Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 1030090099
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn output 3 - 8 wiring 24vdc?

Post by frijoli »

Just so I am clear since all schematics show the commons connected to 5vdc. Can I connect 24vdc to the common on the acorn board?

My relays are all 24vdc.
See my pic. Is this okay?
Attachments
acorn relay pic.PNG
acorn relay pic.PNG (15.05 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
unofficial ACORN fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/897054597120437/
Centroid_Tech2
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn output 3 - 8 wiring 24vdc?

Post by Centroid_Tech2 »

All the terminals marked "COM" on the ACORN board are connected together and are connected to the 24V com (-V or GND) of the power supply. The schematics show the 5vdc common (GND) connected to the "COM" terminals, not the +5vdc. You can not connect +5vdc or +24vdc to the "COM" terminals or you will short out the power supply and damage the ACORN board. Since your relays are 24vdc you would connect +24vdc from the ACORN power supply to the VCC terminal of the relay board and the the other side of the relay coils would connect to the output terminals. All the output terminals pull down to "COM" (GND) to turn on.
Attachments
24vdc relay board.PNG
Last edited by Centroid_Tech2 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When requesting support READ THIS POST first. viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Please ALWAYS post a FRESH report. To make a report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecvg0VJp1oQ.

(We pride ourselves on providing timely solid technical support but, without good information we may not be able to help and/or reply until such information is posted.)
frijoli
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by frijoli »

Centroid_Tech2 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:07 pm All the terminals marked "COM" on the ACORN board are connected together and are connected to the 24V com (-V or GND) of the power supply. The schematics show the 5vdc common (GND) connected to the "COM" terminals, not the +5vdc. You can not connect +5vdc or +24vdc to the "COM" terminals or you will short out the power supply and damage the ACORN board. Since your relays are 24vdc you would connect +24vdc from the ACORN power supply to the VCC terminal of the relay board and the the other side of the relay coils would connect to the output terminals. All the output terminals pull down to "COM" (GND) to turn on.
Thank you. I thought this was suspect.
That's what I get for doing this schematic while on vacation!
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

frijoli wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:03 pm
Centroid_Tech2 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:07 pm All the terminals marked "COM" on the ACORN board are connected together and are connected to the 24V com (-V or GND) of the power supply. The schematics show the 5vdc common (GND) connected to the "COM" terminals, not the +5vdc. You can not connect +5vdc or +24vdc to the "COM" terminals or you will short out the power supply and damage the ACORN board. Since your relays are 24vdc you would connect +24vdc from the ACORN power supply to the VCC terminal of the relay board and the the other side of the relay coils would connect to the output terminals. All the output terminals pull down to "COM" (GND) to turn on.
They beat me to it! :-)
Frijoli....I did a video on that board! :-)

https://youtu.be/tc8MYGzEFAY

At least you asked before you fired it up!
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
frijoli
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by frijoli »

martyscncgarage wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:47 pm
frijoli wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:03 pm
They beat me to it! :-)
Frijoli....I did a video on that board! :-)
At least you asked before you fired it up!
I saw the video Marty! I understood it when I saw the video, but when I looked at the Acorn schematics, they were all 5vdc. I couldn't get my mind wrapped around on how the circuit was completed when connected to 24vdc. Needless to say I wasn't comfortable with what I had drawn, so I waited. LOL

Clay
PS. once I got the response, I tested what I was doing and it worked great. Accept I can't reverse my DC motor with the board I have.
KBMG and SIMG.
Clay
near Winston-Salem, NC