MFD caps so back EMF should not be an issue.

Any advice?

Dave C.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Ok, Clearpath issues are taken care of thanks to the Engineer from Teknic.

So I reworked the control panel last night and set it up for the three clearpath motors. I don't think it looks as good as before but with the door closed, who cares!

I did the best I could reusing the space.

I have an 8 terminal strip for each motor since each motor has 8 wires. I made labels in Excel, laminated them and stuck them above each terminal strip with the sire color and a description of the function.

So whoever gets this machine after I'm gone will have a way to un-wire the motor leads, move the machine and get it back together again.

I also added wire Ferrells on the ends of all the wires which I think makes them look better and it helps keep any small wires from causing shorts. (I bought them on Amazon as well as the crimpers in case you can't find them locally)

Next step is to buy my ball screws, nuts and thrust bearings and start making mounting parts.

I'm playing with Acorn without the motors, making some intercon programs, running them, hitting travel limits to see what happens and all that stuff while there is no risk of hurting anything.

I find the Centroid sftware pretty easy to learn compared to Mach 3. Mach 3 is kind of goofy about certain things to say the lease.

Gotta order some metal and other stuff! :D

Dave C.
Attachments
0104181941.jpg
DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

$10.00 says Dave lines up his house shoes exactly 90 deg. to the bed rail before going to sleep! :lol:

Seriously though, your controls setup looks fantastic. All your electrons are all marching in proper alignment before hitting the motors so there's no chance for error! ;)

Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Milton,

Too funny! I tend to drive a lot of people nuts but the wife and I are both just alike, it works for us, and it just makes life easier for me to have things in order and know where things are.

It must be a personality disorder or order, depends on how you look at it but it has helped me in lots of ways when it comes to doing complicated work. I can compartmentalize things and see them in my head instead of having to have it all drawn out.

So yes, I'm a visual learner, not so much from books or manuals, but if I can see it I can make it! (mostly I've just learned from others)

Like my 32 track studio that I built all the console cabinets and desk and wired all the electronics, both the video editing suit and the sound gear.

I'm a nut! No cords exposed and no wiring to trip over! I don't use it much since I spend most of my time now working on CNC stuff.

Dave C.
Attachments
0810142010.jpg
DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Wow, that studio's really impressive! :o So how do you make really great musical creations without beer bottles & overflowing ashtrays lying around? (Nothing illegal in the ashtrays of course.) :lol:

DICKEYBIRD

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Ah HAH! I looked closer at the pic & saw your R/C Pattern trophy. Should'a known, a freakin' pattern pilot! Lemme guess, you wore a club shirt with your name embroidered on it & spotless white tennis shoes! ;) (Just KIDDING!)

Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Milton,

Yeah the bottles and ashtrays would be a problem. That is why it is a "private" studio and I rarely ever had anyone else in. I did do a couple of sessions here but it was for some friends whom did not trash the place. I built the studio for me to do DEMO's of songs that I wrote. I started DAVECO publishing back in the day before I figured out the little guy had no chance of breaking into the big bucks. That has changed some today with You Tube where musicians can get paid on a per play basis.

Oh yeah the Pattern flying. What a joke, I won second place only because there were just two entries into the Sportsman category. I never stayed with it long enough to get good at the patterns. I did fly normal RC stuff very well but the pattern flying takes a lot of time and that was about the time I had the Open Heart surgery issues.

So I gave all of my RC fleet to my son. I still have the JR Vibe 90 Heli! (for sale if someone likes that stuff)

So yea, you live long enough you get to see and do a lot of things. Some good, some not so good....

Dave C.

P.S. Miltom owes someone $10! The shoes go in the walk-in closet, on a floor shelf, and in a row. :lol: