Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Request: Keyboard shortcuts for all buttons in the VCP

Post by Fredsan »

I am trying to create my own control panel using a Pokeys57U, at this moment it is nothing more then a bunch of buttons nd wires on a breadboard, but it is working. Created some macro's to put behind the Aux buttons, and it all works.

Unfortunately not all buttons in the vcp have a keyboard shortcut. I just read in another topic, that Centroid is working on the vcp which will give us some nice new features in a future release.

May I take the liberty to ask for keyboard shortcuts for all vcp buttons?

Another question: Is there an API available to read the status of the toggle buttons, I would like to connect some led's on my control panel to show the status of the toggle buttons.

I installed a touch screen, but it is not something I like to use.
diycncscott

Re: Request: Keyboard shortcuts for all buttons in the VCP

Post by diycncscott »

Nearly all keyboard shortcuts are already available simply by pressing Alt-J for keyboard jogging.

If you don't want to see the keyboard jogging image on the screen but still want to use the keyboard shortcuts, use the Wizard and go into the spindle setup to select USB jogging.

Note: You do need to have usb jogging enabled (alt-j toggles it) in order to use the keyboard shortcuts.

usbdevice.jpg
Attachments
usbjpactive.jpg
DICKEYBIRD
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

That's some great info, thanks!
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."
Fredsan

Post by Fredsan »

Hi Scott, indeed nearly all buttons have a keyboard shortcut, but not all. My request is for all buttons to have a keyboard shortcut.

I have both a touchscreen and a xkeys-pad connected and configured, but I like neither of them.

Currently there is no real pendant available for the Acorn, so I want to build me my own, call it a pendant or call it a control panel. Using arcade style pushbuttons in different colors and different shapes, with led's build-in connected to an Arduino or Pokeys board to emulate an USB keyboard.

My question whether there is an API available is I would like to read the status of the toggle buttons with the USB keyboard emulator, to connect some led's on my control panel to show the status of the toggle buttons.

Attached a picture of my first (very small) test setup on a breadboard, just to test the USB keyboard emulator, with the buttons I can Jog the X-axis, run macro's to home an Axis, switch on off keyboard jogging etc. Next to test is to add a small encoder to change the feedrate override. When all keyboard shortcuts are working I will start building the panel. If anybody is interrested in this I can start a new topic to show the progress of the build.

Also it would be nice to have more than 12 Aux buttons, I already use 8 buttons for homing each axis individually and zero each axis.
Attachments
IMG_1335.JPG
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Fredsan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:18 pm Hi Scott, indeed nearly all buttons have a keyboard shortcut, but not all. My request is for all buttons to have a keyboard shortcut.

I have both a touchscreen and a xkeys-pad connected and configured, but I like neither of them.

Currently there is no real pendant available for the Acorn, so I want to build me my own, call it a pendant or call it a control panel. Using arcade style pushbuttons in different colors and different shapes, with led's build-in connected to an Arduino or Pokeys board to emulate an USB keyboard.

My question whether there is an API available is I would like to read the status of the toggle buttons with the USB keyboard emulator, to connect some led's on my control panel to show the status of the toggle buttons.

Attached a picture of my first (very small) test setup on a breadboard, just to test the USB keyboard emulator, with the buttons I can Jog the X-axis, run macro's to home an Axis, switch on off keyboard jogging etc. Next to test is to add a small encoder to change the feedrate override. When all keyboard shortcuts are working I will start building the panel. If anybody is interrested in this I can start a new topic to show the progress of the build.

Also it would be nice to have more than 12 Aux buttons, I already use 8 buttons for homing each axis individually and zero each axis.
Did you know that Centroid is working on a nice wireless jog pendant?
Keyboard short cut keys are in the lathe or mill operators manuals. Not likely Centroid is going to add or change them at this time. You'd have to work with what is available.

Sounds like you are having fun learning a lot about the software!
What kind of machine are you controlling?
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
Fredsan

Post by Fredsan »

Hi Marty,

In another topic I read Centroid is working on changing the vcp, so I thought this would be the ideal time to ask for some miner additions ;)

I know Centroid is working on support for a XHC wireless pendant, but I always wanted to build a control panel. Not having a pendant available gave me a good excuse to start designing my own panel.

I do not run a jobshop, this is just a hobby for me. I admit it as a very nice hobby. I have only a small mill (Optimum BF20L converted to cnc) in my attic, and I am busy with designing a router. The router will be for milling wood. The Bf20L is for non-ferro, and to make the parts for the router.

When support for the wireless pendant becomes available, I will definitely buy one, to add it to the control panel.

In the meantime, almost every day the postman brings a small package with new parts. It is about time to start thinking about the layout of the panel. I will mostly use the same color buttons like in the vcp, and add additional button for macro's.

As soon all the parts are in, I will post some images in a new topic.
DICKEYBIRD
CNC Control System Serial Number: n/a yet

Post by DICKEYBIRD »

Fredsan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:18 pm Next to test is to add a small encoder to change the feedrate override. When all keyboard shortcuts are working I will start building the panel. If anybody is interested in this I can start a new topic to show the progress of the build.
Yes, I'm keenly interested in how you add the feed rate override encoder. If you could post a schematic (hand drawn would be fine) and the encoder type used I would be very grateful. I am always amazed by you fellows that really understand the Magic Smoke. ;) :D
Milton in Collierville, TN

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."