Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: G0678 CNC Conversion Thread

Post by Dave_C »

Yup, Zero backlash ball screws!

I stopped and made a short 1 minute video of the panel and the mill. I will have a spindle load meter in the mill panel where that blank window is now. The toggle switch is the master switch for "power on" relay in the control panel.

https://youtu.be/DeBQihMp2Pc

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Dave_C wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:12 pm Yup, Zero backlash ball screws!

I stopped and made a short 1 minute video of the panel and the mill. I will have a spindle load meter in the mill panel where that blank window is now. The toggle switch is the master switch for "power on" relay in the control panel.

https://youtu.be/DeBQihMp2Pc

Dave C.
Awesome Dave! Keep up the good work!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Dave_C »

I need help with wiring my hybrid servo drives. I have three axis, all wire the same and I am attaching the wiring diagram from the drive manufacture. As you can see the step, direction and enable work on 5 VDC inputs while it looks like the alarm output is possibly on open collector. (not sure)

The drawing recommends using 0.125W resistors if the control voltage is 24 VDC which I believe is what the acorn board supplies. I bought 0.250W resistors so as to have a safety margin.

Looking at drawing where it shows the VCC that would wire to PUL+, DIR+ and ENA+, where on the Acorn board does this connect? I think it should wire to 24vdc+ on the Acorn board, is that correct?

Then coming out of each of the drives controllers I think I need to hook PUL- to the resistor and then the end of the resistor to the Acron PUL terminal. Then from DIR- to the resistor and then the end of the resistor to the DIR terminal on the acorn board. The same with the Enable going from the ENA- to the resistor and then to the ENA terminal on the acorn board.

Is that right so far?

Now how to handle the Alarm circuits as they have to be wired in a series with a dry contact in the VFD and then also pass through the e-stop.

The drawing shows VCC (24vdc) hooked to a resistor and then the ALM+ terminal. Obviously in order to wire these in series I would not wire each servo drive the same way. I'm thinking I need to wire the first drive controller with the resistor on the ALM+ terminal, then out from the ALM- terminal over to the next drives ALM+ and so on ending up with the last ALM- terminal going to the dry contact in the drive and then from the drive to the E-Stop and then end up back at the Acorn board Input#8.

I don't want to let the smoke out so someone who knows how to do this please speak up!

Pic attached, The pic will open up correctly if you click on it.

Dave C.
Attachments
1215171829.jpg
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
martyscncgarage

Dave, use the dual voltage power supply. Supply +5VDC to the drives as shown. Yes, the - side of the drive goes to Acorn's step dir outputs.
Link to Jameco.com (Dual output power supply):
https://www.jameco.com/z/RD-35B-MEAN-WE ... 23380.html

Here is the manual to your drive: https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.c ... -8082H.pdf

It appears that the Alarm output can sink or source. To me that means feed the Acorn input to the positive terminal of your alarm input of the drive and the negative terminal from the drive goes to common.

See the attached Leadshine schematic as a guide.
Marty
Attachments
S14851-ACORN CONNECTIONS TO LEADSHINE DM SERIES DRIVE.pdf
(62.26 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Last edited by martyscncgarage on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Marty,

Ok, I'll change over to the dual voltage setup. I have the drive manual and the leadshine diagram but neither shows how the alarm circuit should be wired.

Dave.
martyscncgarage

Dave_C wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:53 pm Marty,

Ok, I'll change over to the dual voltage setup. I have the drive manual and the leadshine diagram but neither shows how the alarm circuit should be wired.

Dave.
I clarified the way I read the manual it in my post above. Yes, you'll have to series the alarm output of the drives.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Marty,

I think we are on the same page now. Before I jumped into this project I downloaded "ALL" of the Centroid wiring diagrams and studied them as best I could.

In doing so, I see the "Drive OK" circuit is a powered circuit just like the limit switch circuits are. So it makes sense that we would series the three drives by going from one to the next in a chain.

I did also download the drive manuals before hand and under the alarm section it says I can sink or source 20ma current at 24 V. So that means by using the Acorn "Drive Ok" circuit that is 24 vdc powered I can start at the acron board terminal, wire that to my first drive + terminal, then from that same drive, take the - terminal to the 2nd drives + terminal and so on till I finally take the 3rd drives - terminal to my NC contact in my VFD and then the other side of that NC contact to the Drive Ok input.

Just a closed loop, all drives in series!

Thanks for the time and the help.

I'll test one at a time when I get this functional!

Dave C.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Update:

I used these same closed loop hybrid servo motors on my lathe conversion but I did not wire up the ALM terminals. So today I powered up the lathe, took my volt meter and checked the ALM outputs to see what state they were in with no faults. They show no continuity between the + and the - terminals of the alarm output and after reading the controller manual again and again it says it is low impedance in normal operation and becomes high when it goes into error.

So its an Open Collector and I've written an email to Automation Technology to see what they recommend. I have the "Protune" software from Leadshine who is the manufacturer of this motors and controllers.

So in case anyone else is planing on using these motors the series loop we described in the above post will not work with the controller programmed as it comes from the supplier.

I have an old computer with a 9 pin serial port so I suppose I need to order the calibration cable and see if I can change some internal settings. I see Centroid wrote a note in Drawing S14851.DWG saying you need to invert the enable signals in the Acorn setup wizard but I can also change the enable settings if I use the protune software.

I'll post the proper way to do this once I get to the bottom of the issue.

I'm just doing pre-wiring work will I wait on my Acorn board to arrive. I don't like letting the magic smoke out of the box and so far I have not found a way to get it back in! ;)

Dave C.
martyscncgarage

Dave_C wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:36 pm Update:

I used these same closed loop hybrid servo motors on my lathe conversion but I did not wire up the ALM terminals. So today I powered up the lathe, took my volt meter and checked the ALM outputs to see what state they were in with no faults. They show no continuity between the + and the - terminals of the alarm output and after reading the controller manual again and again it says it is low impedance in normal operation and becomes high when it goes into error.

So its an Open Collector and I've written an email to Automation Technology to see what they recommend. I have the "Protune" software from Leadshine who is the manufacturer of this motors and controllers.

So in case anyone else is planing on using these motors the series loop we described in the above post will not work with the controller programmed as it comes from the supplier.

I have an old computer with a 9 pin serial port so I suppose I need to order the calibration cable and see if I can change some internal settings. I see Centroid wrote a note in Drawing S14851.DWG saying you need to invert the enable signals in the Acorn setup wizard but I can also change the enable settings if I use the protune software.

I'll post the proper way to do this once I get to the bottom of the issue.

I'm just doing pre-wiring work will I wait on my Acorn board to arrive. I don't like letting the magic smoke out of the box and so far I have not found a way to get it back in! ;)

Dave C.
Dave, did you connect an input from Acorn to Alarm+ and then perhaps measure between Alarm- and COM? Obviously put your meter in DC mode.
Not sure how you could trigger a fault other than maybe disconnecting power to the drive.
The manual says specifically it will source or sink +24VDC?:

"Alarm Signal: OC output signal, active when one of the following protection is activated:
over-voltage, over current and position following error. This port can sink or source 20mA
current at 24V. In default, the resistance between ALM+ and ALM- is low impedance in
normal operation and become high when HBS86 goes into error. The active level of alarm
signal is software configurable. See Hybrid servo software operational manual for more
detail."

Though since time is on your side, it certainly can't hurt to wait to see if John from Automation Technology can give you some reassurance.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Marty,

I don't have my acorn board yet, I'm just testing circuits to make sure I know what I am doing. I'm not going to wire anything till I am positive I understand how it works!

The manual also says "The active level of alarm signal is software configurable". It would not make sense to check for continuity with my meter set to DC. I was checking to see if I wired the three controls alarm ports in series would the +/- terminals pass the circuit through. And no it did not. The circuit is open under normal conditions as it is set up now.

So if "The active level of alarm signal is software configurable", then I may be able to change it so it is closed on normal and opens on fault. (I don't like open loop safety circuits, I prefer closed so if something breaks or comes loose I get an alarm.)

I'm waiting on a reply to my email to see what the vendor says. Hopefully they will respond.

Dave C.